Dahua IP Cams change IP after NVR restart or power cycle on the cameras

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having issues with my IP cams changing IPs if they loose power or the NVR is shutdown and turned back on.

I have 7 cameras on a NVR5216-16P-4KS2E. 5 of the cameras are connected via a switch that is directly plugged into a port on the back of the NVR. 2 of the cameras are connected directly into the NVR. I went through set static IPs on all my cameras and assigned channels 1-7. Diagram Attached.

After a shutdown or restart on the NVR few of the cameras have changed IPs. and one has moved to a different channel.

What am I doing wrong on config?

Thanks

Attachments

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If you say: the POE switch is connected to a port on the back: do you mean a POE port or the LAN port?
It would help if you draw the complete network, including the IP address you put (static) and the ones you get (changed dynamically?), plus the IP address LAN side of your NVR.
In theory, this NVR uses DHCP for the "internal POE ports", so whether or not the IP's change, the cams should come up at the same channels. Also show us that DHCP setting (subnet etc) on the NVR.

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@catcamstar maybe this new image will help. I had to manually register the cameras on the switch (D1 - D5) and assign static IPs for the NVR to work with them. What's happen is the camera in channel D5 with a static IP of (192.1.1.54) is changing to a dynamic IP of (192.1.1.16 ) and moving to channel D16. Because I have a external switch here is there something else I need to configure to tell the Dahua NVR the cameras should remain in their assigned channel? Not sure why the external switch is confusing the NVR? It seem pretty straight forward. Thanks

Untitled1.png

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
And it's only the cam on D5 that is causing this? What surprises me most is that the NVR changes it to channel 16 (saying POE port 16).

Just to make sure:
- your "to LAN", what is your subnet there? Not 192.1.1.x right?
- can you show us a screenshot of NVR setting: Network - Switch --> TCP settings

In the worst case, would it "hurt" you to "unconfigure" all the cams from the POE switch, then go to the on-screen display of the NVR, select the (+) sign in a channel, "detect camera" and put the required cam in that channel.

Hope this helps!
CC

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have had this happen also, The cams were not retaining settings and IP,s..A firmware update on the cams and NVR corrected the issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why the external switch is confusing the NVR?
I do believe that's an unconventional and unsupported arrangement.
Certainly it wouldn't work on a Hikvision NVR - only one camera would be visible via the NVR PoE-port-connected switch.

My suggestion would be to connect the switch uplink to the same LAN as the LAN port of the NVR, re-address the cameras IP addresses to match LAN requirements, and reconfigure the NVR PoE channels IP addresses to match that of the LAN-connected cameras.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you excluded the static addresses from the dhcp pool? Not too sure if that can be done on the NVR, if not then maybe start your dhcp addresses from a value which excludes the static addresses?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Certainly it wouldn't work on a Hikvision NVR - only one camera would be visible via the NVR PoE-port-connected switch.

My suggestion would be to connect the switch uplink to the same LAN as the LAN port of the NVR, re-address the cameras IP addresses to match LAN requirements, and reconfigure the NVR PoE channels IP addresses to match that of the LAN-connected cameras.
I have done it that way many times as per the OP's diagram. The NVR sometimes picks up the cams (behind the switch)and sometimes not, If not you can easily do a manual add and it will find them. I have systems set up in that manor running for years with Zero issues. Unconventional, perhaps but it does work. As per my post # 5 , for some reason on restart some of the cam would do just what the OP's cams were doing. I will add to this , The best way I have found is to set ALL cams to static, Install the cams that plug in direct first, then manually add the rest of them through the POE switch.

Last edited:

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

If you do what you are suggesting here you could have cameras in two different subnets if you don't change the settings plus this would expose the IP cams to other devices on the network and internet. I thought the idea was to have all the cameras behind the NVR switch. right?

Last edited:

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you excluded the static addresses from the dhcp pool? Not too sure if that can be done on the NVR, if not then maybe start your dhcp addresses from a value which excludes the static addresses?

I don't think that is the problem here. However I think its better to have the NVR assign IPs to the cameras because then you can directly access the cameras via a port using the NVRs IP.

camera1 -->> 192.168.1.1:1080 for example

Last edited:

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have done it that way many times as per the OP's diagram. The NVR sometimes picks up the cams (behind the switch)and sometimes not, If not you can easily do a manual add and it will find them. I have systems set up in that manor running for years with Zero issues. Unconventional, perhaps but it does work. As per my post # 5 , for some reason on restart some of the cam would do just what the OP's cams were doing. I will add to this , The best way I have found is to set ALL cams to static, Install the cams that plug in direct first, then manually add the rest of them through the POE switch.
Okay looks like I need to go through and locate firmware updates for all the cameras. Any help on the firmware for these models would be appreciated

IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
IPC-B5442E-ZE
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you do what you are suggesting here you could have cameras in two different subnets if you don't change the settings plus this would expose the IP cams to other devices on the network
Sure. But the NVR isn't a firewall - it's not hard to go via the NVR to the PoE-port-connected cameras.
Hikvision's 'Virtual Host' and the Dahua equivalent enable that.

this would expose the IP cams to other devices on the network and internet.
Yes indeed. It's certainly a bad idea to allow the internet to access the cameras, that's asking to be exploited.
'Port forwarding' is too easy and too tempting for people who genuinely want to access their CCTV from outside the home. And often unknowingly risky.
Best to protect the cameras with a proper security barrier, such as a firewall or VLAN and not rely on the NVR internals.

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sure. But the NVR isn't a firewall - it's not hard to go via the NVR to the PoE-port-connected cameras.
Hikvision's 'Virtual Host' and the Dahua equivalent enable that.

Yes indeed. It's certainly a bad idea to allow the internet to access the cameras, that's asking to be exploited.
'Port forwarding' is too easy and too tempting for people who genuinely want to access their CCTV from outside the home. And often unknowingly risky.
Best to protect the cameras with a proper security barrier, such as a firewall or VLAN and not rely on the NVR internals.
Thanks yeah my NVR is behind a firewall and on its own VLAN

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay looks like I need to go through and locate firmware updates for all the cameras. Any help on the firmware for these models would be appreciated

IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
IPC-B5442E-ZE
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
Google the model, should take you to the dahua site..30 second google on the 4431em-ase ------>IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE This is for the International Model, If you have Re-Worked Chinese Model you might be FU*&ED.

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like getting my firmware from Andy since I bought from him is what I need to do... Thanks should have looked there first before posting but I'm new around here :) I haven't updated yet but I'll report back once I have time to do so... Thanks

[NVR5216-16P-4KS2E Update]
Big update!! NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.000.0000000.0.R.20190713

[CAMERA UPDATES]

This firmware is for
IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

Email Bug fixed Firmware for IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000008.0.R.190619.zip
Email Bug fixed Firmware for IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000008.0.R.190619.zip

This firmware is for IPC-B5442E-ZE

AI 4.0 latest new firmware DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.0.R.190521.zip
AI 4.0 latest new firmware DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.0.R.190521.zip