Cuban Classic Cars

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Sad to say, but probably the only thing left that is classic is the skin.
Yes, very rare for a car to have the original drive train. Often, they were done away with just in the interest of fuel efficiency. I have a friend with a gorgeous '57 Pontiac Laurentian. All original save for the AC he put in and the drive train which is a Mercedez-Benz diesel and transmission. He does longer-distance trips so he didn't have much of a choice. Did the frame-up restoration himself and is only the second owner.

FB_IMG_1689867999450.jpg

Reaction score
I'm impressed with that work truck still getting it done!
From that wavy front grill, guessing that it is a late 1940's - 1950's Chevy commercial truck?
Whatever it is, it has a custom bumper, modern running boards and side mirrors. It also looks as
though the front fenders have been modified to accommodate those beefy front wheels and tires?

As I've mentioned before, I love that grand old building you live in. One thing that always catches my eye is the
wrought iron railings. The front style looks very traditional:

1689872534050.png

but then the entry gate with the rectangular features looks, to me anyway, quite unusual... perhaps custom-built?

1689872610840.png

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm impressed with that work truck still getting it done!
From that wavy front grill, guessing that it is a late 1940's - 1950's Chevy commercial truck?
Whatever it is, it has a custom bumper, modern running boards and side mirrors. It also looks as
though the front fenders have been modified to accommodate those beefy front wheels and tires?

As I've mentioned before, I love that grand old building you live in. One thing that always catches my eye is the
wrought iron railings. The front style looks very traditional:

View attachment 168112

but then the entry gate with the rectangular features looks, to me anyway, quite unusual... perhaps custom-built?

View attachment 168113
Yeah, lots of older trucks like that. Some for cargo others modified for long-distance passenger trips. Never done it, but they say it's not a pleasant trip with the hard suspension and lack of AC!

Thank you again for the compliments on the house! It's a lot of work maintaining particularly painting as the hot sun just seems to burn the paint off. I bought some waterproof paint to try in the front entrance. If it turns out well, when we repaint the outside, we'll use that.

You're right, the garage gates are original. The modern gate is mine and much newer. The last owner was a nut and got rid of some of the original ironwork. In the future, I'd like to replace my modern gate with one styled like the original ones so they all match. Will cost a bit more but I strive for authenticity!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, very rare for a car to have the original drive train. Often, they were done away with just in the interest of fuel efficiency. I have a friend with a gorgeous '57 Pontiac Laurentian. All original save for the AC he put in and the drive train which is a Mercedez-Benz diesel and transmission. He does longer-distance trips so he didn't have much of a choice. Did the frame-up restoration himself and is only the second owner.

View attachment 168103
It's a beauty, even if the drive train is understandably not original.

You can see in it the same body lines of other GM's "Body by Fisher" creations of '57, the Oldsmobile, Chevy and Buick. It's sad to me, having grown up in the 50's, seeing the demise of the Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and Mercurys in the last few years, Plymouth even earlier. I was born in '49 and recall the Edsels, Desotos, Studebakers, Packards, Hudsons, Nashes, Metropolitans, Ramblers, Willys, King Midgets, Crosleys, Kaisers-Frazers and even Henry J's. Some seem strange now but many are so full of character, IMO.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a beauty, even if the drive train is understandably not original.

You can see in it the same body lines of other GM's "Body by Fisher" creations of '57, the Oldsmobile, Chevy and Buick. It's sad to me, having grown up in the 50's, seeing the demise of the Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and Mercurys in the last few years, Plymouth even earlier. I was born in '49 and recall the Edsels, Desotos, Studebakers, Packards, Hudsons, Nashes, Metropolitans, Ramblers, Willys, King Midgets, Crosleys, Kaisers-Frazers and even Henry J's. Some seem strange now but many are so full of character, IMO.
My father was born in 1933 and is still with us. He remembers much the same as you do. There were tonnes more manufacturers than there are today and the styling has never been matched.

90% of modern vehicles are so plain and generic. It's a shame they moved away from classy design.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
For @TonyR! Another old truck doing the rounds. They bring in produce from the countryside daily and sell it at the various farmer's markets. Looks like plantains and probably advocados. It's summer advocado season (there's another one in December). One of my favourite salads!

Guys in the back need to stay awake so they don't get thrown off the truck by a low-hanging branch.

View attachment NVR_ch1_main_20230722033247_20230722033304.mp4

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For @TonyR! Another old truck doing the rounds. They bring in produce from the countryside daily and sell it at the various farmer's markets. Looks like plantains and probably advocados. It's summer advocado season (there's another one in December). One of my favourite salads!

Guys in the back need to stay awake so they don't get thrown off the truck by a low-hanging branch.
Maybe an old GMC? Whatever it is, I think it's got split rims......the old REALLY dangerous kind!

Reaction score
Hey, @dmcIPCAM! Not all these Polish Fiats want to start on their own! lol
That is toooooo funny! Thanks, @CanCuba for posting that video! :thumb:

I went to high school in rural Florida in the 70's where, well, as my grandparents used to say: "Poor folks have strange ways..."
But one of the rustic characters I knew had an late 60's VW Van and one of the reasons he liked his girlfriend so much was that
she was willing to push start it when they went on dates! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I suspect there are lots of folks on this forum who have push started an air-cooled VW of some kind! :lol:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
My 2nd. car was a white '69 bug. My dad traded my '63 fire breathing Galixie 500 off one afternoon while I was at school.
He handed me the keys and said "Hot this SOB"! Challenge accepted. It went from 1600 cc to over 2 L. or from 53 HP to over 150HP.
He eventually succumbed and had me build him a monster '63.

Reaction score
Yup. My first car was a 1966 VW bug that I bought used in 1971. Simple to push start it.

View attachment 174235
Sincerely, that is a beauty. Those cars were so much fun to drive. I'm not too knowledgeable on the years, but if I remember
correctly the '66 was still a 6-volt bug, correct? And the hot setup was an 8-volt lawn tractor battery! :cool:

Last edited: