New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

CanadaBri

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am only going by what my Unifi controller is telling me (which could be wrong).

View attachment 161872

Wifi 5 is AC and Wifi 4 is N, right?
Well yes, and no... Wifi 5 is capable of supporting AC, provided that the hardware supports it, which is not so in this case (from what I can see)

Wifi 6 is capable of supporting AX, providing that the hardware connecting also supports AX (and I think I mistakenly described the whole hub vs switch thing... that is Wifi 6, provided that all devices support AX... you will get better performance ) This is where my wifi routers are at and there is very good performance all around. Still, most of my devices are only capable of AC or N. I have a few devices connecting via AX.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like if you and I met we could talk for days. LOL But I'll keep this short for the other readers.

100% agree on POE even without reading another thread. I just can't run a cable without major work. Long story short is I have brick exterior and no room around the door casing. Inside there are walls on either side of the door with similar issue. Would have to open walls and I'm not sure I'll be here that long so not going that route. Plus, every time I open a wall in this house I open a can of worms.

I currently have DB connected to the included power brick for all this testing. When I had connected using existing doorbell wires outside, I upgraded the transformer already for the Ring DB (which is what I want to replace).

Currently the DB is on the 5 Ghz band and channel 149. I did have it on the 2.4 when outside since 2.4 does better with the brick but still had issues (which is why I reverted to the Ring DB and moved this indoors to troubleshoot. I did do a channel optimization last week since I did see other devices (phones, tablets, etc) having issues but haven't seen that since. The AP has 3x3 MIMO which helps with the "sharing". There is only one old tablet that uses the only "n" standard and it is turned off when not in use and almost never used.

I did connect those 2 other cameras and only had 1 NoSignal between the 2 of them and one of them is on the other side of the house (many walls away). In that time the DB had 6 No Signals with all 3 devices connected to the same AP. That makes me lean towards the DB or DB Wif being the issue.

I'm going to connect the ethernet cable next and see how that goes. If that fails then I'll have to get a warranty replacement.

Not DB related...
I've recently thought about converting to Omada AP's since they offer MAC Authentication Bypass (so one SSID but multiple VLANs for the different IOT). I even bought the 610 for testing but that didn't work. When I contacted support they said the only AP that supports the MAB is the 660HD. They said the others will eventually get it but they don't have timeframes for the firmwares so had to return the AP. That's the luck I've been having lately. Hence "AlwaysSomething".
Is this what you are talking about?

1683229340856.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well yes, and no... Wifi 5 is capable of supporting AC, provided that the hardware supports it, which is not so in this case (from what I can see)

Wifi 6 is capable of supporting AX, providing that the hardware connecting also supports AX (and I think I mistakenly described the whole hub vs switch thing... that is Wifi 6, provided that all devices support AX... you will get better performance ) This is where my wifi routers are at and there is very good performance all around. Still, most of my devices are only capable of AC or N. I have a few devices connecting via AX.
Yeah that was the reason I bought this AP, WiFi 6, my wife's and my phone connects AX, oh and my new laptop, but that's it. I saw these being sold, did not know you can upgrade laptops WiFi

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CanadaBri

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not wanting to stray from the point of this thread... but knowing what the network will support will be helpful in settings to get the most out of your install, and setting expectations as to what you should see from your install.

and

AlwaysSomething

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So overnight had zero NoSignals using ethernet. BTW it's tight behind the DB with an ethernet cable not to mention the added power supply cables. I have the DB attached to some wood which would be similar to mounting it on a wall with a hole for the wires.

As far as network I understand where you coming from with most homes having consumer grade hardware. I have Unifi AC Pro AP's with Unifi GbE switches behind them. My average traffic on the LAN is 3 MB/s and topped out at 8 MB/s so far today. Network is overkill for the "average" day.

I have one other theory I'm going to test which is I think the DB is rebooting during those NoSignals. I put a camera pointing at the DB to see. LOL

Unfortunately I don't have much time today to work on this so hopefully the camera on DB catches something.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the lag only there when viewed through your NVR?

I had this problem with mine connected through my hikvision NVR it wasn't anything to do with the doorbell. I had to change the FPS and bitrate on the NVR itself and the lag went away.
Still no joy... :( Yes... the problem occurs when connected to my NVR. The lag does not present itself when connected to my network router via a POE injector. Once connected to the NVR the lag starts to accumulate over time. In the NVR settings I've changed the bitrate and FPS from ideal settings to minimal settings and everything in between but eventually display the lag comes back and builds up over a period of time regardless of settings. FYI: In all the experimenting I noticed when I leave the DB connected to the NVR network and change and of the DB the settings the lag immediately goes away on the live feed ... but it eventually comes back as time goes by.

The SD Card is not required. Only reason I mentioned it in case it was somehow putting a strain on the CPU of the DB. We had one guy in our DB1 Thread who used his SD Card to record 24/7 which he had a problem viewing too.
I agree with J273 if you have settings in you NVR I would match them with your DB.
Good to know... but I left a 256GB V30 installed just in case it was a issue of the DB buffering (not being able to push the data fast enough for the NVR) but it made no difference [sigh].

