Hi All!

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been doing research for a while and really haven't been able to narrow down what would be best for what I am looking for. I am in a rural area and would like to have the following:

- minimum 2 IP cameras, max 4 cameras to cover all outside areas with NVR
- Would like to hook up monitor at NVR
- Would like to have ability to view cameras via my smart phone and view cameras on 2 tv's I have in the home
- This would be outside cameras only. There are no outside lights so I would like a camera that has good quality at night and day
- Would like to stick around $500 of less if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If any further information is needed, please let me know.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Four cameras to cover all outside areas probably won't be enough, eight is probably more realistic if you want to know who did what, not just that somebody did something. Being in a rural area, myself, I can say that "inexpensive" (PC for cheap) cameras won't help you much, especially at night. Plan on around $130 per camera, minimum, if you want decent night coverage. Look at Dahua "Star Light" or Hikvision "Dark Fighter" cameras.

I've never used an NVR, just Blue Iris. That gives me the ability to have real motion detection versus the basic motion detection that NVRs seem to offer. It also allows viewing through any platform that has internet capabilities, phones, tablets, computers, and can be easily secured to prevent, or make difficult, unauthorized access. A used PC, PoE switch and Blue Iris software are only a little more expensive than a decent NVR.

Have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page, and read the Cliff Notes in there. Tons of great information that will help you decide the best approach for you. Ask questions here and, most importantly, heed the advice those questions garner before you spend any money on gear. Most of us have been there and done that. Buying, and installing, something that won't work or half works is more expensive in the end than doing it right the first time.

I am not affiliated with Blue Iris, just have used it for about five years and am very satisfied with how well it works, the support and constant updates it provides.

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Four cameras to cover all outside areas probably won't be enough, eight is probably more realistic if you want to know who did what, not just that somebody did something. Being in a rural area, myself, I can say that "inexpensive" (PC for cheap) cameras won't help you much, especially at night. Plan on around $130 per camera, minimum, if you want decent night coverage. Look at Dahua "Star Light" or Hikvision "Dark Fighter" cameras.

I've never used an NVR, just Blue Iris. That gives me the ability to have real motion detection versus the basic motion detection that NVRs seem to offer. It also allows viewing through any platform that has internet capabilities, phones, tablets, computers, and can be easily secured to prevent, or make difficult, unauthorized access. A used PC, PoE switch and Blue Iris software are only a little more expensive than a decent NVR.

Have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page, and read the Cliff Notes in there. Tons of great information that will help you decide the best approach for you. Ask questions here and, most importantly, heed the advice those questions garner before you spend any money on gear. Most of us have been there and done that. Buying, and installing, something that won't work or half works is more expensive in the end than doing it right the first time.

I am not affiliated with Blue Iris, just have used it for about five years and am very satisfied with how well it works, the support and constant updates it provides.
Thank you for the information to read. Any suggestions on a Dahua Starlight model for outdoors around the home?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5231R-ZE is a good choice. 12mm varifocal so it can be adjusted to suit at the time of installation, has multiple video streams and has audio, built-in mic, capabilities. The 2231R-Z is less expensive but is, basically, the same camera minus the audio and multiple video streams. The 5231 is about $180 and the 2231 is about $130. Contact Andy at Empire Tech, has both an Amazon store and an Alibaba store, or directly through IPCT.

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you awsum140. Does the 5231R-ZE provide color video at night? Also, I see he Andy sells through multiple venues, is one preferred over any other? It looks like most order through Alibaba store?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Color video at night, with any "normal" camera will depend entirely on the amount of ambient light. There's no way to know until you try it out. Generally speaking, street lights an provide enough light to be able to maintain a color image, but even then sometimes a B&W image is better for identification purposes.

I've bought all my Dahua cameras from Andy by sending him an email. Shipping time to the East Coast has been, typically, five days which is pretty decent (DHL). You can certainly buy from him through Amazon or Alibaba but make sure you're ordering from Empire Technology. Keep in mind it's Chinese New Year so he's off until the 12th, I think.

I'd say order one camera and a 200 foot, pre-made, ethernet cable. Get an eight foot 2x4, a five gallon bucket and enough rocks, stones or gravel to fill it. Use that for a temporary mount and test out the areas you're planning on placing your cameras in. An easy way to test things out.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention...Don't get involved with chasing megapixels. At the curent technology level a 2MP camera like the 5231 will provide a far better picture in low light conditions than 4MP or above. It becomes a function of how much light hits each pixel of the camera sensor. More pixels reduces the light each pixel can see.

Last edited: