Yi Cameras - 2 Way Audio

Reaction score
Recently picked up a couple of 1080p Yi Cameras and loaded up the RTSP hack for them. Everything is working great, including Audio, but I'm having trouble getting the 2-way audio to work. ie: So I can talk through the Camera speaker to someone in that room. It's not that big of a deal to me, but my wife likes using the option with our boys in their rooms sometimes. I'm trying to get out of our current Nest setup, so I kind of need this transition to be as smooth as possible.

Any ideas? Or anyone that's been able to successfully get this working with their Yi cameras?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Recently picked up a couple of 1080p Yi Cameras and loaded up the RTSP hack for them. Everything is working great, including Audio, but I'm having trouble getting the 2-way audio to work. ie: So I can talk through the Camera speaker to someone in that room. It's not that big of a deal to me, but my wife likes using the option with our boys in their rooms sometimes. I'm trying to get out of our current Nest setup, so I kind of need this transition to be as smooth as possible.

Any ideas? Or anyone that's been able to successfully get this working with their Yi cameras?
It would be helpful for you to state the model and link to the camera . . .

Reaction score
It would be helpful for you to state the model and link to the camera . . .
The model name I think actually is Yi 1080p, but it’s still probably a valid point. Here’s the link:

YI Security Home Camera 3 Baby Monitor, 1080p WiFi Smart Wireless Indoor Nanny IP Cam with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Motion Detection, Phone App, Pet Cat Dog Cam - Compatible with Alexa and Google

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still unclear what the problem is so let me ask you this:

• Can you speak / listen using the native smart application?
  • You're trying to accomplish the same talk / listen outside of the smart application via RTSP??

Reaction score
I'm still unclear what the problem is so let me ask you this:

• Can you speak / listen using the native smart application?
  • You're trying to accomplish the same talk / listen outside of the smart application via RTSP??
Yes, that's correct. The native Yi app allows me to speak thru and listen to the camera. I can still hear the camera through RTSP, but I cannot speak through the camera with the BlueIris app on iOS.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See that is the info needed - it is an issue with Blue Iris. Some cameras just don't work with the two way option, or you have to play around with different settings in Blue Iris.

Did you do the find/inspect option in Blue Iris and what did it come back as?

When you added the camera, did you check the box that it has audio?

And you are using the paid Blue Iris iOS app and not GUI3?

Reaction score
See that is the info needed - it is an issue with Blue Iris. Some cameras just don't work with the two way option, or you have to play around with different settings in Blue Iris.

Did you do the find/inspect option in Blue Iris and what did it come back as?

When you added the camera, did you check the box that it has audio?

And you are using the paid Blue Iris iOS app and not GUI3?
I did use find/inspect and it comes back as generic ONVIF.

I did check the audio box.

and yes, the paid app thru the App Store.

I tried changing to the Xiaomi Yi Camera profile, but then the camera would no longer stream.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found that Blue Iris usually does a really good job at finding the right pairing under the find/inspect, but in my experience, the two way cams is where it struggles. It is probably more a function of the camera itself and industry standard.

Write down the ports that it is showing under generic and then go to the Yi profile and make sure that those numbers don't change - that is probably why it wouldn't stream. Maybe something that simple fixes it.

I don't have that camera, but all 3 of my two-way cameras would not work with two-way audio, so I just started with different cameras under the pull-down and found one to work. Two of mine worked with one was one of the Dahua cams that was in the pull-down and the other one worked with Cantonk. I tried the brands that had multiple cameras within it. As always, YMMV.

Reaction score
Well, after trying all kinds of different settings for around an hour now....still no luck. Unless someone comes in here and has actually gotten it working with this specific model of camera, then I'm just going to assume that it's not supported for my camera.

Might should just open another topic, but could anyone recommend a "cheap" wireless cam that supports 2-way audio? I've got wired cams everywhere that "matters", but we would like to have a couple of wireless cams that we can move around if needed.