Alternative to blue iris

Peg1987

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new in the forum but I need help.
I'm using blue iris since 3 years but now is time to change.
I've 9 cameras 7 are 4k, 1 is 5MP and the older is 3Mp, the frame rate is 15fps for 7 cameras, and 25fps for 2. I have a mix of brands (annke, reolink, haktivision)
I'm interested in human recognition for all the camera. 5 camera can recognize humans by themselves but this functionality can't be imported in BI.
I've 2 questions:
How is it possible that the cams can recognize human body easily, while a dvr requires a lot of resources? I'm using Google coral to, but the recognize time is less than 200ms at the boot but over 3 sec after some hours.
There is an alternative to blue iris?
My sistema is running on a VM, the cpu is a ryzen 4650g, and 32G of ram.
The surveillance station of Synology seams more modern and more powerful that blueiris but the price of the system is very huge for my camera and my wallet! I don't know even it has enough power.

Please help me!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you mean your cameras can trigger for humans but can't be imported into BI? Many of us use the camera AI for humans to trigger BI.

You won't find anything at the price point of BI.

Schrodinger's Cat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't heard of a decent competitor that's even in the ballpark as BI.

There's many ways to run excellent human detection in Blue Iris. You can get a low priced (under $100 USD) video card and install NVIDIA CUDA and have it handle the AI detection to take load off your CPU. Happy to tell you more about my system and give links on this web site if you're interested in learning more.

Peg1987

n3wb
Reaction score
For me, the most important thing is reduce the power consumption. A dedicated GPU, is too energy expansive (and I've no space on my proxmoxvsystem) . I'm more interested in "how use the people detection of the camera" discharging the cpu if the pc! I've saw many video for the setup, an this point was never emerged.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not have a dedicated GPU.

You set up the AI in the camera GUI.

In BI under camera setup page where username and password is, at the bottom is a box to check called "get ONVIF triggers"

Then under motion unchecked the BI motion and check the external/camera motion box.

Now the camera AI will trigger BI.

Peg1987

n3wb
Reaction score
I have problems with my cheap cameras... Even the "from the datasheet" supports person detection, this seams don't working. I have a lot of event error... And the camera doesn't have onvif option... Reading on the web, is seams an anonymous access not permitted (and I don't understand why it's trying an anonymous access when the camere is connected using right credentials. My camera are annke c800 and reolink 810a and 822.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new in the forum but I need help.
I'm using blue iris since 3 years but now is time to change.
I've 9 cameras 7 are 4k, 1 is 5MP and the older is 3Mp, the frame rate is 15fps for 7 cameras, and 25fps for 2. I have a mix of brands (annke, reolink, haktivision)
I'm interested in human recognition for all the camera. 5 camera can recognize humans by themselves but this functionality can't be imported in BI.
I've 2 questions:
How is it possible that the cams can recognize human body easily, while a dvr requires a lot of resources? I'm using Google coral to, but the recognize time is less than 200ms at the boot but over 3 sec after some hours.
As noted, you can have AI built into your cameras, NVR, or use third party AI software to add this functionality to BI and other systems. If you want to use the AI built into the camera, you need to use ONVIF triggers. The camera will send out an ONVIF trigger when it's AI senses the correct object and BI (or other solutions) will act on that ONVIF trigger.

Obviously if your cameras don't have AI, or you aren't happy with the AI performance, then you can either use a NVR with AI built in, or you can add it to BI using third party software. If you go with the third party software, using a graphics card may speed up the processing times, but it is not required for the AI to work and honestly it probably doesn't actually speed up things all that much on the current software and models.

There is an alternative to blue iris?
My sistema is running on a VM, the cpu is a ryzen 4650g, and 32G of ram.
The surveillance station of Synology seams more modern and more powerful that blueiris but the price of the system is very huge for my camera and my wallet! I don't know even it has enough power.
Besides the other suggestions already made, there is another option called Shinobi (Shinobi). I tried it years ago before deciding BI was the best solution for me. At that time it wasn't very stable, but it's been YEARS since I looked at it. I'm sure it has gotten better over time.

Frigate supports only h264, for this reason I'm not considering it.
h264 is fine for CCTV use. In fact, many cameras seem to work better and are more reliable with that codex vs other options.

Last edited:

Peg1987

n3wb
Reaction score
This is true but require a lot of space on hdd, and many doesn't support h264 anymore.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us have found H265 doesn't save that much storage, especially when video quality is more important.

Mine was only saving a few extra minutes every day with H265.

Peg1987

n3wb
Reaction score
OK but a question:
what should change from using BI with Google coral and frigate with Google Coral? Just in term of performance.
On frigate page you see that google coral can manage 100+FPS, but my sistem is about 160fps.

Last edited: