FCC Bans U.S. Sales of Dahua and others - for law enforement use only - not private business or personal use.

Chris J LaBoda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Edit by fenderman
Fixed. Edited the tiled for you. There is no ban and it certainly not related to a national security risk or they would ban all the unsafe china cams.

Last edited by a moderator:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Several threads already discussing it and how it only affects government installations....

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think some folks don't scan the posts for the last day or two before posting a "new" topic.....if they did they'd discover it's already been posted, maybe 2 or 3 times. :idk: :cool:
Yep, we have seen a lot of the new topic posts recently that have already been discussed, sometimes within hours of the post LOL... This isn't Facebook LOL. I hate FB groups as it is always the same questions over and over and over....a quick glance over or quick search goes a long way....

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
While this forum's title is wrong ("FCC Bans U.S. Sales of Dahua and others"), this is "new" news. This is the actual enforcement decision of the FCC which was directed by the Secure Equipment Act last year and is a step forward in restricting usage of Dahua, HIkvision, etc.

Last year Fenderman declared "Not to worry, these are the same schmuks at the FCC who cant seem to figure out how to stop indian/pakistani robo calls and spammers/scammers who cause billions in losses every year. The Chinese will run circles around them."

Dahua and Hikvision lobbied hard and spent heavily to stop the FCC but it went through.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While this forum's title is wrong ("FCC Bans U.S. Sales of Dahua and others"), this is "new" news. This is the actual enforcement decision of the FCC which was directed by the Secure Equipment Act last year and is a step forward in restricting usage of Dahua, HIkvision, etc.

Last year Fenderman declared "Not to worry, these are the same schmuks at the FCC who cant seem to figure out how to stop indian/pakistani robo calls and spammers/scammers who cause billions in losses every year. The Chinese will run circles around them."

Dahua and Hikvision lobbied hard and spent heavily to stop the FCC but it went through.
And i was 100 percent right. THERE IS NO BAN ON DAHUA OR HIK for non law enforcement use. STOP LYING JOHN. You owe dahua an apology for the fake story you posted on your blog.
US bans approval of new technology from China's Huawei and ZTE for 'national security

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a link to the FCC press release that's stirring this up today:

The first sentence says:
"The Federal Communications Commission adopted new rules prohibiting communications equipment deemed to pose an unacceptable risk to
national security from being authorized for importation or sale in the United States."

So right or wrong, I can see how this new info is being interpreted by some as a total sales ban. I thought the prior rules banned the equipment from being used for national security purposes. This seems to say it's a complete ban because of national security concerns. If only national security was important for other things like the southern border!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a link to the FCC press release that's stirring this up today:

The first sentence says:
"The Federal Communications Commission adopted new rules prohibiting communications equipment deemed to pose an unacceptable risk to
national security from being authorized for importation or sale in the United States."

So right or wrong, I can see how this new info is being interpreted by some as a total sales ban. I thought the prior rules banned the equipment from being used for national security purposes. This seems to say it's a complete ban because of national security concerns. If only national security was important for other things like the southern border!
The press release links to this page explaining further that it is only refusing to authorize the devices for specific case uses. List of Equipment and Services Covered By Section 2 of The Secure Networks Act

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The press release links to this page explaining further that it is only refusing to authorize the devices for specific case uses. List of Equipment and Services Covered By Section 2 of The Secure Networks Act
We're reading the same thing differently. I'm interpreting the Report and Order along with the Covered List as being the old rules, now superseded by the new rules. I'm not trying to get in a big debate about it. We'll find out the bottom line eventually. Here's another interpretation somewhere in-between what you're thinking and what I'm interpreting:
"The companies will be prohibited from exporting new products into the United States, though stops short of demanding of recalling existing Chinese technology used by American firms today." FCC Votes Unanimously to Expand Ban on Chinese Tech

Would "new products" mean newly sold, or new models? Reminds me of Audi having skirted OBD requirements in the '90s by having a 1995.5 model that sold in the US for a couple of additional years.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We're reading the same thing differently. I'm interpreting the Report and Order along with the Covered List as being the old rules, now superseded by the new rules. I'm not trying to get in a big debate about it. We'll find out the bottom line eventually. Here's another interpretation somewhere in-between what you're thinking and what I'm interpreting:
"The companies will be prohibited from exporting new products into the United States, though stops short of demanding of recalling existing Chinese technology used by American firms today." FCC Votes Unanimously to Expand Ban on Chinese Tech

Would "new products" mean newly sold, or new models? Reminds me of Audi having skirted OBD requirements in the '90s by having a 1995.5 model that sold in the US for a couple of additional years.
You are not reading it in context. The prohibition is limited to the case uses. The FCC literally linked to the page with the covered devices in the press release dated November 25, 2022 that you cited. Forgive me, but the news writer is an idiot and doesnt make policy. New products would be any new device that requires new authorization based on prior rules. The report and order adopted on the 25th is clear on this.

it also defines public safety as
210. With respect to “public safety,” we find that this includes services provided by State or local government entities, or services by non-governmental agencies authorized by a governmental entity if their primary mission is the provision of services, that protect the safety of life, health, and property, including but not limited to police, fire, and emergency medical services.523 For purposes of implementing the Secure Networks Act and the Secure Equipment Act, we interpret public safety broadly to encompass the services provided by Federal law enforcement and professional security services, where the primary mission is the provision of services, that protect the safety of life, health, and property. We believe that this best fulfills Congress’ intent with respect to the scope of public safety as that term is used in section 889(f)(3) in connection with “covered” Hytera, Hikvision, and Dahua equipment and the other terms in that section.

As such there is no refusal to authorize for personal or commercial use. They will make hik/dahua jump through approval hoops however they cannot refuse authorization.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Forgive me, but the news writer is an idiot and doesnt make policy.
Nothing to forgive! Most of them are true idiots. You could be correct about context. It would be nice if these laws and regulations didn't need extensive research to figure out what the heck they're saying. Here's yet another press interpretation from The FCC just banned these Chinese cameras and telecom hardware from reaching the US

"So if they agree to market the cams to consumers, or small businesses, they can probably be imported and sold just fine. Also, it’s not like the FCC is revoking authorizations for existing products."
Yet the title of the article is:
"The FCC just banned these Chinese cameras and telecom hardware from reaching the US"

The dang title disagrees with what the article says. How many different versions are there are of this one rule?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing to forgive! Most of them are true idiots. You could be correct about context. It would be nice if these laws and regulations didn't need extensive research to figure out what the heck they're saying. Here's yet another press interpretation from The FCC just banned these Chinese cameras and telecom hardware from reaching the US

"So if they agree to market the cams to consumers, or small businesses, they can probably be imported and sold just fine. Also, it’s not like the FCC is revoking authorizations for existing products."
Yet the title of the article is:
"The FCC just banned these Chinese cameras and telecom hardware from reaching the US"

The dang title disagrees with what the article says. How many different versions are there are of this one rule?
See my post above It's not that I can be correct about context. I am correct because the FCC actually defined "public safety", In the report and order issued on the 25th of November. There is no ambiguity there's no question of interpretation.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some recent action on the topic:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some recent action on the topic:

The Hikvision suit is ironic, IMO.....a state-owned company, a state that allows / encourages counterfeiting of international brands, is unhappy because of denial to compete in the U.S. market. Let's not even bring up human rights violations.