Ip camera going offline

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That could be the cause as it could be a loop. Unsure if his switches have STP built in.
IEEE NETWORK PROTOCOLS
IEEE 802.3 Ethernet IEEE 802.3u 100BASE-T • IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Tagging • IEEE 802.3ab 1000BASE-T• IEEE 802.3af PoE • IEEE 802.3at PoE+ • IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) • IEEE 802.3ad Trunking (LACP)• I E E E 8 0 2 . 3 z G i g a b i t E t h e r n e t 1 0 0 0 B A S E - S X / L X• IEEE 802.3x Full-Duplex Flow Control • IEEE 802.1AB LLDP with ANSI/TIA-1057 (LLDP-MED) • IEEE 802.1p Class of Service• IEEE 802.1D Spanning Tree (STP)• IEEE 802.1s Multiple Spanning Tree (MSTP) • IEEE 802.1w Rapid Spanning Tree (RSTP)• IEEE 802.1x RADIUS Network Access Control

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The two connection are on the same subnet connected to the same switch.

Tinbum. Not anywhere near your configuration.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The two connection are on the same subnet connected to the same switch.

Tinbum. Not anywhere near your configuration.
Yes, it's the router that does the wan connections to the individual LAN.

So 192.168.3.10 connects to the wan 1
and 192.168.3.11 connects to wan 2

it's NOT

192.168.3.11 connects to WAN1
192.168.4.11 connects to WAN2

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it's the router that does the wan connections to the individual LAN.

So 192.168.3.10 connects to the wan 1
and 192.168.3.11 connects to wan 2

it's NOT

192.168.3.11 connects to WAN1
192.168.4.11 connects to WAN2
So - just to confirm. Everything is on one flat network (192.168.3.x) and the TP-Link router handles the best route out to the Internet via load balancing. Is that correct?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So - just to confirm. Everything is on one flat network (192.168.3.x) and the TP-Link router handles the best route out to the Internet via load balancing. Is that correct?
Yes correct but you can specify what WAN to use, which is what i do..

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes correct but you can specify what WAN to use which is what i do..
OK - same question as @SouthernYankee then - why the 2 connections on your BI machine to the switch if they are all on the same subnet? Not saying the 2nd connection is problematic, just that as a part of troubleshooting here, we pull that 2nd NIC. It really serves no purpose having 2 NICs plugged into the same network segment if you are not doing link aggregation and in your case, that's not required either.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The reason for having it is that the wired WAN is max 3mb/s but is a static IP and is OK for the BI and stable.
If I am doing something else on the computer eg downloads, then the second WAN is available which can be up to 25mb/s but also our 4g/3g is not always that good.

I can try pulling the second connection though and see if that makes any difference.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
The reason for having it is that the wired WAN is max 3mb/s but is a static IP and is OK for the BI and stable.
If I am doing something else on the computer eg downloads, then the second WAN is available which can be up to 25mb/s but also our 4g/3g is not always that good.

I can try pulling the second connection though and see if that makes any difference.
Before you unplug, can you send me a snapshot of the this command run from the command line prompt: ipconfig /all

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had already pulled it, but plugged it back in and here it is.

Attachments

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
OK - reviewed that file. One question then - since both of your PC NICs are on 192.168.3.x - how does the router determine which NIC is set to use the 5G? Is it locked into that "Aquantia 5G Ethernet connection" connection somehow? You mentioned earlier that the other NIC is locked into that slower 3MB connection. If we pull that second NIC, is there any other way to handle the load balancing in such a way that you "prefer" the faster connection? I still think from a BI perspective, it's not potentially hurting anything to have 2 NICs plugged into the same VLAN, I just think that you shouldn't need to have both plugged into to have the router "prefer" on WAN connection over the other.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
So you have 3.11 prioritized via router policy to use the faster connection? That's great, what's the other NIC for?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
3.11 is the slower wired wan stable (WAN1) BI connection and the 3.10 is the faster 3g/4g connection (WAN2).

