Need a little integration advice to monitor an area

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I received my very first IPC-HDW5442T-ZE-S3 (IPC-T54IR-ZE S3) camera from Andy @Empiretech today. I'm very happy with this camera, it seems to be really excellent! :thumb:

However, I have a quick question for those who have some perspective as to where to mount the camera (I have space under the roof at the level of the arrows but I would prefer to make only one hole ;))

The area to monitor is 9x20 feet and I would like to monitor both doors 1 and 2.

Would you advise me to mount the camera at the location of the green, orange or red arrow?

Thank you very much for your help.
Kind regards from France.
Fred

1715971685685.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mounting a camera higher than 8ft, will result in getting a lot of tops of heads.
You want to get faces.
Best option is to mount it 7ft or lower.
See this: Cliff Notes
That said, yes in the corner with the green arrow is the only way you will be able to monitor both doors.
Always use a temporary test rig to test any proposed install location for a min of 24hrs before permanent mounting.
Test rig: 8ft 2x4, 5 gal bucket, and rocks or sand for ballast in the bucket.

Damon

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you want to monitor the door or who is standing in front of the doors ;)? i would choose the red arrow. You capture people while walking to and entering the door.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^that green arrow would be the last place I’d put just 1. Unless you’re going to cut down all that pretty green shit!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with what Looney suggested. Set up a test rig that you can move around. Looks like daytime shadows may be a nightmare in the suggested placements.
100% set up a test rig before drilling any holes ...

Test at various times of the day and night to see the results .. sunlight and shadows do make a difference

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Test different locations.

The best location may be the red arrow, but down the wall around the top of the doorways. You could run a conduit up to the soffit. This has the advantage of better coverage of the gate even if it could be a little harder to see packages on the ground. You may have to rotate the camera 90 degrees (portrait) if you want to see packages on the ground.

If you're determined to mount it to the soffit, I'd probably still choose the red arrow. However, mounted to the soffit, the green one has more potential, but IR reelections off the plants and plant growth could be a problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for being kind enough to answer me.

@looney2ns : you're right: If I fix the camera at the location of the arrows, the height is 8.76 feet ... I don't really know how I can lower the camera because otherwise I have to drill into the wall which is 2.6246719 Feet thick (!) :banghead:

I won't be able to get a height of 7 feet with a PFA 130 added to the camera :thumbdown: in such a case, how do the others do it?

@bigredfish: many thanks , your point of view is direct and appreciated ;)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't really know how I can lower the camera because otherwise I have to drill into the wall which is 2.6246719 Feet thick (!) :banghead:
Just mount the camera to a junction box, and run a conduit up the wall to the soffit. Paint to match wall. If you needed to drill a hole, you just need an SDS+ hammer drill.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you try the camera in both spots and aren’t happy, think about using it somewhere else and putting a wide angle camera on the corner between the doors. Dahua 4k-t color, or IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 boobie cam, perhaps. The 4k-t color would be my first choice.

Reaction score
@TonyR : here is a more precise photo: there is no doorbell button: It is only a small "plate" which indicates that the house has an alarm. :)
But this door is open during the day (it is evening here in France so the door is closed ;) )

IMG_2943.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just mount the camera to a junction box, and run a conduit up the wall to the soffit. Paint to match wall. If you needed to drill a hole, you just need an SDS+ hammer drill.
This is what I would do to bring the camera to a better position down from the soffit .. should work well for you here.