Zoom and Focus Tab No Longer Working Properly

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have several Dahua model IPC-T5442T-ZE cameras. I set them all up using Internet Explorer with the downloaded web plugin a while ago. Now, when I login to any camera, and go to Settings>Conditions>Zoom and Focus tab, the preview image is black. The zoom and focus controls seem to work, but you can't see an image. When I click on the Live tab, I see an image fine. My cameras have different firmwares, but they all seem to be affected. The same thing happens if I login to the cameras using Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome. The other thing I noticed is that when I go to the Zoom and Focus tab after first logging in, it shows that my zoom slider is set to "0" or no zoom. When I look at the live image, the image is obviously zoomed despite what the slider indicates.

Does anyone know what's going on or how to fix this? Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try changing the H265 to H264 or vice versa. I have one computer that I allow windows updates and a driver caused my image to go black under one of those codecs. Those are newer cameras so shouldn't be impacted by the whole flash issue thing, but maybe?

I know many have reported the zoom and focus tab not showing properly, but works and shows correctly using the zoom/focus controls from the Live screen view.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s a know firmware issue isn’t it? I have to open BlueIris and make focus/zoom adjustments from there. I think @EMPIRETECANDY said there was a firmware fix coming for it?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either use Chrome with IE Tab extension installed or Pale Moon 32bit browser.
You may need to uninstall the current web plugins, then install them again.
They can be found at the bottom of the programs list in Start Menu in Windows 10.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm assuming it must be hosed because of recent Windows 10 updates. The zoom and focus tab worked fine using IE one month ago. Again, I currently have three different firmware dates on the cameras. They're all affected. My to do list includes updating the firmware of all cameras. Should I just install the latest firmware? Does Empiretech Andy post those somewhere?

Either use Chrome with IE Tab extension installed or Pale Moon 32bit browser.
You may need to uninstall the current web plugins, then install them again.
They can be found at the bottom of the programs list in Start Menu in Windows 10.
I'll give those suggestions a try. Pale Moon? Sounds like a beer.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I uninstalled the only "WebPlugin" listed near the bottom of the start menu. Then I launched IE again and reinstalled the plugin when prompted. That fixed the problem! The only curve ball is that when I launched IE, it automatically launches Microsoft Edge on top of IE to tell you how crappy IE is. You have to be sure you close Edge and actually use IE. If this happens again, perhaps I'll try the IE Tab extension with Chrome. I don't drink alcohol, so I better stay away from Pale Moon. :)

Any help with the recommended firmware and where to find? Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the cameras are installed and operating and working as you need them to, a general rule of thumb here is "don't fix what ain't broke".

Many times a firmware update will add something that you were not using or didn't need and it unfortunately then breaks something you were using. I recall someone on here with a Z12 had nothing but issues when they updated the software - multi reboots, etc. And of course a certain PTZ that lost autotracking if someone updated the firmware...

But if you still want to update the firmware, it can be found here: IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS latest new firmware General_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.15OG004.0.R.201203

htfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking this thread but I had a question about this very Zoom and Focus tab mentioned in the original post:

Is this zoom the same as using the buttons on the camera itself? Or is it like a digital zoom (this menu) vs optical (buttons on camera)?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For a varifocal, these zoom and focus on the menu are optical and do the same thing as the buttons.

I believe the buttons are more for professional installers that have one of those special units that they can see the camera at time of install and these buttons let them fine tune with that piece of equipment as opposed to having to take a tablet or laptop up LOL. I have never used the buttons on the camera, always from the interface.