Need Help With Camera Choices Please

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Overkill? It probably is, but I like to see as much as possible. I'm wondering if my planned choices for cameras will do the job so I'm looking for opinions/perspectives.

Cams.PNG

For the red arrays I plan to use the varifocal IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP WDR Eyeball Cameras. The yellow, the IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 2MP Dual Starlight Cameras (2.8mm at the front door (approach and pkgs) and 3.6mm for all others: inside of the garage (coverage for two garage doors plus an entrance into the house and a door to the side yard), back porch to watch back door and part of yard, east eaves looking down at window wells and approaches to the yard). Window well coverage will not be optimal because of height and angle of view, but interior cameras will have that covered.

I'd love to be able to help out a neighbor if they come to me with an issue that occurred overnight, but I'm not sure I'd be much help with this setup.

I'm hoping for a low profile with mounting these cameras on the eaves; there is a lip on the eave that hangs down so I may have to use a junction box in a couple of places.

I thought about including IPC-HFW8232E-Z Varifocal Bullet that Nayr reviewed last year on the front two corners of the house, but they're so darn big--It's not a HOA thing (we don't have one)--just so big when I'm trying to keep a low profile.

Thanks and would appreciate all your thoughts, hypothesis, questions about my camera choices, coverage. I plan to order from Andy on Monday or whenever he has stock.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally, I'd lay them out so the views are overlapping. You can always set up a temporary mount, five gallon bucket full of sand/gravel, a 2x4 and a camera and spot it at each location to get an excellent idea what the view will actually be, day and night.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the camera calculator at ipvm.
Search here for link.
It uses google maps, and you overlay the cam onto your house. It shows how much detail the cam picks up at every distance, and the FOV for the lens size you pick.

I second looney2ns - the cliff notes are awesome!

Good luck!
Fastb

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks to all...just finished the cliff notes and have been playing with the ipvm calculator all day :D
Awesome tool!
I'm now thinking IPC-HFW8232E-Z on the front outer corners of the house, then the popular 5231R-ZE varifocal everywhere else except doorbell, garage and back porch. Nayr's review of that large bullet took me over the edge. I wish the 5231R-ZE had SSA and a P iris. Oh well.