With Telnet can I change the mac address on a Dahua camera?

Reaction score
Would anyone have any instructions or direction on how to change or spoof this? Long story short, I've got a few cameras that appear to be Dahua, but they're either counterfeit or rebrands. The mac address sticker on the side of a few of the cams doesn't correspond to their actual address.

Reaction score
no, but whats changing it going to accomplish?
Surprisingly, we hired a contractor for our work to install these cameras, he didn't do the work (long story), and after endless hours of diagnosing I came to find out that some of the cameras have duplicate MAC Addresses (strange, but yes I verified this was the case). Was hoping there was a way to change the mac address inside the software by editing a file so I can use the cameras-- otherwise I've just got 5 cameras that aren't going to get used. I've got about 44 cameras on premise but I've also got another 5 that I can't use because they have identical mac addresses to 5 of the working 44.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Surprisingly, we hired a contractor for our work to install these cameras, he didn't do the work (long story), and after endless hours of diagnosing I came to find out that some of the cameras have duplicate MAC Addresses (strange, but yes I verified this was the case). Was hoping there was a way to change the mac address inside the software by editing a file so I can use the cameras-- otherwise I've just got 5 cameras that aren't going to get used. I've got about 44 cameras on premise but I've also got another 5 that I can't use because they have identical mac addresses to 5 of the working 44.
Something isn't adding up. MAC addresses are hard coded to the board/component. It is VERY VERY rare that a manufacture would duplicate these, especially in a large QTY which if you yourself receiving 5 indicates. A situation like this you should contact the manufacture and they should replace them. If you have some bootleg hardware sadly take this as a lesson learned and buy from a more reputable source... Especially if you are running such a large operation, running 50 cams you should have quality hardware and not be in a situation of thinking you have bootleg hardware.

Reaction score
Something isn't adding up. MAC addresses are hard coded to the board/component. It is VERY VERY rare that a manufacture would duplicate these, especially in a large QTY which if you yourself receiving 5 indicates. A situation like this you should contact the manufacture and they should replace them. If you have some bootleg hardware sadly take this as a lesson learned and buy from a more reputable source... Especially if you are running such a large operation, running 50 cams you should have quality hardware and not be in a situation of thinking you have bootleg hardware.
Oh, believe me, I completely understand the proper use of MAC addressing which is why it took so long for me to diagnose the issue. I find it odd that the sticker on the outside has a MAC address listed but the camera itself has a vastly different address. My Cisco switch was letting me know that a device was flapping between two separate ports so I took the cameras down and direct connected to each and verified the mac addressing issue. These cameras, sadly, weren't purchased by us but rather a contractor; I was just tasked with getting them in working order after he flaked. The majority of the cameras seem to be rebranded Dahua under the Ameta brand (Bullet Cameras - HD analog Cameras - Security Cameras). The issue is that since we didn't directly purchase these there is no way I can return them.

IT-man

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello friends.
Is there a way to change the MAC address & Serial number of dahua products(ipcamera or NVR) ?
Is it possible to do it via Telnet?

Last edited: