Wyze and BI

cmccarter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 4 Wyse v2 cams running rtsp into my BI 5 system in addition to several other cams both wired and Wi-Fi. My Wyse cam appear to repeatedly disconnect and reconnect immediately. Do not think this is a BI5 issue anyone else seeing this and any suggestions.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 4 Wyse v2 cams running rtsp into my BI 5 system in addition to several other cams both wired and Wi-Fi. My Wyse cam appear to repeatedly disconnect and reconnect immediately. Do not think this is a BI5 issue anyone else seeing this and any suggestions.
Lots of problems reported w/ Wyze cams trying to do anything other than their own app. Supposedly v2 with Beta firmware is possible but I've never seen anyone say its stable. I think you're facing 2 issues. One is wireless in general. 2.4ghz especially with any camera brand is likely to have random disconnects. The other is Wyze is not keen on them using their cameras with anything other than their own monitoring so I believe its unlikely you'll get a lot of support or development to do so.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought one to play with and I have it using the initial RTSP firmware. I have yet to see it reboot/disconnect, however it seems to skip frames. There are varying amount of disconnect/reconnect that others have, as mentioned on the Wyze forums. When I have it connected to BL and loose power or update BL, sometimes it will not connect. If I disable/enable in BL, sometimes it will come back, otherwise I need to remove power to the cam and reboot it. Recommend getting something better, i.e. Amcrest 4MP WiFi PTZ Camera (2-way audio, micro-sd, indoor) | IP Cam Talk.

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I experienced this with a Wyze V2 I got to check out, so bad that my solution is to put it on the shelf and forget about it. A case of you get what you paid for... not much.

cmccarter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I experienced this with a Wyze V2 I got to check out, so bad that my solution is to put it on the shelf and forget about it. A case of you get what you paid for... not much.
What's strange is that all Wyse cams are still online in the Wyse app which means that they are actually dunno g a dual protocol stack. We need to totally kill the Wyse side and only use the rtsp

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you disable hardware acceleration for your Wyze cam in BI? Thats what fixed it for me.

Reaction score
Did you disable hardware acceleration for your Wyze cam in BI? Thats what fixed it for me.
I've actually had pretty good luck with BI and the RSTP Wyze firmware. I have 5 Wyzecams sending without much issue, but I can't get Intel Quick Sync working for them. I have a Hikvision that works fine with QS, but the Wyzecams don't show any video when I enable it. I know you get what you pay for and all, but VLC reports a standard H264 stream - any thoughts on why QC hardware transcoding might not be working? I know that 5.2.3.0 had a bunch QC-related changes, but this has been a long-running issue that predates that update (and it didn't help, unfortunately).

Any points on where I could start looking? Thanks!

Reaction score
I've actually had pretty good luck with BI and the RSTP Wyze firmware. I have 5 Wyzecams sending without much issue, but I can't get Intel Quick Sync working for them. I have a Hikvision that works fine with QS, but the Wyzecams don't show any video when I enable it. I know you get what you pay for and all, but VLC reports a standard H264 stream - any thoughts on why QC hardware transcoding might not be working? I know that 5.2.3.0 had a bunch QC-related changes, but this has been a long-running issue that predates that update (and it didn't help, unfortunately).

Any points on where I could start looking? Thanks!
Solved my own problem. I read elsewhere that Wzye uses a non-standard audio codec. I disabled that on a hunch and the Wyzecams immediately started being decoded by QC.

Reaction score
Solved my own problem. I read elsewhere that Wzye uses a non-standard audio codec. I disabled that on a hunch and the Wyzecams immediately started being decoded by QC.
David, would you mind sharing what settings you used to get this working? I turned off the "Record Sound" option in the Wyze app and the stream now works fine. But whenever I go to enable hardware acceleration (Intel), it automatically defaults back to "No." I thought maybe it was a QuickSync issue, but now I see that you apparently got it working. I don't know what else I could have missed...

Reaction score
Here you go:

Screen-Shot-2020-04-12-at-11-19-15
Screen-Shot-2020-04-12-at-11-20-23
Screen-Shot-2020-04-12-at-11-20-45
Screen-Shot-2020-04-12-at-11-20-58

I updated it to DirectX VA2 with the recent BI updates, but it also worked fine with Intel.

Dave
Man, I don't understand. I've made everything you show in those screenshots match, even the stuff that I wouldn't think would matter, and it still won't work. As soon as I try enabling Intel in the Camera settings, it will go offline, come back online, and then the hardware decoding option has switched back to No.

What version of BlueIris are you using?

Edit: I'm not sure if this means anything, but the ONLY hardware accelerated decode option it will actually hold onto is "DirectX VA2". Every other option goes back to No once you hit okay. Of course, since I'm trying to use my Intel CPU, the DirectX VA2 does nothing.

Last edited:
Reaction score

My passing the integrated GPU into a VM through ESXI as well, so my config is a little weird. Everything does seem to be working, though.

Are you using a discrete GPU as well?

Reaction score

My passing the integrated GPU into a VM through ESXI as well, so my config is a little weird. Everything does seem to be working, though.

Are you using a discrete GPU as well?
No, just the CPU. It's just a small Celeron desktop, but the CPU should be capable of decent transcoding with QuickSync. I use another of the same desktop for Plex, and it can handle up to 20 transcodes using QuickSync. Unfortunately, without QuickSync the CPU starts bogging down after 2 cameras are added.

I'm running the same version of BlueIris as you. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep messing with it.