Write directly to Win 7 box

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to install 70 LTS 3022s (Hikvision). Each camera is in a different physical location. For our third party compliance obligations, we cannot use a software nor hardware based NVR. I need the cameras to write directly to a Windows share.

The boxes are running Win 7 Pro. We cannot install a samba client on them. We also cannot hook up an extrnal drive, nor can we send the files outside the nextwork to another storage location. I can successly test an SMB/CIFS connection, but then cannot format the storage folder and initialze it.
Has anhyone successfuly gotten these to work writing directly to a windows share?

We have a more expesnive DLink camera we have tested that is not having these issues. If I cannot solve this problem, it will double my install cost.

We are able to successfully initialze and write to a Limux Samba share, but that is also not an option for us at this time.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: can format and initialize the shared folder, but it then returns to an uninitialized state. It seems to be able to read and write, but cannot maintain its connection to the share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
best of luck to you, all the CIFS/NFS solutions Ive encountered have not been anywhere reliable enough for commercial use at any scale..

You try FTP yet? IIS Has FTP Server built in and thats by far the most reliable and easy to scale method I have used.. you'll have to write a script to delete files XX old because cameras wont overwrite.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am told that due to PCI compliance, we cannot setup the FTP server service. The cameras are a temporary stopgap until we get our network a little more locked down. I would consider using cameras with SD cards if the SD card could store 90 days worth of clips and pictures.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are blowing smoke up your ass, having worked on developing PCI Compliant software before most people dont know wtf they are talking about.

If its a Windows Server, and it should be.. it already has a FTP Service setup.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That same sentiment is very prevalent in certain circles where I work...however, for this one, I'm not a chief, just an Indian...actually, I'm not in IT, I'm in Ops, so that make me more of a Cowboy.

At the end of the day, I have to figure how to make it work. I have one computer where I can write the files: a Win7 Pro box. We have a D-Link bullet that is doing it just fine at the test location, but it costs twice as much. If it wasn't for the DLink pulling it off, I wouldn't be fighting so hard to make the cheaper ones work. These are the LTS(Hikvision) 3022s

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you do realize a Win7 Pro box will only accept 20 concurrent CIFS connections dont you, its not going to handle 70 clients simultaneously writing.. infact, its going to take a pretty impressive hardware to accomplish that even if it would let you do 70 writes at once.

if you go with a Windows Server OS, you need 70 user license.. ouch.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To clarify, it's one camera per Win 7 box per physical location....70 offices across the country.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah well tha'll be fine then..

the problem here is Win7 Pro is a fucking god awful CIFS server, and Hikvision's CIFS Implementation seems to be developed arround Samba.. sooo, best of luck to yeh, its not a job I'd of taken.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I easily accomplished this with a Linux box...but it's not an option at work.

That being said, is there a $50 - $80 camera that can get the job done?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nope, and if there was.. it'd have even worse software on it, and probably malware built in to boot.. im sure tha'll be PCI compliant

Dahua dont do CIFS, they know better than to use anything inherently flawed and unreliable, at least thats what I tell my self.. they dont have anything half ass working in firmware like Hik and CIFS support is a great example.

The posts with problems using Hik's CIFS implementation go back for years, before I even got here.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua wont meet your requirements, it'll only do FTP or NFS