New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me.
After reading through the 101 and various posts I did the following and it recovered.
Turn off power and wait for the red LEDs to go out
disconnect power kit box and chime if connected
remove sd card and format to FAT32
copy the HIK firmware to the card as downloaded
copy the HIK firmware to the card renamed to digicap.dav (so you have 2 files on the card)
reinstall SD card
press and hold reset button
apply power
LEDs will flash once, do not release reset button
continue to hold the reset button until LEDs turn blue and doorbell announces reset successful
This is a combination of various suggestions on here so not sure if all are necessary as I was trying different things as I read them.
The above is the combination I had when it came back to life..
Well I'll be darned.... Sure enough, came back to life, blinking blue now. WIFI appears to be softap_C50447861 now though..... so where do I go from here?

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
I deleted doorbell from rca app and uninstalled, then installed hik connect app and set up as normal

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
Or you could probably just change the wifi using batch tool or ivms back to your network and it will just work with your existing app
you will need to initialise the SD card after you have it configured

Last edited:

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I have it up and running, and added to Blue Iris. Now interestingly enough.... Before I did the firmware update, I tested it with my Electronic Doorbell.... which it was working (with the power pack thingy installed on the chime). I noticed on the RCA app, it gave me a choice of if I had a chime attached (mechanical, electronic, etc.).

Now after I added it to the hikvision app, I don't see that option, and when you ring the doorbell, it doesn't ring the indoor chime. Do I need to remove the power pack? Do something else? I don't really see an option anywhere to now have it work with the chime.

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
You can reinstall the rca app now you have it set up and set the chime from there.
I prefer the rca app on my phone and the hik app on the iPad.

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can reinstall the rca app now you have it set up and set the chime from there.
I prefer the rca app on my phone and the hik app on the iPad.
awesome! Thank you for the help. Haven’t tested the chime again yet, but everything appears To be working! And the fix for the bricked doorbell earlier was spot on! Worked like a charm!

I’m debating setting up another one for the back door, but that will require some new wiring. The image quality seems much better than the ring. And no subscription thankfully

Reaction score
I was out all day and just saw the posts. Glad you were able to get it running again. As many on here say ... don't update firmware unless there is a need. Based on my limited experience and posts here, this doorbell seems finicky abut FW updates, especially when you are changing FW suppliers. The good news is this forum has a lot of experience helping others fix the unit when it gets hosed.

SteveZ

n3wb
Reaction score
... this doorbell seems finicky abut FW updates, especially when you are changing FW suppliers...
I completely agree with this.

Soon after I purchased an EZVIZ DB1, I switched to the Hikvision firmware for ONVIF and I've had a problem with the doorbell intermittently powering down and back up again of it's own accord. After some testing, including the much-advised upgrading of the transformer, I went back to the EZVIZ firmware and the problem was completely resolved.

The self powering down and back up again usually only took 20 seconds, so during daytime it was rare that I caught it doing this (effectively briefly offline), but during nighttime, my hall internal camera picked up the doorbell powering down and back up through a glass front door as an 'event' (the internal hall camera could see the door bell's PIR and LED go off and come back on). It was happening several times every night.

I should mention that when I replaced the EZVIZ firmware with Hikvision's firmware, it went perfectly without any problems. Before and after the Hikvision firmware installation I rebooted and reset the DB1. If it wasn't for the hall camera picking up the restarts every night, then I would have very rarely noticed the DB1 being offline during the daytime - i.e., only if I happened to be looking at the doorbell camera feed at that particular time.

A power down and back up again only took around 20 seconds; as a very rough estimate the DB1 probably did this maybe 20 times in 24 hours (based on nighttime), so perhaps it would only be offline for around 7 minutes in 24 hours. