Mounting a bullet camera to the right of an outside LED light (how to power it)

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an LED light on the stucco wall on left side of my front door. It is hardwired (no bulb connection). I bought a wireless bullet camera (12 V) that I'd like to install pointing to the right (at the walk up to the front door) but I'm struggling with how to get power to the thing? The camera came with a 120 V to 12 V power adapter but short of connecting up a standard 120 V outlet to the wires behind the LED light, plugging in the 12 V adapter and shoving everything into the wall...I'm a little stumped. So again, I'm trying to tap into the 120 V powering the LED outdoor light but not sure how to do it? Assuming I connect up the power then I'll need to decide whether to have the power cable running along the wall to the camera (probably get vetoed by the wife) or punch holes in the stucco and trying fishing the cord.

Maybe an injector that doesn't rely upon a power block...have to see if that exists.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you post a photo of the light fixture that you're trying to tap power from?

I think your only "easy" and safe option is to mount a receptacle above or beside the light to plug the power brick into... but if you tap off of the light for power, does the light always have power?

I can help more with a photo though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Kevin_Essiambre thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. The light is switchable from inside the house. Normally it is left on 24/7 as the LED light has a daylight sensor. I installed the light 4 years ago so I don't recall if all three wires; black, white, red (switchable) were present outside or not. Point being that if all three are present then I could use the black/white - an unknown until I take down the light and peek at the wires or pull back out my book on electrical wiring.

Attachments

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Kevin_Essiambre thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. The light is switchable from inside the house. Normally it is left on 24/7 as the LED light has a daylight sensor. I installed the light 4 years ago so I don't recall if all three wires; black, white, red (switchable) were present outside or not. Point being that if all three are present then I could use the black/white - an unknown until I take down the light and peek at the wires or pull back out my book on electrical wiring.
There isn't a nice way to add a receptacle for the power brick above that.

I would suggest either a real PoE cam, or run an outdoor rated low voltage wire to somewhere that you can plug the power brick in. Low voltage landscape light wire is perfect for this. It's UV rated. Then put barrel connectors on the end.

I would strongly suggest a real PoE camera if you're going to run a wire though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk