Ants

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a Unifi Flex powering three cameras on a pole. Recently it stopped delivering PoE, so I went to investigate what. I'm not sure if the ants are related to the PoE issue, but I can't imagine they helped. The rubber teeth at the bottom don't seem to seal 100%. Any ideas for how to keep them out?

1713537778060.jpeg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use Gardner-Bender Duct Seal as here:

POE_extender8_sm.jpg

And behind Reolink doorbell for dirt-daubers here:

Reolink2_sm.jpg

Last edited:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In another life I was an exterminator. I don’t agree with this but anyone can buy stuff I used to have to have a license to get from this site. For ants/termites or any social insects this stuff will wipe out the entire colony even if only a few of them come in to contact with it. One bottle will last you 5 years.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
anyone can buy stuff I used to have to have a license to get from this site.
Thanks - I live in one the states which still requires a license. But since I know about the stuff, I can ask our exterminator to apply some. I didn't realize that it could last so long.
Not for Sale to: MA, MN, NY, SC
CT, IN, VT - (Restricted to Licensed Applicators Only)

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks - I live in one the states which still requires a license. But since I know about the stuff, I can ask our exterminator to apply some. I didn't realize that it could last so long.
Not for Sale to: MA, MN, NY, SC
CT, IN, VT - (Restricted to Licensed Applicators Only)
There are generics that might get you around termidors label, just search for fipronil, the active ingredient.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
TERRO Indoor Liquid Ant Killer Baits (6-Count) T300 - The Home Depot

This is 5% borax and rest is listed as other. Probably sugar to attract the ants. The ants go in and the borax kills them. Nice and neat 1"x3" plastic would fit nicely in your enclosure and is easy to clean up. It might take several applications as the ants tend to die right there. I got ants somewhere in my pickup and can't find where they come from but this is easy to apply and clean up.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Unifi Flex powering three cameras on a pole. Recently it stopped delivering PoE, so I went to investigate what. I'm not sure if the ants are related to the PoE issue, but I can't imagine they helped. The rubber teeth at the bottom don't seem to seal 100%. Any ideas for how to keep them out?

View attachment 192716
Just wow . . . ☹

This past summer the entire neighborhood was just infested with ants. Having used anything from simple garden hose to drown them - to using a huge blow torch where I could for the rock paths.

Also used a few of the tips seen on YouTube like borax etc.

I finally had to break down and purchase a few cans of that (ant) spray foam. Stuck the little straw into the grass and bam!

Gone that same day . . .

Attachments

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
After reading several posts above about using insecticides to address the OP's ant problem, let there be no misinterpretation of my recommending non-poisonous duct seal that I'm a raging environmentalist / tree hugger. :lmao::cool:
Truth be told I try very hard to use natural remedies or products / ideas when and where I can.

We have super short summers here and having tried most of the common recommendations and weeks going by with no positive movement.

Had to break down and use some chemicals. ☹

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Truth be told I try very hard to use natural remedies or products / ideas when and where I can.

We have super short summers here and having tried most of the common recommendations and weeks going by with no positive movement.

Had to break down and use some chemicals. ☹
Oh, yeah....I was squirttin' some new spring weeds last weekend in the pea gravel bed that surrounds my house with go ol' Roundup...... :cool:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, yeah....I was squirttin' some new spring weeds last weekend in the pea gravel bed that surrounds my house with go ol' Roundup...... :cool:
Our neighbor has what they term a hobby farm. So they provided us some commercial round up.

The first time they gave me a sample and told me how much round up to water ratio.

I just burst out laughing because it was so minuscule to what I thought would be needed. Lo and behold I obviously had egg on my face because that couple of tea spoons was plenty and just a squirt with the pressurized sprayer - Bam!

Probably in an hour you could see the leaf getting very dry. About 3-5 days depending upon what kind of weed was being treated.

The entire weed of whatever was gone into the ground like it was melted by fire!

Which obviously led me to go buy a huge blow torch! ‍♂

I honestly don’t know why I waited so long to buy one of these things! Has so many uses besides torching weeds away and it’s instant gratification!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which obviously led me to go buy a huge blow torch! ‍♂
I gotta admit....I didn't think of that for these weeds and it would be perfect because it's pure pea gravel, no flowers or shrubs....just weeds.

