Yet another thread on Camera Time Server problems

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
How weird....over three years later after NetTime working great I noticed one of my cams time was way off. I went to investigate and note that NetTimeService is no longer listening to Port 123. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? Here's the before and after:

BEFORE:
1657759173540.png

AFTER: What happened to UPD Port 123 for NetTimeService?
1657759369021.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to have port 123 UDP listening. Looks like some other service/process has grabbed port 123 so NetTime can't use it. Not sure why or what that might be. Did you install something else recently that might be it?

You can try stopping that service that has 123 and then restarting the NetTime service. Then check the logs for it to see if you have camera connections.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to have port 123 UDP listening. Looks like some other service/process has grabbed port 123 so NetTime can't use it. Not sure why or what that might be. Did you install something else recently that might be it?

You can try stopping that service that has 123 and then restarting the NetTime service. Then check the logs for it to see if you have camera connections.
The only thing I installed recently was upgrading my old BI version that was over a year old to a much more recent and stable version of BI that includes DeepStack support.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what svchost.exe and why it's attached to port 123 or how to resolve this issue.

1657769619005.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
See this and/or search for similar. Explains better than I can:

Svchost.exe hosts other services so it's not as easy to look at and see exactly what's running. But you can trace it back by the PID. Once you find what it is, it may be easy to just kill it and stop it from loading or more complicated if it's something that's always going to try to run and grab that port. Also might try just a simple reboot first.

Also, as above, try to kill that service and restart NetTime again and let it grab the port. Some things will restart near instantly though. Hopefully not and won't do again after a restart.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect it is the W32Time (Windows Time) service. But how it got configured to listen (on port 123) while also not actually providing NTP service to your cameras, I don't know. Maybe it is serving NTP but being blocked by Windows Firewall because you don't have a rule to allow inbound UDP traffic on port 123.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
See this and/or search for similar. Explains better than I can:

Thank you, that was helpful....specifically "tasklist /svc | find "svchost.exe" > c:\tasklist.txt"

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I expect it is the W32Time (Windows Time) service. But how it got configured to listen (on port 123) while also not actually providing NTP service to your cameras, I don't know. Maybe it is serving NTP but being blocked by Windows Firewall because you don't have a rule to allow inbound UDP traffic on port 123.
You were right....W32Time was the mystery service running. Have no idea how it was running. The only thing I can think of is I was playing with it when setting up another Blue Iris server and was referring back to my original and messing with the settings.