Cuban Classic Cars

Reaction score
My 2nd. car was a white '69 bug. My dad traded my '63 fire breathing Galixie 500 off one afternoon while I was at school.
He handed me the keys and said "Hot this SOB"! Challenge accepted. It went from 1600 cc to over 2 L. or from 53 HP to over 150HP.
He eventually succumbed and had me build him a monster '63.
LOL! Dad, dad, dad - never underestimate challenging a brash teenager! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Reaction score
Sincerely, that is a beauty. Those cars were so much fun to drive. I'm not too knowledgeable on the years, but if I remember correctly the '66 was still a 6-volt bug, correct? And the hot setup was an 8-volt lawn tractor battery! :cool:
You know, I really don't remember. I bought it used from a policeman friend of my dad's. Paid $300 for it. It was flat black color. I gave it a good waxing and it shined right up.

The heater lever was stuck on, so the air that circulated through the engine and came back hot all the time. To get around that, you had to take the collapsible duct off in the summer.

I went to change the oil once I got it and nothing came out. I pulled the screen off and nothing came out. Stuck my hand in there and scooped out a bunch of sludge and meatal filings. Put the screen and drain plug back and started adding oil. It began leaking out between the two halves of the block. So I tightened up all of those bolts and it stopped leaking oil. It ran much better then.

It had a windshield washer that was connected to the spare tire air valve. That was what gave it pressure to spray. You pressed a plunger on the dash to work it. I found out that if you pulled the plunger it would come out and the water would spray out from that plunger socket. If the washer did not work, you were either out of water or the spare tire was flat.

I ultimately sold it for $500 a few years later.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
My 2nd. car was a white '69 bug. My dad traded my '63 fire breathing Galixie 500 off one afternoon while I was at school.
He handed me the keys and said "Hot this SOB"! Challenge accepted. It went from 1600 cc to over 2 L. or from 53 HP to over 150HP.
He eventually succumbed and had me build him a monster '63.
My father bought his dad's '68 Olds Cutlass (it wouldn't have been a 442, these folks are too cheap, lol) when I was around 10. Beautiful car. Lots of memories.

He broke my heart when he sold it before I turned 16. Said I would have killed myself with that car. Probably right. Gramps had removed whatever emission controls would have been on the car at the time.

Dad sold it to a collector with an identical car after the collector's car had been in an accident.

Almost bought a black 442 a few years ago. Then I remembered what money pits cars are.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
"Cars are money pits" Wait a minute pardner!!!! How in the heck do you think I could afford
steak to my little ones? Those are non-fungible (I heard this twenty five cent word lately) assets
with a negative return in some(?) cases. ;)

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sincerely, that is a beauty. Those cars were so much fun to drive. I'm not too knowledgeable on the years, but if I remember
correctly the '66 was still a 6-volt bug, correct? And the hot setup was an 8-volt lawn tractor battery! :cool:
The '66 was the last year of the 6-volt system,
last year of the (related) glass headlight covers,
last year of the swing-axle suspension,
last year of the "wide five" lug bolt pattern wheels,
the first and last (only) year of the 1300cc engine!
There were also '66-omly bumper guards and some random trim pieces as well

An original un-modified '66 is quite a collectible, these days!

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My father bought his dad's '68 Olds Cutlass (it wouldn't have been a 442, these folks are too cheap, lol) when I was around 10. Beautiful car. Lots of memories.

He broke my heart when he sold it before I turned 16. Said I would have killed myself with that car. Probably right. Gramps had removed whatever emission controls would have been on the car at the time.

Dad sold it to a collector with an identical car after the collector's car had been in an accident.

Almost bought a black 442 a few years ago. Then I remembered what money pits cars are.
When my mother was in the showroom negotiating on her very first new-car buy (and her first car buy as a single mom) the guy ushered her into the finance office while I was making raucous engine noises and rowing through the gears of the 4-4-2 convertible on the floor.... and then my 9-year-old ass was un-carefully ~~removed~~~ from the hot seat, by the Sales Manager. I begged her to get the 4-4-2.... I even told her it was OK to get the Hardtop... she paid no heed and
seven years later that white/dark blue 330ci 2bbl 2spd 4-door was my first car

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The '66 was the last year of the 6-volt system,
last year of the (related) glass headlight covers,
last year of the swing-axle suspension,
last year of the "wide five" lug bolt pattern wheels,
the first and last (only) year of the 1300cc engine!
There were also '66-omly bumper guards and some random trim pieces as well

An original un-modified '66 is quite a collectible, these days!
You are correct on almost all of those points, except for the transition year from swing-axle to I.R.S. (C.V.-joint) real axles (1968 was the last year for swing-axles, 1969 had the C.V. joints), and wide-five pattern wheels (1967 still had them, 1968 had the narrow 4-bolt pattern). Not that anyone else is likely to care on this forum, but true fanatics (myself included) will know those things by heart.

Technically, there could be extremely rare examples (of a handful of cars) that received some of these "transition" parts in the last month or two of production prior to switching model years, but they would never be "off" by two model years, just one at most.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are correct on almost all of those points, except for the transition year from swing-axle to I.R.S. (C.V.-joint) real axles (1968 was the last year for swing-axles, 1969 had the C.V. joints), and wide-five pattern wheels (1967 still had them, 1968 had the narrow 4-bolt pattern). Not that anyone else is likely to care on this forum, but true fanatics (myself included) will know those things by heart.

Technically, there could be extremely rare examples (of a handful of cars) that received some of these "transition" parts in the last month or two of production prior to switching model years, but they would never be "off" by two model years, just one at most.
Yeah my memory has faded in the transition details. '66 remains a pivotal year, though the IRS was by far the most significant functional change until the Super Beetle came out as an alternative, different in so many ways...while the standard beetle carried on in various markets.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah my memory has faded in the transition details. '66 remains a pivotal year, though the IRS was by far the most significant functional change until the Super Beetle came out as an alternative, different in so many ways...while the standard beetle carried on in various markets.
I'll grant you that, although I would add that each of the years from '66 through '69 had many quite notable changes; some structural/functional, some more visually noticeable, but all significant. Super Beetles are a whole 'nuther subject entirely, but I'll stop before we lose the rest of our "intended" audience completely ;). Best discussed on The Samba forums....

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll grant you that, although I would add that each of the years from '66 through '69 had many quite notable changes; some structural/functional, some more visually noticeable, but all significant. Super Beetles are a whole 'nuther subject entirely, but I'll stop before we lose the rest of our "intended" audience completely ;). Best discussed on The Samba forums....
It's a good thing we didn't touch on the cabriolets!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Growing up in SF a lot of friends were Cuban. If someone got upside down on a vehicle, fully insured of course, you could sell it to them and away she went! Guess they didn’t need titles back then.