YI Home Camera thoughts? Remote access?

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I will soon be placing surveillance cameras around my property but my first order of business as a baby monitor. My wife and I are expecting our first child and rather than going with a store bought unit I found the YI dropcam clone and Blue Iris software. I will be adding the exterior cameras as time goes on and had a few questions.

The YI camera is here: http://amzn.com/B019MMRV1M

I've done research on this but would appreciate some help making sure it will all work together. I see the YI Home camera only works using they're app, but found a post here about getting Blue Iris to recognize the camera. Would I still get the benefits like motion detection alert/notification, 2 way talk etc (camera permitting) while using the Blue Iris software? It would be great to get this working on BI and when I get the rest of the property wired for cameras we can remote into all of them in one place.

Thanks for the help in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cant use WiFi Webcams with a NVR and expect good results.. once you add BI into the mix that video feed gets streamed across wifi continuously, non stop.. and wireless cannot provide a guaranteed continuos connection like that.

those webcams on wifi are for periodic checking, not for constant viewing.. once you have a remote device accessing the feed all the time you need it to be wired up... no other way around it.

id suggest something like this for a babycam: http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2432F-IW-Indoor-Camera-2-8mm/dp/B00JWCV9CU so at least you can run a wire when you realize you need it.. it has onboard storage so if you have it record to a SD card it wont be choking down your wifi and it might actually work pretty decently.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.