Hello! Finally registered :)

ipdrifter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, have been using BI for about 2 years now. Learned a lot about BI through this forum.

BI has been a journey, started with normal wifi cloud cameras, was annoyed how long it took to load the stream if i heard something outside. And after learning about all the risk assosicated with those cams i took them all down and gave them away, warned the people i gave them to but some really dont give a ...

Got into poe cameras and seperate VLANs. Planned a network, have about 10 wired cams running now. Got my old pc (i7 4770k, 8gb and a gtx1060, 8TB wd purple) to run BI.

I have 3 reolink camera's (i know i know) Got them working right in the sense that i have a stable stream, but that means i can't use a substream or the full 4k. Have to use 2560x1440 RTMP otherwise i get the famed glitching, wild framerates and stuttering.

I run the AI on the GPU otherwise i can hear the CPU scream in the basement. Lots of random movement here to check for the AI that eats up resources.

Planning to upgrade to a new machine (want to install and use for at least the next 5-8 years) also plan to use the codeproject AI and a homeassistant docker so in a way i think the performance is nice to have. Any suggestions are very welcome.

I7 12700k
MSI PRO B760M-P
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
Samsung 980 SSD, 500GB, M.2 NVMe

But anyway the main reason for registering is that some of my no brand chinese cams are failing and i want to replace those first. They are overview cams for the rear door and a grass field. The area is well lit at night but i made a mistake buying those reolink cams (in combination with BI) and i wanted to check for advice before purchasing any new cams.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome,

Sorry to hear you were burned by the reolinks! It seems a lot do.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

It is recommended to buy one varifocal like the 5442-ZE (54IR-ZE) and play and learn from it and then buy cameras to meet your need for each location.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Welocome...I'm having a good time running my Dell Precision 3630 tower with a gtx 1060 and 32 GB of ram. i have 4 drives installed, 2 250GB SSD's ( 1 is a clone of C:\ every 2 hours) 1 8TB WD purz. and another 8 TB for storage of other data. 5 more years might be a stretch on my 8th Generation processor. maybe you can see what Dell Precision Towers are sporting these days in the 10th Generation or whatever they're on these days. It's getting hard and harder to find full towers with big 3.5" drive capacity as Solid State drives are all the rage.
1713762464400.png
CPU is barely working. GPU is enabled for 2 cams on Code Project.
1713762619315.png

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ipdrifter

n3wb
Reaction score
Jesus that was a long intro. Think mine said something like Uggggg!

Welcome non-lurker

Why waste time say lot word when few word do trick?

Welocome...I'm having a good time running my Dell Precision 3630 tower with a gtx 1060 and 32 GB of ram. i have 4 drives installed, 2 250GB SSD's ( 1 is a clone of C:\ every 2 hours) 1 8TB WD purz. and another 8 TB for storage of other data. 5 more years might be a stretch on my 8th Generation processor. maybe you can see what Dell Precision Towers are sporting these days in the 10th Generation or whatever they're on these days. It's getting hard and harder to find full towers with big 3.5" drive capacity as Solid State drives are all the rage.
View attachment 192909
CPU is barely working. GPU is enabled for 2 cams on Code Project.
View attachment 192910
Thank you for the links! I'll have a look at those and see if they are available in my area

ipdrifter

n3wb
Reaction score
In the end i went for the I7-12700k. For anybody reading this in the future, with this upgrade i got my reolinks RLC-811A with FW v3.1.0.989_22051908 to work normal on the 3840*2160 RTSP stream with intel +VPP enabled (BI version 5.9.0.1) Can even use substreams now without glitching/framedrops.

When using Codeproject AI Object Detection YOLOv5 .NET this introduced framedrops in the reolinks streams. YOLOv5 3.1 on GPU is stable and does not seem to cause issues so far.