Would this computer on sale at Costco make a good Blue Iris box?

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Specs
  • Intel Core i5 10400F 2.9GHz Prcoessor (10th Gen)
  • 256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive SSD
  • 12GB DDR4 SDRAM (2666MHz)
  • 1TB Internal HDD (7200 RPM)
  • AMD Radeon RX 550 2GB Graphics
  • WiFi 5 (2x2) w/ Bluetooth 5.0
  • USB Wired Keyboard/Mouse
  • 310W Power Supply
    • Inputs
      • 4x USB Type-A (SuperSpeed)
      • 4x USB 2.0 Type-A
      • 1x USB Type-C
      • 1x HDMI
      • 1x DisplayPort
      • 1x DVI-D

Reaction score
Well looking at the link, it says nothing about the memory configuration, like # of sticks, if it's dual channel, etc. It also says nothing about the disk drive slot availability. Are there empty bays for more HDDs? Is there empty SATA connections on the motherboard? I guess you could pull the optical drive out and replace it with an HDD if you want more video storage in the future. It also says nothing about the number of PCI slots available. What if you want to run dual NICs?

Reaction score
I would take that $600 and invest into something like this:

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How many cameras do you plan to have? With sub-streams, there are lots of options out there that would work.

The HP Pavilion TP01-1127c does not look that great for $600.
  • it has one 4GB and one 8GB DIMM. You want two of the same type (same speed and size).
  • one NIC, which is okay. You can add a PCIe NIC or USB NIC if you want a second NIC. USB NIC is easier.
  • judging by the dimensions of the case, there is not much room for adding HDDs internally You may be okay with the existing drives if you are not storing that much.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's a guy locally selling an HP Deskpro 400G3, i5-6500 with 8GB dual channel memory and NVS210 video card in addition to the embedded graphics, just missing drives and it's $130. I picked up one a while ago, he had a ton of them. All you need to do is add some drives, swap out the DVD drive to get a DVD caddy for a 2.5" drive and it would make a decent BI machine.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
At least it's a I5-10th gen :) The HD bays inside case...are they 3.5" or 2.5"? It is highly recommended to use surveillance hard drives (such as Western Digital Purple series) which only come in 3.5", not 2.5".
I would want my M.2 SSD to be in the 1TB range, not 256mb. But that's just me.
SDRAM...I'll let others speak of it. I went for the fastest dual channel memory.
No need for the wifi/bluetooth.
No need for the AMD graphics card. I assume, the motherboard has it's own onboard video hopefully that can do Intel QuickSync?
That computer WILL work for Blue Iris and some camera's. But you'll be investing into a computer that is not built for a dedicated surveillance system.