New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doorbell went offline in BI again this morning at 6:30AM. I am doing a factory reset this time (like recommended by Reolink) to see if these random drop-outs of the RTSP feed keep happening.

Once again, the app and directly logging into the camera showed it was still online fine, but the RTSP feed to BI had completely crashed.
Did you check Auto Reboot?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to do it without internet access. My PC has a physical network device connected to the internet and another separate physical nic#2 connected to the POE switch so perhaps that's causing issues with the Reolink client only looking down NIC #1 and not finding it? I tried connecting directly to the computer but it did not power on as my computer does not send any power over ethernet. Unfortunately my only POE device is that one switch it was already connected to. If I knew the voltage/amp expectations I bet I could find an adapter I have on hand and splice it in, but it says AC 12-24v and DC 48v so I'm not sure which way to go and am not comfortable just throwing power at it (unless someone tells me to :) ). It sounds like David did a direct connect, so perhaps through the switch is causing my issues and I need to direct connect it? It definitely is powering on as I can ring the chime from the device and the ring lights up and now that it's night, the ring and the IR lights are on. So it's properly detecting day/night within the device itself, I just can't find it anywhere on my network.
Here is the Power Brick that came with my WiFi version

1681215670092.png

So 24V at .05A

I connected my 16V 10A old transformer to the DB and it worked too...FYI

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This assumes he has received an IP address from a DHCP server. He mentioned it’s segregated from the internet. He may not be able to connect to it via UID without an internet connection.
Hey I want to correct my statement. I went back and checked this whole Thread since I remember when I first got my POE DB I struggled trying to connect it too via their Windows Client. I was hoping to find a default IP. Unfortunately at the time I could not focus fully on the task without interruptions/lack of time but I was determined to not connect the DB to my network or the Internet. Wow, now I remember, we also lost our dog that week:

This is what got me trying to find the Default IP:

Anyway, I finally gave in and connected it to my switch's CameraVLAN and temporarily turned on DHCP so I could get an IP then reassigned a Static IP via the Windows Client:

I apparently did the same when I got my WiFi version too:

I do remember resetting up the POE DB later, I did a reset on the DB and used the Windows Client to find the DB via UID, this I remember. What I don't remember is if I checked to see if it retained the Static IP after the reset and before running the Client. I do know for a fact I used UID to find it the second Setup, this is why I posted what I did.
It was at the time I reset the POE DB:

@kelhus
What I will do is do another reset on the POE DB, since I am still only bench testing it. I will see if I can set it up with UID and Without getting an IP first from a DHCP Server.

@XDRDX
My apologies, what gets me is I even thought I posted about my find in connecting via the UID the second round but could not find the post. I will know in the next day or so...

FYI, this still does not change the fact that you need to use their App or connect to ReoLink via the Internet to setup this DB.

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Honestly, just connect it to the internet and use the smartphone app for setup. Then you can move it over to your restricted VLAN to keep it from phoning home. The initial call will give China some details, sure, but are you a valuable target for them? The phone app has minimal permissions (and will still work [limited] if you deny them all, unlike many apps) and does not require you create a Reolink account or give any personal details.

I do IT security professionally so I completely understand your concern! The only way I allow IoT devices at home is if I can isolate and contain them, so similar to David I use a local server for HomeAssistant, BI, and pfSense VPN for remote access. By the way, may I recommend taking a look at Wireguard? I've found it much more straightforward and quick than OpenVPN.

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it says AC 12-24v and DC 48v so I'm not sure which way to go and am not comfortable just throwing power at it (unless someone tells me to :) ).
You can safely provide the AC voltage listed to the two screw terminals on the back-- it's a huge range because the transformers that power your traditional doorbells vary wildly in quality and output. The 48V DC likely refers to the PoE standard 802.1af, which is provided over the RJ45 connector.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So a hard reset does Not wipe the Static IP on the POE DB. It did ask to set a password for the DB like it did on Initial Setup.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, just connect it to the internet and use the smartphone app for setup. Then you can move it over to your restricted VLAN to keep it from phoning home. The initial call will give China some details, sure, but are you a valuable target for them? The phone app has minimal permissions (and will still work [limited] if you deny them all, unlike many apps) and does not require you create a Reolink account or give any personal details.

I do IT security professionally so I completely understand your concern! The only way I allow IoT devices at home is if I can isolate and contain them, so similar to David I use a local server for HomeAssistant, BI, and pfSense VPN for remote access. By the way, may I recommend taking a look at Wireguard? I've found it much more straightforward and quick than OpenVPN.
A separate network not connected to the Internet, that works fine on Initial Setup, no App needed. What we found on our Hikvision DB1, is traffic that was going back to China was mainly push notifications.

This is from the Doorbell's Diag. Log:
1681229373287.png
The Google IP changes where as the ReoLink does not and can be blocked.

What I would like to find out is ReoLink has a page that claims All CAMs come with a default IP assigned at the factory.

Yeah I have used Wireguard, may go back to it and try it with my present Video Feed, though OpenVPN seems fast enough for what I am doing plus there is that privacy thing, LOL, but the WG User IPs will be kept on my own Router/Server so no big deal to me.

kelhus

n3wb
Reaction score
David, thanks for posting your follow up! My experience mirrored yours, I could not get it to find the camera without a router assigning an IP first. Then once IP was assigned in the network, I could detect it in the app and setup a new static IP for the other LAN. I'm hooked up and on BI and working flawlessly off-internet now!

I did discover one other head scratcher; While setting up the doorbell on network (with internet) I decided to get the chime hooked up through the app. When I rang the doorbell, chime went off as I figured. My assumption was the chime connected through my network wifi and once I dropped the doorbell off my network, I'd lose that connection. The reality was no. Even with the camera powered and no network connection, when I rang the doorbell, the chime went off. Are they connected over bluetooth or another independent method directly? That's wild.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
David, thanks for posting your follow up! My experience mirrored yours, I could not get it to find the camera without a router assigning an IP first. Then once IP was assigned in the network, I could detect it in the app and setup a new static IP for the other LAN. I'm hooked up and on BI and working flawlessly off-internet now!

I did discover one other head scratcher; While setting up the doorbell on network (with internet) I decided to get the chime hooked up through the app. When I rang the doorbell, chime went off as I figured. My assumption was the chime connected through my network wifi and once I dropped the doorbell off my network, I'd lose that connection. The reality was no. Even with the camera powered and no network connection, when I rang the doorbell, the chime went off. Are they connected over bluetooth or another independent method directly? That's wild.
I have my POE on a test bench connected to my laptop. Now I know that when my POE found the UID a few months back after a Reset, it was because the DB kept the Static IP settings after the Reset. So back to square one. I continue my testing next week, Really want to find a default IP :)

Yeah from what I have found out and even some posted here, the Chime is on a 433.92MHz Frequency and talks to the Doorbell via RF.

1681387676123.png

cc4005

n3wb
Reaction score
My assumption was the chime connected through my network wifi and once I dropped the doorbell off my network, I'd lose that connection. The reality was no. Even with the camera powered and no network connection, when I rang the doorbell, the chime went off. Are they connected over bluetooth or another independent method directly?
The DB triggers the chime by RF signal.

I just installed a POE version yesterday. Appreciate all the informative discussion in this thread.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To anyone thinking about buying one of these... I just noticed the REOLINK PoE IP Video Doorbell Camera with Chime is listed on Amazon today as one of their Lighting Deals for 15% off
As of this posting the 15% off Lightening Deal ends in 3 hours 47 minutes. Hoping a few of you still on the fence can take advantage of it :confused:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To anyone thinking about buying one of these... I just noticed the REOLINK PoE IP Video Doorbell Camera with Chime is listed on Amazon today as one of their Lighting Deals for 15% off
As of this posting the 15% off Lightening Deal ends in 3 hours 47 minutes. Hoping a few of you still on the fence can take advantage of it :confused:
Yeah I noticed that :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I were to PM you with a small list of info, could you put/edit it on Post #1 of this Thread? It helps those not have to go through 26 pages of post. It won't be until next week since I will be out of town this weekend.

