Zone-based detection not working

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
folks

I've been troubleshooting this with Ken who I assume is the author of BI and so far he's not been able to get this to work. In the past, these forums have been able to solve a few issues he's not been able to (go figure!). In parallel, I am using IVS on my other camera facing the front but wanted to give BI motion detection a try. This configuration is A-B and object size & contrast set to minimal. The super odd thing is that BI detects motion fine and it shows the rectangle & highlight but doesn't set off an alert when somebody walks from the sidewalk towards the home or vice versa. It does set off alerts at random at times (maybe 1-2 times a day in this pretty heavy traffic pedestrian area) and those alerts are folks walking on the sidewalk itself which actually should not set off any alert. Ken said BI's zone based detection is iffy and it takes a bit of trial an error but this is so basic and with extreme settings like minimal object size & contrast. Hopefully somebody can give me some troubleshooting ideas

Thanks

Attachments

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One more general question - do you folks advise keeping Zone A for the entire area the camera is able to see and use B, C, D for zone crossings and alerts instead? And if so, what's the reasoning behind that. Thanks

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am currently experiencing a very similar issue and I think I finally got it nailed down. I want vehicles to be captured going OUT of my driveway only, not in. So I have 3 zones, A,B&C. I want traffic to trigger going from zone B to zone C only. I do not want any other alerts, captures or triggers.

I set zone A to the entire image. I set zone B to the left half of the image and zone C to the right half of the image. In object detection settings, I have "Object crosses zones" checked and set to B>C. I have the "Object size exceeds" checked with the default value and I have the "object travels" unchecked. On the motion sensor page I have the make time set to .5. Obviously I have the boxes checked for "object detection" and "use zones and hotspots". You may need to do fine tuning but this should get you started.

I also noticed the zone settings were acting a little funky (not showing all the other zone locations with transparency) so I did a BI update to the latest version and it seemed to be fixed the .

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
are you using edge or simple vector?

In alerts, does it show up as Motion BC, CB or ABC? I think given you have A still active, it should show something like ABC

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am using simple for now. It shows as ABC.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok i moved to simple and it's working for me now. What made you change from Edge to simple or was that the default for you?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It was default, I never played with any of the other types so I left it alone.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was on 4 a while ago but I wasn't using zones then. I just started using zones since I got some cameras for LPR use.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i suspect simple was the default for 4 and then he made the default to Edge for all brand new v5 installs

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does object size refer to actual object size or simply movement of pixels? my camera is catching cats now which I want to avoid. Any ideas?