BlueIris compatible doorbell camera recomendations

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a LaView LV-PDB1630 that I'm using for my front doorbell and it keeps dropping its connection so I'm losing a LOT of footage. I have a first-generation Hikvision DS-HD1 on the back door and it works great, but my only complaint was that the video quality/resolution isn't that clear.

So I was excited when I heard that Hikvision came out with a newer version of that camera, but for some reason, it has worse video quality (2MP: DS-HD2). I have no idea why they would do that, but I'm not going to buy a camera with worse quality.

I was looking on Amazon and all of the best-rated cameras (Blink, Ring, etc.) will not work with BlueIris and there's no easy way to tell which models are compatible, so I thought I would come here for recommendations. Does anyone have a good experience with a decent quality doorbell camera (powered via wires, but wireless network) that will work with BlueIris?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolink, no question (although I suggest you avoid ALL of their other, non-doorbell cameras!) and your needs (wired for power but connected wirelessly for data) is how mine works. It's been in place since late June '23 and has been rock-steady. Here's how I made mine work with Blue Iris ==>> New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

FYI, the start of the thread here:

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ran into this review while searching:

It recommends the Amcrest AD410 which (they say) works with BlueIris! They also say it's dual band which is GREAT because I just bought a 5Ghz Wimesh system. But I'm suspicious of review websites because they usually are paid to promote brands. I tried to read the Amazon reviews but this doorbell camera isn't available on Amazon (Canada OR US). I've also noticed Arlo, Wyze, Eufy show up on quite a few reviews, and they're on Amazon, but I can't tell if they're BlueIris compatible. I haven't seen Reolink come up once in any of the reviews, but I'll dig into those.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd LOVE a POE doorbell, but I don't think I could get a cable up to the doorbell location.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd LOVE a POE doorbell, but I don't think I could get a cable up to the doorbell location.
My 2 Reolinks are connected to the existing doorbell wiring from a 20VAC transformer and are running 5GHz Wi-Fi (they also work with 2.4GHz) off dedicated AP's and stream very reliably to Blue Iris.

No issues with the existing chimes either as each has its own plug-in chime with customizable ring tone and volume level.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

It recommends the Amcrest AD410 which (they say) works with BlueIris! They also say it's dual band which is GREAT because I just bought a 5Ghz Wimesh system. But I'm suspicious of review websites because they usually are paid to promote brands. I tried to read the Amazon reviews but this doorbell camera isn't available on Amazon (Canada OR US). I've also noticed Arlo, Wyze, Eufy show up on quite a few reviews, and they're on Amazon, but I can't tell if they're BlueIris compatible. I haven't seen Reolink come up once in any of the reviews, but I'll dig into those.
I'd be suspicious too.

Any review of "the best video doorbells of 2023" that does NOT even mention the Reolink is not very comprehensive or useful, IMO.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My 2 Reolinks are connected to the existing doorbell wiring from a 20VAC transformer and are running 5GHz Wi-Fi (they also work with 2.4GHz) off dedicated AP's and stream very reliably to Blue Iris.

No issues with the existing chimes either as each has its own plug-in chime with customizable ring tone and volume level.
I can't seem to find a wireless version on Amazon. This may just force me to spend some time fishing a wire to my front door. That outside wall is going to be hell....

But how is the "hub"? Does it need to be plugged in? That is essentially your door bell chime, right? So it has to be plugged in where everyone can hear it?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a wireless version on Amazon.
Here it is on US site ==>> here.
But how is the "hub"? Does it need to be plugged in? That is essentially your door bell chime, right? So it has to be plugged in where everyone can hear it?
There is no hub, just plug the furnished chime into any wall outlet not too far away (not sure of the range, it's 433MHz, IIRC).
One of mine is about 50 ft. from the doorbell.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

terrible article

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I think I'm sold on the Reolink, but I'm going to try to see if I can get the POE running at my door (if I can run the cable).

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Whats the deal with the "newish" UniFi G4 Pro? I saw that its finely in stock and was looking here yesterday to see if there were more than one or two people using it but couldn't find anything. 4 and 5 letter words or less dont work well in search so I may have just missed it.

Please, someone that's been using it with BI for awhile let me know if its worth dropping $300 on.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:cool: Posted by @David L , who said "...for those who want to use their existing Chime with the ReoLink DB:"