Need a better camera after hit and run

Valle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have Wyze cameras all around my house, but they're incapable of reading license plates as I found out the hard way Thursday night. I've attached the video in which they back into my Prius and then drive off. I was able to track them down using other means, but in the future I would like to be able to read the license plate from the footage. I don't necessarily need to have a database of stored license plates, but if that doesn't increase the cost of the camera significantly, I'm not opposed to it.

I would mount the camera at a height from the street of about 10 feet and the line of sight in which cars would be visible on the cul-de-sac is 12-65 feet horizontally. There is a street light at the end of the cul-de-sac, so it's never completely dark at night. I can run power/ethernet cables through my attic and I also have a strong wi-fi signal where the camera will go. I'm in the Bay Area of California, so we get rain, but no snow or extreme heat. The place where the camera will go is partially covered by the eave, but wind-blown rain will still reach it.

I'm looking for the cheapest camera that will work in this situation, ideally under $500. I've been looking around at cameras for a few hours and it's a little overwhelming. Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't use wifi for cameras that you need to be reliable.

The HWF5241E-Z12E is your huckleberry. Contact EmpireTechAndy (he has a subforum on the main page) to order. He is out of stock on Amazon right now but can still get them for you (and at a cheaper price) if you contact him directly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, wifi will not cut it, nor will a Wyze or any other camera you can buy at a big box store - it is all about shutter speed and the ability to manually adjust parameters and the camera adhere to those settings. Most of the consumer big box store cams will override someone's settings in favor of a nice bright static image. You need to capture a clean image with motion. You have to run power anyway, so POE it.

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1641744711619.png

The 5241E-12E is the typical workhorse most here go with. About $250

Reaction score
Welcome to IPCAMTALK!

As others have said, the Dahua HWF5241E-Z12E is the best cost-effective cam for your use. See the linked threads below for info on LPR. Email Andy for that cam shipped directly from Hong Kong. Tell him you are an IPCAMTALK member for a small discount. kingsecurity2014@163.com

Valle

n3wb
Reaction score
Coincidentally I'm in the middle of rewiring my attic, so it would be convenient to run an ethernet cable now before I get the camera. Once I put the plywood floor back down, it will be very difficult to access the cable. Is there anything in particular that I need in a cable? Is this one ok? Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Coincidentally I'm in the middle of rewiring my attic, so it would be convenient to run an ethernet cable now before I get the camera. Once I put the plywood floor back down, it will be very difficult to access the cable. Is there anything in particular that I need in a cable? Is this one ok? Amazon.com
Nope, that is a bad choice.
Do not use FLAT eithernet cables ever. They do not meet the requirements of anything properly. They are not rated for attic or inwall use.
Only use Solid Copper cable and not CCA=Copper Clad Aluminum, of either 23AWG or 24AWG wire guage.
Don't purchase pre-terminated cables.
Purchase from here and support the site: Tools, Installation & Accessories - IP Cam Talk Store

Or from www.monoprice.com or www.showmecables.com.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Valle

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, that is a bad choice.
Do not use FLAT eithernet cables ever. They do not meet the requirements of anything properly. They are not rated for attic or inwall use.
Only use Solid Copper cable and not CCA=Copper Clad Aluminum, of either 23AWG or 24AWG wire guage.
Don't purchase pre-terminated cables.
Purchase from here and support the site: Tools, Installation & Accessories - IP Cam Talk Store

Or from www.monoprice.com or www.showmecables.com.
Is the Cat5e 1000' spool acceptable or do I need the more expensive Cat6?

Valle

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, my plan is to get the HWF5241E-Z12E and the following items. I will put the NVR next to my computer and run at least two cables through the attic to where the camera will go. I couldn't find information about how the NVR connects to my computer. Is it just like plugging in an external hard drive or is there some sort of software interface?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Those RJ connectors are for stranded cable. They can be used with solid, but I would recommend getting RJ connectors for solid wire. You may also want to consider "pass through" style connectors if you've never terminated RJ connectors previously.

The NVR has inputs for the camera and a LAN connection so a patch cable can be used to put it onto the local LAN, either connected to a network switch or directly to the router.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have Wyze cameras all around my house, but they're incapable of reading license plates as I found out the hard way Thursday night. I've attached the video in which they back into my Prius and then drive off. I was able to track them down using other means, but in the future I would like to be able to read the license plate from the footage. I don't necessarily need to have a database of stored license plates, but if that doesn't increase the cost of the camera significantly, I'm not opposed to it.

I would mount the camera at a height from the street of about 10 feet and the line of sight in which cars would be visible on the cul-de-sac is 12-65 feet horizontally. There is a street light at the end of the cul-de-sac, so it's never completely dark at night. I can run power/ethernet cables through my attic and I also have a strong wi-fi signal where the camera will go. I'm in the Bay Area of California, so we get rain, but no snow or extreme heat. The place where the camera will go is partially covered by the eave, but wind-blown rain will still reach it.

I'm looking for the cheapest camera that will work in this situation, ideally under $500. I've been looking around at cameras for a few hours and it's a little overwhelming. Thank you in advance for your help.
Welcome @Valle

I also recommend checking out the DORI section of the cliff notes, I have recently updated that section and it can be useful to help people determine what cameras may theoretically work for many Identification purposes.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I couldn't play the video, does he have long shot? could he get away with a 5442 6mm? I have both. one is 154$ and the Z12 IS 249$
ok watched it.....to get the rear plate on the white car as it leaves the cul-de-sac, i'd say the z12 model is your animal.Cam13.20220202_155609_5914871.jpgCam14.20220202_155609_259495200.jpgScreenshot 2021-09-17 110332.pngScreenshot 2021-09-17 110011.png

Last edited:

Valle

n3wb
Reaction score
Those RJ connectors are for stranded cable. They can be used with solid, but I would recommend getting RJ connectors for solid wire. You may also want to consider "pass through" style connectors if you've never terminated RJ connectors previously.

The NVR has inputs for the camera and a LAN connection so a patch cable can be used to put it onto the local LAN, either connected to a network switch or directly to the router.
Thank you, I will get these connectors instead: RJ45 CAT5e Pass Through Crimp Connectors - 100 Count - IP Cam Talk Store

I couldn't play the video, does he have long shot? could he get away with a 5442 6mm? I have both. one is 154$ and the Z12 IS 249$
ok watched it.....to get the rear plate on the white car as it leaves the cul-de-sac, i'd say the z12 model is your animal.
Thanks, I'm all set on the Z12.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another dodge is to insert the wire, keep it well seated with one hand, trim the wires with a good pair of flush cutters then crimp. Problem is if you move the cable, even slightly, the seating may not hold true and you end up with a bad crimp. My trick with dead front connectors is to always trim the ends square and use flush cutters. Lots less distortion to the individual wires makes for easy insertion.

Last edited: