Alternative to DMSS?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I use SmartPSS every day at home on a PC to monitor live views of a half dozen NVR's and to download recordings. For those things it works great and is hard to beat*

I pretty much just use DMSS when remote and need to peek in on a camera. Its limited like ALL phone apps and shouldn't be, and isn't intended to be used as a primary monitoring/management system. Unfortunately many folks under 30-40 have no idea that anything else exists beyond their smart phone.

*Many dont pay attention: when installing SmartPSS there are 2 components you can choose to install:
1- SmartPSS the Viewer/Downloader
2- A VMS called 'PC-NVR". It most;y sucks compared to other VMS. Dont install that component.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. As I'm on the go often using a phone is the most convenient. I've been working with computers since the 80s so I'm quite comfortable with PCs but I'm not always in front of them (unfortunately - I wish I could be!!!).
I've used a lot of different camera apps (Ring, Wyze, Blink, etc.) and I'm not going to start a battle about where DMSS ranks. But the reason I posted is that I'm not satisfied with it. I appreciate that many of you work with it and find it satisfactory.
I haven't yet had a chance to use BI. I'll be giving it a try when I get to my FL house this weekend. Perhaps it won't be what I'm looking for but it's worth a try.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Soundchasrv
I think an android/ios app that is much better and intuitive than DMSS is Amcrest View Pro(AVP). It will work with an Amcrest or Dahua NVR. But Amcrest and Dahua have different P2P servers, so AVP with Dahua NVR would need to use a VPN as mentioned for BI.
AVP will work with a local Dahua NVR, so you could also try it out at your cabin.

I use AVP on an android tablet or phone every day with a remote P2P Amcrest NVR with connected Dahua cameras, to Live View, Playback, and receive Dahua Push notifications.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. As I'm on the go often using a phone is the most convenient. I've been working with computers since the 80s so I'm quite comfortable with PCs but I'm not always in front of them (unfortunately - I wish I could be!!!).
I've used a lot of different camera apps (Ring, Wyze, Blink, etc.) and I'm not going to start a battle about where DMSS ranks. But the reason I posted is that I'm not satisfied with it. I appreciate that many of you work with it and find it satisfactory.
I haven't yet had a chance to use BI. I'll be giving it a try when I get to my FL house this weekend. Perhaps it won't be what I'm looking for but it's worth a try.
LOL. I think many will agree that some of the consumer grade cameras have better apps. Those companies made the decision to make up for lack of quality cameras with a shiny app that the general public likes.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been doing some thinking (it happens....). Part of my problem with using the DMSS app is I'm getting so many false positives (mostly bugs) that it's cumbersome to go through them all on this app. I think I need to first fix that issue. Perhaps if I only have a few videos to peruse I'll find it easier to use.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using Motion Detection (MD) or IVS rules with AI?
Night and day difference

What is the model # of your NVR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just using MD. Looks like I got some work to do.
Yep, you really need to use the AI. It will make all the difference:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Example

Three cameras on the same pole watching the entrance to the neighborhood.
Two using IVS/AI and one is an LPR camera using MD because IVS/AI doesnt work well at night with super dark LPR specific settings, (I have to use MD on it. I leave MD on 24/7 but really should just have it on at night when i need it.)

IVSvsMD4.jpg

AI camera
1- Just picks up humans, even though thousands of cars cross it daily. Notice only 5 events in that hour
IVSvsMD1.jpg

AI camera
2- Street view. IVS set to humans inbound and vehicles outbound - ONLY - 10 events in that hour
IVSvsMD2.jpg

MD camera
3- LPR camera with MD on. - 28 events PLUS the IVS events in that same hour
IVSvsMD3.jpg

Last edited:

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, dumb question time - where is IVS? I thought it would be in either of these two spots based on what I've read.

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

EDIT: If I use the web portal I see IVS. Weird.

cam3.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Better.
Make sure MD is OFF for that camera, Check "Cross" as well, and you probably dont need vehicle checked for that scene

You need to login to the camera interface itself
1) because you need to see if it HAS IVS capability
2) because you should ALWAYS use the camera interface to make settings. Not SmartPSS or the NVR.

SmartPSS - great live viewer and tool to review/download recordings
NVR - use to manage recording schedules and Network issues
Camera interface direct - ALL settings affecting the image quality, event detection, etc

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS takes a bit to learn. I like tripwire better but some like Intrusion better. I like to use both in many cases

In this case I just want Humans crossing or entering the property. No vehicle AI checked but doubled up using a Tripwire AND an Intrusion box.

Im a strong believer in overkill

IVSvsMD5.jpg

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to login to the camera interface itself
1) because you need to see if it HAS IVS capability
2) because you should ALWAYS use the camera interface to make settings. Not SmartPSS or the NVR.
Is that possible through the NVR or do I need to plug in the IP address?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NEVER make a setting for a camera in the NVR. You need to do it in the camera. Try this and see if you get access to more stuff.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1672767985895.png