The 2 NIC's are both 1Gb/s connections. One is capable of 5gb/s (Aquantia 5G Ethernet connection) but the switches are only 1gb/s

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
3.11 is the slower wired wan stable (WAN1) BI connection and the 3.10 is the faster 3g/4g connection (WAN2).

The 2 NIC's are both 1Gb/s connections. One is capable of 5gb/s (Aquantia 5G Ethernet connection) but the switches are only 1gb/s
Understood - my question here is really geared at understanding what you are trying to accomplish with your setup. You should be able to configure the policy so that you can "prefer" the faster Internet connection which is what I think you are trying to do. You won't need two NICs plugged in to do that as the router should always prefer the faster connection but in the event that the faster connection goes down, it should load balance you over to the other Internet connection. Am I understanding that correctly?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Understood - my question here is really geared at understanding what you are trying to accomplish with your setup. You should be able to configure the policy so that you can "prefer" the faster Internet connection which is what I think you are trying to do. You won't need two NICs plugged in to do that as the router should always prefer the faster connection but in the event that the faster connection goes down, it should load balance you over to the other Internet connection. Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes i see what you mean.I'm not sure how BI would cope though if its WAN ip can change from one second to the next depending on how the router is load balancing.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This only comes into play when you are away from home and trying to view your cameras from outside your home lan.
If you are using port forwarding to connect to BI from the wan, stop.
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
That's the main time when I want to view the cameras.

I do use port forwarding to the BI server, which I know is not recommended. (All my cameras have no access to or from the WAN).

I have looked at openVPN and have even asked TP-link if they can install it on their router in the next firmware upgrade as the VPN options it has already are also not recommended. I'm looking for a router, not PC based VPN. You dont know of another load balancing router that has openvpn do you?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns - he's using it to load balance 2 slower internet connections. I know it's kind of off topic as to why the cameras are going offline but I was trying to figure if he can still take advantage of the load balancing between the 2 separate Internet connections and simplify the BI machine by going down to 1 NIC. That's what I'm really driving towards.

@Tinbum - agree 100% with @looney2ns on the VPN being the way to go for you rather than open ports. BI shouldn't care about the WAN setting, you can have that refresh on a periodic interval anyway. If the cameras are consistently dropping throughout the day, let's try pulling that 2nd NIC and running it like that for a day and see if it has an effect. You should at the same time, be able to adjust the policy in the router to route the traffic outbound thru the faster Internet connect as well. If you stick with the port forwarding, you can manually adjust those policies based on what port BI is listening to, all the while running on one NIC. I hope this makes sense.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@looney2ns - he's using it to load balance 2 slower internet connections. I know it's kind of off topic as to why the cameras are going offline but I was trying to figure if he can still take advantage of the load balancing between the 2 separate Internet connections and simplify the BI machine by going down to 1 NIC. That's what I'm really driving towards.

@Tinbum - agree 100% with @looney2ns on the VPN being the way to go for you rather than open ports. BI shouldn't care about the WAN setting, you can have that refresh on a periodic interval anyway. If the cameras are consistently dropping throughout the day, let's try pulling that 2nd NIC and running it like that for a day and see if it has an effect. You should at the same time, be able to adjust the policy in the router to route the traffic outbound thru the faster Internet connect as well. If you stick with the port forwarding, you can manually adjust those policies based on what port BI is listening to, all the while running on one NIC. I hope this makes sense.

Yes makes perfect sense, thank you.

I rolled back to BI 5.0.5.8 yesterday and the .16x and .143 have not dropped out since. The .15x are still doing it but as they reconnect it's not too much of a problem. (I'm trying to make a timeline of when the .16x and .143 cameras started/stopped doing this to see if it is related to BI updates as it has been intermittent).

I don't want to change too much in one go as then I wouldn't know what the problem was, but I have pulled the second NIC cable.