Z12s, Illuminators and IR lights

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two Z12e cameras and I just discovered something unusual.

I run the Z12s in B&W mode during the nighttime schedule. As an experiment, I switched the Nighttime Day and Night mode to color on both cameras. In each case, color mode shut down the 4 visible IR lights. Is this the expected behavior or possibly a bug?

I’m really ok with B&W but I'm currently using one Z12 is used more as a spotter camera and I’d like to run it in color if I could. I have an external illuminator for the spotter Z12 and the B&W stream really pops but the illuminator has no impact when color is enabled. I agree that these cameras are engineered as pure LPR devices but just curious if others have noticed this.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That isn't unusual, that is the way it is designed.

The infrared lights are only on for B/W. During color mode, the IR filter would prevent them from being seen so no reason to have them on.

So, yes running in color with IR illuminators will have zero impact on the picture quality - it cannot be seen. Further the IR wavelength doesn't see color, otherwise, we would all be running color with IR blasters LOL.

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That isn't unusual, that is the way it is designed.

The infrared lights are only on for B/W. During color mode, the IR filter would prevent them from being seen so no reason to have them on.

So, yes running in color with IR illuminators will have zero impact on the picture quality - it cannot be seen. Further the IR wavelength doesn't see color, otherwise, we would all be running color with IR blasters LOL.
Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.