At this time, including the Reolink, I have 11 different operational cameras attached to my NVR... different makes, different resolutions, some H.264 some H.265 from 1080p to 4k. Only the Reolink DB is giving me the compounding lag problem. Lots of great ideas here still hoping theres something I missed. I'm toying with the idea of updating the firmware to see if it will offer any improvement? My DB is currently running v3.0.0.1459 dated 2022‑10‑28. Wondering if v3.0.0.1859 dated 2023‑03‑09 or v3.0.0.2017 dated 2023‑04‑12 will offer any improvement? I'm a little leery of trying either since Reolink pulled them down. Makes you wonder if the updates had problems. I certainly don't want to brick the device. The other thought... (maybe unrelated) as you may remember I had trouble getting the DB time date DST calendar synced via NPT so I disabled it and modified my time zone. As of today the time displayed on the DB camera is still in sync with the other NVR cameras (not losing or gaining time) but just trying to think of any variables that might be causing the issue.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still no joy... :( Yes... the problem occurs when connected to my NVR. The lag does not present itself when connected to my network router via a POE injector. Once connected to the NVR the lag starts to accumulate over time. In the NVR settings I've changed the bitrate and FPS from ideal settings to minimal settings and everything in between but eventually display the lag comes back and builds up over a period of time regardless of settings. FYI: In all the experimenting I noticed when I leave the DB connected to the NVR network and change and of the DB the settings the lag immediately goes away on the live feed ... but it eventually comes back as time goes by.

Good to know... but I left a 256GB V30 installed just in case it was a issue of the DB buffering (not being able to push the data fast enough for the NVR) but it made no difference [sigh].

At this time, including the Reolink, I have 11 different operational cameras attached to my NVR... different makes, different resolutions, some H.264 some H.265 from 1080p to 4k. Only the Reolink DB is giving me the compounding lag problem. Lots of great ideas here still hoping theres something I missed. I'm toying with the idea of updating the firmware to see if it will offer any improvement? My DB is currently running v3.0.0.1459 dated 2022‑10‑28. Wondering if v3.0.0.1859 dated 2023‑03‑09 or v3.0.0.2017 dated 2023‑04‑12 will offer any improvement? I'm a little leery of trying either since Reolink pulled them down. Makes you wonder if the updates had problems. I certainly don't want to brick the device. The other thought... (maybe unrelated) as you may remember I had trouble getting the DB time date DST calendar synced via NPT so I disabled it and modified my time zone. As of today the time displayed on the DB camera is still in sync with the other NVR cameras (not losing or gaining time) but just trying to think of any variables that might be causing the issue.
Wow you are right, they did remove the Doorbell firmwares:

1683305867492.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was not aware of this firmware v3.0.0.2017 dated 2023‑04‑12

I have two downloaded, they posted different firmwares for the POE and WiFi versions:

POE v3.0.0.1859_23030902 for Hardware DB_566128M5MP_P
1683306278733.png

WiFi v3.0.0.1859_23030900 for Hardware DB_566128M5MP_W
1683306337347.png

Attachments

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep... have those saved as well. If interested... here's the firmware v3.0.0.2017 dated 2023‑04‑12 (both POE and WiFi) although its still unclear why they pulled them down.
Thanks

AlwaysSomething

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So camera did reboot once that I was able to capture.

Here is some interesting items...
The NoSignal are generated almost exactly 20 minutes apart (+- a couple of seconds). Interesting.
During those NoSignals the Pings are timing out to the DB and the duration of timed out pings is usually 20-40 seconds. With the average being 30. Interesting again.

I had pings set up for my other Wifi devices that are always connected (for example no cell phones or tablets) and
1 device had 1 time out for duration of 5 seconds (time was different than the DB)
1 device had about 5 random time outs but again different times than the DB and each time out was only for 1 single ping (5 second duration not 20-40 seconds like the DB)
Other devices had no drops.

That leads me to believe those were legit drops probably due to interference.

The fact that the drops are almost every 20 minutes apart and disconnected for almost the same duration 20-40 seconds makes me think there is some kind of schedule for the Wifi.

I think I'm going to reach out to Reolink when I have a chance and give them the information I gathered and see what they say.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So camera did reboot once that I was able to capture.

Here is some interesting items...
The NoSignal are generated almost exactly 20 minutes apart (+- a couple of seconds). Interesting.
During those NoSignals the Pings are timing out to the DB and the duration of timed out pings is usually 20-40 seconds. With the average being 30. Interesting again.

I had pings set up for my other Wifi devices that are always connected (for example no cell phones or tablets) and
1 device had 1 time out for duration of 5 seconds (time was different than the DB)
1 device had about 5 random time outs but again different times than the DB and each time out was only for 1 single ping (5 second duration not 20-40 seconds like the DB)
Other devices had no drops.

That leads me to believe those were legit drops probably due to interference.