Our Doorbell 101 got crazy big with all the info we collected in 3 years, of course we had many different firmwares and Apps/versions to try to keep up with.
@silencery did a very good review of the EZVIZ DB1C

From what I have seen ReoLink is pretty good in Online URL Support so most people can get the basics from them.

Thanks,
David

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I were to PM you with a small list of info, could you put/edit it on Post #1 of this Thread? It helps those not have to go through 26 pages of post. It won't be until next week since I will be out of town this weekend.
Hey David.. I'm familiar with your excellent write-ups. Any steps, tips or tricks you've managed to coalesce from the first 26 pages of this forum thread (and/or via your own research) will help helpful to anyone trying to deciper all the information provided in this thread. Although I see you're currently running the WIFi version hopefully you'll also have some insight to share for those of us traversing the POE doorbell landscape. FYI: Take you time.I don't read this thread on a daily basis but check in from time to time so I'll be on the lookout .

Thanks
Elton

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey David.. I'm familiar with your excellent write-ups. Any steps, tips or tricks you've managed to coalesce from the first 26 pages of this forum thread (and/or via your own research) will help helpful to anyone trying to deciper all the information provided in this thread. Although I see you're currently running the WIFi version hopefully you'll also have some insight to share for those of us traversing the POE doorbell landscape. FYI: Take you time.I don't read this thread on a daily basis but check in from time to time so I'll be on the lookout .

Thanks
Elton
just set it and forget it.

easy install via poe.

works great.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just set it and forget it.

easy install via poe.

works great.
I wish that was the case. Plugged the Reolink POE it into my Lorex NVR and nothing, no image. It lights and chimes but can't get the camera to display an image (although have had no real time to troubleshoot). Hopefully will get a chance to trouble shoot later this week. FYI: Plain vanilla out of the box Lorex NVR... not a Blue Iris device. On the other hand I back when U connected a Yousee SD-M5 doorbell, via a Ubiquiti PoE Converter, I got an instant image. Status light on doorbell of little use. When first plugged in, the status light ring is White for 30 seconds, goes out then flashes white one time... after that about every two minutes or so it comes on Blue for about 3 seconds.

Last edited:

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wish that was the case. Plugged the Reolink POE it into my Lorex NVR and nothing, no image. It lights and chimes but can't get the camera to display an image (although have had no real time to troubleshoot). On the other hand I back when U connected a Yousee SD-M5 doorbell, via a Ubiquiti PoE Converter, I got an instant image. Hopefuly will get a chance to trouble shoot later this week.
I believe the RTSP port is different and you have to turn on ONVIF. If you change ports to match what is used by Lorex it might work.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just checked... ONVIF turned on and RTSP port set to Self-adaptation. No luck yet. FYI:Other POE cameras like the Vonnision 5MP POE IP Security Mini Hidden Camera (via Amazon) also worked right out of the box... plug and play.

Last edited:

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the after a while Blue Iris is not allowed (or loses) a connection to audio on these cams? Like maybe the cam audio goes to sleep? Video is fine.

I can usually solo the cam and hear audio, then I may go back and it's gone. Sometimes it's gone for recordings as well. If I mess around with either the phone app, or Blue Iris audio settings. like un-check/recheck "Enable Audio Channel" it seems to "wake up" and sound returns. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

I'll mention, for me, Blue Iris has sometimes lost audio to a camera I choose to solo, and then when I simply solo a different cam it returns and I just go back to the original cam and it's back. But, they never lose audio on recordings. So, pretty sure that hiccup seems to be something different.

Liking this unit. I just ordered a 2nd unit while on sale. Anyone notice if two cams can share both the remote doorbell chimes? Like both doorbells ring equally on each remote chime.