Z12 Seal Failure Repair (water fogging inside camera)

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After about six years exposure to elements, Z12 camera was internally fogging with moisture. This is the 2nd unit I have repaired in this manner. My prior repaired unit has been back in service x 2 years without further issues. This procedure only addresses the two gaskets. I have not needed to re-seal the cable entry at camera rear.

Tools and Materials

Food dehydrator to dry out camera interior and regenerate silica gell pack
0 food dehydrator.jpg
Silicone grease
2 silicon grease.jpg
PHY1 and Torx 10 screw bits (Will also need Torx 15 that came with camera)
1 phy1 and torx 10 bits.jpg
Foam tip applicators

Brass wire brush

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Preheat entire camera to 130 F in dehydrator. Having camera warmed makes peeling of trim easier.

Once warmed, peel off thin trim from front of camera to reveal four Torx 10 screws. Peel off neatly and avoid deforming the trim piece. You will need to stick it back on camera at end of repair.

Four Torx 10 screws will be revealed.
4 peel off front trim.jpg

IMPORTANT -
OPEN the SD card access hatch now. It must be open to enable rest of repair.
3 open hatch.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Remove all four T10 screws to free front cap / IR assembly.

Detach cable from front cap assembly.

Remove front rubber gasket. Note that the gaskets have taller ridged and smaller ridge sides. The taller ridged side goes into groove of camera housing.

Do not touch internal surface of cap glass.

5 front cover removed.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once camera module is pulled out, you can see the silica gel pack in rear of housing. Reach in and remove the gel pack.
9 silica gel pack.jpg

Also, note the thermal interface pad at bottom of housing. You will need to be mindful of that pad during later reassembly.
10 thermal pad.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Regenerate the silica pack at 156F for four hours. By the book, one would use higher temperature, but I have had good results at 156F if extra time is allowed. You can optionally supplement with fresh silica desiccant packs. There is space for original + two 5 gram packs.

Remove both rubber gaskets from camera (front and SD card slot). Thoroughly clean metal mating surfaces and inside the grooves. A wire brush helps if water deposits are on the metal surfaces.

Near end of gel pack regeneration time, decrease dehumidifier temperature to 140F and place entire, disassembled camera into dehydrator for 20 minutes to drive off any moisture inside camera components. Do not leave temp at 156F as I don't know if the optical components can tolerate 156F.

Remove the camera and silica packets from dehydrator.

Place silica packs in rear of camera housing and slide camera module back into housing. Be careful to avoid folding over the thermal pad as you slide the module into place. If any dust is on the camera lens, now is the time to blow the lens clean.

Secure module with the four PHY1 screws.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reassemble, taking care to avoid smearing any silicone grease onto optical components.
When tightening the T10 screws, torque up gradually and evenly like doing wheel lug nuts.

There may be better procedures, but this is how I have done it with long term success.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just curious if you need the dehydrator. We got a new stove and it has a dehydrate function but only goes down to 175F. But, I'd be affraid of putting the camera in at that temperature.
I'm wondering if you couldn't get away with heating the camera up with a hair dryer instead. A dehydrator would be much easier because you could put it in there for 30 minutes or so and come back versus waiving a hair dryer at the camera for that long.
A little while ago I recharged some silica packets in the toaster oven. It took longer than I thought. So, in a dehydrator you may want to keep them in there for at least a few hours.
Regenerate the silica pack at 156F for four hours. By the book, one would use higher temperature, but I have had good results at 156F if extra time is allowed. You can optionally supplement with fresh silica desiccant packs. There is space for original + two 5 gram packs.

Remove both rubber gaskets from camera (front and SD card slot). Thoroughly clean metal mating surfaces and inside the grooves. A wire brush helps if water deposits are on the metal surfaces.

Near end of gel pack regeneration time, decrease dehumidifier temperature to 140F and place entire, disassembled camera into dehydrator for 20 minutes to drive off any moisture inside camera components. Do not leave temp at 156F as I don't know if the optical components can tolerate 156F.

Remove the camera and silica packets from dehydrator.

Place silica packs in rear of camera housing and slide camera module back into housing. Be careful to avoid folding over the thermal pad as you slide the module into place. If any dust is on the camera lens, now is the time to blow the lens clean.

Secure module with the four PHY1 screws.
Thanks for posting this. This is really good information. Maybe someone could move it over to the Wiki?
Just to be clear there is room for a total of (4) 5 gram packs? If I go through this when my Z12's have this problem (and it appears they will), I'll just get some color changing packets to be sure I'm starting with good ones.
Also, there appears to be some space in the areas in green below. Would there be a problem putting larger silica packets in that area? I guess the manufacturer doesn't put them there for a reason.

1668106113403.png

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, four of the 5 gram packets would fit just fine.

I have a dehydrator for drying 3D print filament spools. So, it was convenient for this repair. Provides controlled heat with adequate AIRFLOW to dehydrate.

Reaction score
So one can pick up that food dehydrator for $150 on Amazon. That is a little more than half the cost of replacing the cam. All the other costs are trivial.

I suppose if I ever need to do this, I could learn to eat dehydrated food.

Thanks for this info. I like the directions and pictures you supplied. Good job.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On a side note....... Run your fresh "dry" snacks like tortilla chips, corn chips, mis-fortune cookies, bread sticks an hour or two at 156F in a dehydrator. You will be amazed at the flavor improvement.
What previously seems good out of a fresh bag will seem stale compared to after additional drying.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm guessing a cheaper alternative might be to dry the unit with a hairdryer and then place the unit in a small space eg cupboard under the stairs with a dehumidifier if you already have one. Might be worth a try for anyone who doesn't want to fork out for a drying unit but already has a dehumidifier.

Only methodolgy I'd change is I can't really see the point in drying the original silica pack out, when you can replace it.

Excellent write up and discovery though and many thanks for sharing it. Hopefully it will save many others cameras from the graveyard.