The fact that the drops are almost every 20 minutes apart and disconnected for almost the same duration 20-40 seconds makes me think there is some kind of schedule for the Wifi.

I think I'm going to reach out to Reolink when I have a chance and give them the information I gathered and see what they say.
This may not have anything to do with your issue since when you connected to ethernet NIC on the DB you did not have any issues so this should not apply since WiFi NIC is your focus but I found this from our DB1 Doorbell Thread. Check ICMP in your Router.

I remember people complaining about drop outs and that they were consistent. Well they found ICMP was blocked in their Router.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep... have those saved as well. If interested... here's the firmware v3.0.0.2017 dated 2023‑04‑12 (both POE and WiFi) although its still unclear why they pulled them down.
Hey forgot I have this older firmware too, it was one ReoLink Tech. Dept. was giving out to those who requested it. Only have the POE version.

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One more thing, if you don't mine posting any future firmwares you come across, I found from our old Thread it is good to keep a library of them to help others...Thanks...

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here to say after some time testing the new firmware out I have way less signal drops within BI.

I used to have about 20 a day now its a couple a week.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here to say after some time testing the new firmware out I have way less signal drops within BI.

I used to have about 20 a day now its a couple a week.
Which version did you upgrade to? Elton informed me there has been two official releases, yet they have been taken off their website.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Which version did you upgrade to? Elton informed me there has been two official releases, yet they have been taken off their website.
This is the last one I downloaded
DB_566128M5MP_W.1859_23030900.Reolink-Video-Doorbell-WiFi.OV05A10.5MP.WIFI8812.REOLINK.pak

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the last one I downloaded
DB_566128M5MP_W.1859_23030900.Reolink-Video-Doorbell-WiFi.OV05A10.5MP.WIFI8812.REOLINK.pak
Sorry if you already posted this. RTSP or RTMP?

I just put it in my Signature :)

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey forgot I have this older firmware too, it was one ReoLink Tech. Dept. was giving out to those who requested it. Only have the POE version.
Thanks David... I forgot about that one! As I recall V1572 was sent out by Reolink Support (when requested) and was to fix RTSP streams. As long as we're digging up firmware versions I figured Id try to net them all out here. If anyone knows of any versions or corrections I missed please let me know. FYI: There were two earlier versions that I know of (V1354 POE and WiFi) ... but neither were available for download they just came preinstalled.

Not 100% sure but it seems (if arranged numerically by version number... the versions to date have been as follows. V1354, V1459, V1572, V1859, V2017 and V2033 - For the actual downloaded firmware packages, refer to threads #608 and #609

V1354 (Firmware - earliest known versions - factory pre-installed)
WiFI v3.0.0.1354_22092302"
POE v3.0.0.1353_22092304".

V1459 - (v3.0.0.1459_22102808 )
Firmware version pre-installed on doorbells that began shipping Fall of 2022

V1572
1. Fix RTSP streams​
V1859 - (v3.0.0.1859 dated 2023‑03‑09) V1859 .jpg

V2017 - (v3.0.0.2017 dated 2023‑04‑12) V2017.jpg

V2033 - (v3.0.0.2033 dated 2023-05-07) v2033.jpg

CAUTION: UPGRADE FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK - UPGRADING FIRMWARE MAY RENDER YOUR DOORBELL UNUSABLE - PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks David... I forgot about that one! As I recall V1572 was sent out by Reolink Support (when requested) and was to fix RTSP streams. As long as we're digging up firmware versions I figured Id try to net them all out here. If anyone knows of any versions or corrections I missed please let me know. FYI: There were two earlier versions that I know of (V1354 POE and WiFi) ... but neither were available for download they just came preinstalled.

Not 100% sure but it seems (if arranged numerically by version number... the versions to date have been as follows. V1354, V1459, V1572, V1859, and V2017

V1354 (earliest known firmware factory pre-installed version
WiFI v3.0.0.1354_22092302"
POE v3.0.0.1353_22092304".

V1459 - (v3.0.0.1459_22102808 )
Firmware version installed on doorbells that began shipping Fall of 2022

V1572
1. Fix RTSP streams

V1859
  1. Release new smart home functions:
  2. Support preview, 2-way audio, notification, voice wake-up on Alexa (notification will be available after finishing Cloud update);
  3. Support preview, notification, and voice wake-up on Google Home (notification will be available after finishing Cloud update);
  4. Support GOP settings.
  5. Remove the original automatic frame drop, incorporate multi-level frame drop, and support frame rate control function
  6. Support adjustable range of CDS value
  7. Support working with IOT devices
  8. Add status light control button for doorbell camera (Available to the App version of 4.37 or later)
  9. Add ringing control switch for doorbell camera (Available to the App version of 4.37 or later)
V2017

Same nine bullet items listed above for V1859 but with bullet item #10 added
10. Fixed known bugs​

CAUTION: UPGRADE FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK - UPGRADING FIRMWARE MAY RENDER YOUR DOORBELL UNUSABLE - PROCEED WITH CAUTION
This would be a good Link on Page1/Post 1

Thanks