Using router FTP function as storage for cam IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2 for LPR purpose?

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Right now, I'm using 128GB micro sd to store data only. It uses about 30GB/24h. So I have only 4 days max of storage.

I have netgear router (wndr3400v3 using tomato firmware). This router has usb port to connect a harddrive. I can access the hardrive using my computer. It shows as TomatoUSB

Screenshot 2024-05-21 034019.png

The router has FTP function. (I don't know how to make it work yet)

Screenshot 2024-05-21 034435.png

1. Can I use the FTP function of the camera to save records and pictures from the camera to the harddrive that plugin the router? (I have read something say only passive ftp works, I don't know which type ftp my router is)
If not, would the nas with SMB option work?
2. If I can't do any of that using the router, can I buy a WD cloud ex2 and use the nas option?
3. If not, which nvr is good for the camera I have (LPR purpose only)?
(I don't want my computer runs all day)

TIA

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Right now, I'm using 128GB micro sd to store data only. It uses about 30GB/24h. So I have only 4 days max of storage.

I have netgear router (wndr3400v3 using tomato firmware). This router has usb port to connect a harddrive. I can access the hardrive using my computer. It shows as TomatoUSB
If that router's USB-connected drive shows up on your PC and the camera is on the same network and subnet as that PC, doesn't the camera let you select that drive instead of the SD card under storage options?

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ftp shld be doable

Hello,

View attachment 194956

The router has FTP function. (I don't know how to make it work yet)

View attachment 194957

1. Can I use the FTP function of the camera to save records and pictures from the camera to the harddrive that plugin the router? (I have read something say only passive ftp works, I don't know which type ftp my router is)
If not, would the nas with SMB option work?
2. If I can't do any of that using the router, can I buy a WD cloud ex2 and use the nas option?
3. If not, which nvr is good for the camera I have (LPR purpose only)?
(I don't want my computer runs all day)

TIA

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
If that router's USB-connected drive shows up on your PC and the camera is on the same network and subnet as that PC, doesn't the camera let you select that drive instead of the SD card under storage options?
The options is Local or Network. I tried ftp but it didn't work.
Screenshot 2024-05-21 220520.png

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you know how to setup ftp on router that runs tomato firmware?
do u hv this screen?
1716353620001.png

to test if ftp server is working
google and download "ftp client" such as wincvs
or download "nmap" to see if port 21 is open
good luck

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
do u hv this screen?
View attachment 195016

to test if ftp server is working
google and download "ftp client" such as wincvs
or download "nmap" to see if port 21 is open
good luck
I used to have those setting. I tried to setup ftp for a few days but didn't success. So I install tomato firmware on the netgear router. I've been reading online trying to adjust ftp setting on tomato firmware but it's been nowhere.
Screenshot 2024-05-21 034435.png

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
this screen doesnt show if ftp is enabled or not
I found some code for vsftpd from this SOLVED - Tomato Secure FTP - vsftpd . I don't know if it does anything.

xferlog_enable=YES
vsftpd_log_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
syslog_enable=NO

ssl_enable=YES
ssl_ciphers=HIGH
#require_ssl_reuse=YES
allow_anon_ssl=NO
force_local_data_ssl=NO
force_local_logins_ssl=YES

ssl_tlsv1=YES
ssl_sslv2=NO
ssl_sslv3=YES

# Using the SSL cert created when using HTTPS on the Tomato router (/tmp/etc/cert.pem)
rsa_cert_file=/tmp/etc/vsftp.pem
rsa_private_key_file=/tmp/etc/vsftp.pem

pasv_enable=YES
port_enable=YES
pasv_min_port=11501
pasv_max_port=11599

Screenshot 2024-05-22 001838.png

Screenshot 2024-05-22 001942.png

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
I try winscp.
When using ftp connection, I got error "...target machine actively refused it"

Screenshot 2024-05-22 004107.pngScreenshot 2024-05-22 004047.png

When using sftp, it said access denied. I used the user name and password I created. The thing that I'm unsure is the code I use on vsftpd and the directories I created in the ftp setting.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 004431.pngScreenshot 2024-05-22 004446.png

Reaction score
I do not know how to resolve your problem with Tomato but am posting this just in case when you do get FTP working it does not do what you want. i.e. you will lose all of the playback functions within the web gui as the files will no longer be stored on the SD card due to having been stored at the router outside of the Dahua eco system.

I have what you are trying to do working perfectly ok with a Netgear router flashed with DD-WRT instead of Tomato and I just play the Dahua .dav files back via VLC media player.

(DD-WRT won't work on a V3 WNDR3400)

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i wld try with ftp first, not sftp, for easier testing

I found some code for vsftpd from this SOLVED - Tomato Secure FTP - vsftpd . I don't know if it does anything.

xferlog_enable=YES
vsftpd_log_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
syslog_enable=NO

ssl_enable=YES
ssl_ciphers=HIGH
#require_ssl_reuse=YES
allow_anon_ssl=NO
force_local_data_ssl=NO
force_local_logins_ssl=YES

ssl_tlsv1=YES
ssl_sslv2=NO
ssl_sslv3=YES

# Using the SSL cert created when using HTTPS on the Tomato router (/tmp/etc/cert.pem)
rsa_cert_file=/tmp/etc/vsftp.pem
rsa_private_key_file=/tmp/etc/vsftp.pem

pasv_enable=YES
port_enable=YES
pasv_min_port=11501
pasv_max_port=11599

View attachment 195018

View attachment 195019

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not know how to resolve your problem with Tomato but am posting this just in case when you do get FTP working it does not do what you want. i.e. you will lose all of the playback functions within the web gui as the files will no longer be stored on the SD card due to having been stored at the router outside of the Dahua eco system.

I have what you are trying to do working perfectly ok with a Netgear router flashed with DD-WRT instead of Tomato and I just play the Dahua .dav files back via VLC media player.

(DD-WRT won't work on a V3 WNDR3400)
Thanks for the info. I only need to save the records for a few months incase I need to check them.

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
Not if you’re inside the lan
My router lan ip is 192.168.0.250. I created a user with password for ftp server. I'm not sure if the directories I created are correct. I enabled ftp, port 21 as in post #10. When I use winscp, the connection fail. Is there any setting that I need to do?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In first pic you don’t have ftp enabled and in post 10 pic shouldn’t there be a shared folder in that/under that directory?

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
In first pic you don’t have ftp enabled and in post 10 pic shouldn’t there be a shared folder in that/under that directory?
I meant the setting is post 9. Is this the share folder?
20240522_142307.jpg

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do I need to forward any port for ftp of the router to function? I can reinstall the official firmware of netgear if needed
NO need to forward port if both camera and router on the same physical network. Use internal IP address.
Reinstall original firmware advisable.

thlong

n3wb
Reaction score
NO need to forward port if both camera and router on the same physical network. Use internal IP address.
Reinstall original firmware advisable.
I had reinstall the netgear firmware. I can access ftp on the router using winscp on my computer.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 222505.png

The link is ftp:/readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares/ which can't be used on the camera setting so I use 192.168.0.250 (router lan ip)

Screenshot 2024-05-22 221828.png

Still get the message "Failed to connect to server" when click test. What should I do next? (the whole system is not connected to internet)