I've got 3 of the 5 gal. propane tanks that I keep full for my propane portable generator so no problem with getting a torch on the end of a hose with a wand. I've seen those things all my life and I must have forgotten about them. I used to see the contractors in the roadway heating the asphalt with one for a few seconds before applying the reflective lane delineators that were pre-coated with epoxy; the heat would accelerate the curing of the epoxy and strengthen the bond.

Thanks, man!:headbang:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 192716
Ants normally I have not found to be problematic ..

Rodents ( Squirrels and Rats ) however ..

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I gotta admit....I didn't think of that for these weeds and it would be perfect because it's pure pea gravel, no flowers or shrubs....just weeds.

I've got 3 of the 5 gal. propane tanks that I keep full for my propane portable generator so no problem with getting a torch on the end of a hose with a wand. I've seen those things all my life and I must have forgotten about them. I used to see the contractors in the roadway heating the asphalt with one for a few seconds before applying the reflective lane delineators that were pre-coated with epoxy; the heat would accelerate the curing of the epoxy and strengthen the bond.

Thanks, man!:headbang:
Like you I’ve seen and been around them for years. But, for whatever reason never pushed forward to buy one.

It’s safe to say two summer’s ago was the turning / breaking point for me. Didn’t want to keep using chemicals never mind the crazy high costs for the same. But for whatever reason like the ants the entire area just broke out in every kind of weed I’ve never seen in the city?!?

Anyways that was the breaking point and bought a torch that had good Amazon ratings.

Still have to break down and buy a light weight hand truck. Because lugging around the 20 lbs propane tank when it’s 45’C is just killer!

BTW: Don’t be like me and try to wear shorts and sneakers! The blow back and heat will singe the hairs off your leg and make the boys in your pants just scream!

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like you I’ve seen and been around them for years. But, for whatever reason never pushed forward to buy one.

It’s safe to say two summer’s ago was the turning / breaking point for me. Didn’t want to keep using chemicals never mind the crazy high costs for the same. But for whatever reason like the ants the entire area just broke out in every kind of weed I’ve never seen in the city?!?

Anyways that was the breaking point and bought a torch that had good Amazon ratings.

Still have to break down and buy a light weight hand truck. Because lugging around the 20 lbs propane tank when it’s 45’C is just killer!

BTW: Don’t be like me and try to wear shorts and sneakers! The blow back and heat will singe the hairs off your leg and make the boys in your pants just scream!
OK, just picked up the propane torch at Harbor Freight on my way back form the podiatrist. It looks a lot like yours: 6-1/2 foot hose, Piezo push-button ignition, connector for 25 lb. propane tank. The plan is to sit the tank in my 4 wheel garden cart and pull it with one hand while I wield the torch in the other. I plan to mow some grass later today and if the wind will die down a bit I'll light this puppy off and burn some weeds. Gotta watch out, I've heard that my late uncle was a pyromaniac...... :lmao:

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, just picked up the propane torch at Harbor Freight on my way back form the podiatrist. It looks a lot like yours: 6-1/2 foot hose, Piezo push-button ignition, connector for 25 lb. propane tank. The plan is to sit the tank in my 4 wheel garden cart and pull it with one hand while I wield the torch in the other. I plan to mow some grass later today and if the wind will die down a bid I'll light this puppy off and burn some weeds. Gotta watch out, I've heard that my late uncle was a pyromaniac...... :lmao:
That’s great to hear as I’m sure you’ll see the benefits now and in the long term.

Safety Nancy: It goes without saying it’s important to wear the appropriate PPE. Shoes, pants, ear, glasses when and where possible.

Use a hose to wet down anything that may catch fire and reduce the possibility of hot embers flying around.

Only torch during calm winds and far away of anything that might react to an open flame.

As all plumbers say No bubbles - No troubles Insure the fitting is properly tightened and use a soapy solution to verify all the connections to the tank / handle are sound.

Once you’re done and have properly purged the entire gun. Lay the hot end on concrete and let assembly cool before storing the same.

Rock On . . .