Worried about neighbors

jaygen

n3wb
Reaction score
Man I'm worried about what the neighbors are going to think when I hang this big "beehive" (SD49225T-HN) camera off the corner of my house. I live on a tight cookie cutter street the houses are really close.
Did anybody's neighbour's complain or comment on your cams?
I'll be the first to have a PTZ on this block..

Reaction score
Man I'm worried about what the neighbors are going to think when I hang this big "beehive" (SD49225T-HN) camera off the corner of my house. I live on a tight cookie cutter street the houses are really close.
It's really not that big, at least no where near as big as the SD59225 or some of the newer cameras. If you are really close to your neighbors homes, be sure not to point it at any of their windows. You may be called out on this. I set mine up using the privacy masking option to block out my nearest neighbors windows, and showed them I could not see "in". This was done even though they are at least 75 feet away (yeah, the zoom on these is really nice).

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My neighbors are glad that I have cameras watching out for the neighborhood. They have been in my house to review incidents that have happened to them. My cameras are not trained on their houses but they do pick them up on the periphery.

Last edited:

ndn6100

n3wb
Reaction score
My neighbors are glad that I have cameras watching out for the neighborhood. They have been in my house to review incidents that have happened to them. My cameras are not trained on their houses but they do pick up them up on the periphery.
Same as Parley. My neighbours have used my cameras before as well. I think they appreciate that there is a second set of eyes always watching the neighbourhood and back alleyway, as it is close to a bar and pawn shop, and generates a lot of sketchy foot traffic.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't point it out, most people will never notice.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
When I was in my last house, I had a pretty bad issue with my neighbor that ended up going to court. I put a camera in my back yard that pointed at his back yard. The pole had two industrial sirens on it and when he decided to party all day with the radio on high, I would turn on the sirens. Needless to say, him and his guests couldn't stand in the back yard because the sound was so loud. He called code enforcement on me about the camera being installed with out a permit. A few days later the enforcement officer told me and my neighbor that I had to take the camera down. If I was to pull a permit for a security camera installation, I could have all the cameras that wanted pointing right into his yard and the neighbor would have to live with it. I'll post some pics if I can find them.

Moral to the story, make good with your neighbors and ask them if they mind. This problem cost me a fortune in attorney's fees. The neighbor had an injuction placed on him stating that he would be fined or arrested if he broke the county noise statue. We ended up moving shortly after.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's also a good idea to know what's in your HOA covenants if applicable. Many don't say anything specific about cameras, but would still be covered under 'architectural control'. Some impose requirements like the cameras 'not being able to view your neighbor's property' which can get a bit ridiculous.