Advice/Review needed on camera types/models & placement layout plan

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Newbie here. I'm looking into purchasing some Dahua cameras as deterrence as well as surveillance for my property. I will be using them with Blue Iris. Below are the camera types that I have narrowed down. I would like some feedback on my choices and layout. Thanks in advance.

AbbreviationModel
LPRIPC-HFW5241E-Z12E-S3
PTZ - auto trackSD59225U-HNI
OVW (exterior) - active deterrenceIPC-HFW3449T1-AS-PV-S4
VF - focus on back gate and front doorIPC-HFW5442E-Z4E-S3
OVW (interior) - active deterrenceIPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S4

Camera Layout.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome,

Your Z12E and the 5442 cameras are solid choices.

You may want to rethink your active deterrence cameras.

Yeah the 3849 is a horrible camera that should have never been sold.

This is active deterrence camera on an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well. That sensor is designed for 2MP so a 2MP camera will kick its butt all night long.

Even worse, since this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Further, most here find that cameras and motion activated lights ends up causing problems with image exposure and are bad for surveillance cameras.. What happens is then the camera is momentarily blinded and you lose the ideal capture when the lights kick on and the camera adjusts from basically no light to a lot of light.

In addition, these motion activated deterrent lights are not a deterrent. There are enough videos here showing that perps do not flinch when a floodlight turns on. They avoid homes all lit up, so go with floodlights on all night.

Watch this video someone posted and how the floodlight comes on and they don't even flinch. But then the audio comes on and they don't know which way to run LOL.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 3849 camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues
I put this guy up and for some reason, and I can put my finger on it, this picture just looks strange. The grass kind of looks like digital or something. The camera is on the default settings but I feel like I have tweaked most of them. Any suggestions? IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV is the camera.

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day
I have a IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV (8MP, Full-color night, 1/2.8” CMOS (3840 × 2160) @20 fps). I also have several IPC-HDW5831R-ZE, IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 , and IPC-HDW4431C-A. The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV disconnects and reboots during the day, I have no issues during the night. It's my only cam that has this...

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P
Hello everybody! I replaced my favourite camera HDW5442TMP-ASE with new HFW3849T1P and I came accorss that HDW5442TMP-ASE has much better picture than newer one. I replaced it because HFW3849T1P 8MP instead of HDW5442TMP-ASE 5Mp and HFW3849T1P is TIOC (three in one camera). I didn't expect so...

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI
Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI now for sale in UK. I wish they had the Image Sensor: 1/1.8" and a F1:0 lens as I would be all over this. SPECIFICATION Model Number: IPC-HFW3849T1P-AS-PV-280 CAMERA Image Sensor: 1/2.8" Progressive CMOS Effective Pixels : 3840 x 2160...

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality
Hi All, I have recently installed Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV, 2.8mm (8MP, full color, active deterrence) cameras. The overall video quality is good but I cannot read number plate for cars passing down the road (approx 11 meters away) or identify people properly. Is it the expected behavior? What...

Reaction score
Hey wittaj,

thanks for the recommendation. I'll consider the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV.

Would you suggest a separate overview camera or would the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV be sufficient?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it can make a fine overview as well. The field of view isn't as wide as some of the newer cams like the 180 cameras, but not everyone needs 180 degree either.

leapard

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome,

Your Z12E and the 5442 cameras are solid choices.

Yeah the 3849 is a horrible camera that should have never been sold.
Im glad that i found this forum and found out before buying these 3849 tiocs from what i have seen the image at night didnt really seem much more superior to my current IPC-HDW3841T-ZS-S2 now i know its about the same sensor size i understand why. the 5442 looks to be a much more solid choice for me. Would you always recommend the 4mp model over a 8mp wizmind however?
the much bigger sensor 1.8 opposed to 2.8 is a very big difference. but is it able to perform on 8mp or is 4mp still better?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im glad that i found this forum and found out before buying these 3849 tiocs from what i have seen the image at night didnt really seem superior to my current IPC-HDW3841T-ZS-S2 now i know its about the same sensor size i understand why. the 5442 looks to be a much more solid choice for me. Would you always recommend the 4mp model over a 8mp wizmind however?
the much bigger sensor 1.8 opposed to 2.8 is a very big difference. but is it able to perform on 8mp or is 4mp still better?
See my response in your other thread, but yes you always chose the lower MP between two cameras on the same size sensor or night performance will suffer.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
how does the IPC-HDW5541H-AS-PV compare to the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV?
don't compare..
5541 is a worst model in WizMind 5xxx line...
Very small sensor..

if You invest into 5xxx line and want best night performance, You should always use 5442 model (with any optics/chassis)..
5241-Z12E is for LPR use (FOV H: 59°–5°)..
but if You will fit into 5442-Z4E optical zoom range (FOV H: 43°–15°), this is better model...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recognize your desire for active deterrence, but as I mentioned it really is gimmicky.

And the two-way talk is more like walkie-talkie and several second lag.

I have several of these types of cameras and they are ok overview, but not real good for IDENTIFY.

Reaction score
would the 5442E-Z4E be suitable as a overview?

aside to that, wanted to ask if its recommended to have a 2nd NIC on the blue iris PC to isolate the cameras from the main network, or to achieve this isolation via having seperate vlans?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't waste the focal length of the Z4E as an overview. The value and strength of that camera is the optical zoom capabilities.

You really want a 2.8 or 3.6mm for an overview.

Yes, best practice would be to dual NIC your BI computer so that the cameras are isolated from the internet.

Reaction score
Hi,

Someone suggested the below cameras to me, and I wanted to ask some feedback if they're viable:
1. the DHI-ITC413-PW4D for LPR
2. DH-SDT4E425-4F-GB-A-PV1
3. DH-SDT6C432-4P-GB-APV-0280
4. DH-SDT8C842-8P-FA-APV-0280

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

Someone suggested the below cameras to me, and I wanted to ask some feedback if they're viable:
1. the DHI-ITC413-PW4D for LPR
2. DH-SDT4E425-4F-GB-A-PV1
3. DH-SDT6C432-4P-GB-APV-0280
4. DH-SDT8C842-8P-FA-APV-0280
Other than the last one, there are better options for the first one and the others are on the wrong sensor.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Reaction score
Other than the last one, there are better options for the first one and the others are on the wrong sensor.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
Mind sharing examples of the better options for DHI-ITC413-PW4D?

What's the pros and cons of installing a single DH-SDT8C842-8P-FA-APV-0280 (functions as both overview and PTZ), against installing 2 separate overview (IPC-HDW5241H-AS-PV) and PTZ cameras (DH-SD59230U-HNI)?

Aside to that, would the Reolink POE Doorbell Cam be the best choice for a outdoor gate post camera?