Your expertise greatly appreciated - Viewing recordings after replacing HDD's

007sneeker

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a DS-7716NI-I4 / 16P NVR that I recently replaced all the HDD's with bigger capacity HDD's. Went from (4) 6TB to (4) 10TB drives.

The DS-7716NI-I4 / 16P allows for 4 total HDD's.

Background: I have 2 ANPR Hikvision cameras that capture license plates, with additional cameras for general security perimeter coverage. I have the 4 HDD's that still have previously recorded footage that I am trying to mount somehow so that I can still search for specific license plates and footage in IVMS-4200 software under Data Retrieval.

My question is, how can I view/search the old HDD's for footage recorded when the HDD's are not in the Hikvision NVR?

Is there a way to mount them with a NAS and allow IVMS - 4200 software to also search the HDD's?

Any guidance or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

007sneeker

n3wb
Reaction score
I would think you could put them back in the NVR in the same place and search them that way?
Thanks @oldtimer, yes true. However my specific use case is that I have volatile extremely important video being recorded at most times of the day and cannot just take out the new 10TB's in order to search the old HD's. That is why I was asking if anyone knows of a solution to do this without having to use the NVR?

Thanks for the response!

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's that important, I would buy a second recorder and use it to get the video pulled.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not all models use same format, some hikvision models use just NTFS and u can read them with simply connecting to PC. And some might be linux system partition or something.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought most DVRs were Linux based so would use something like efs or ext3 or 4

If that is the case then you might be able to mount them using a Linux distro but that’s assuming that they aren’t encrypted in which case all bets except in the original device would be off.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought most DVRs were Linux based so would use something like efs or ext3 or 4

If that is the case then you might be able to mount them using a Linux distro but that’s assuming that they aren’t encrypted in which case all bets except in the original device would be off.
Most of new access control firmwares from hikvision are based on ext4 with custom headers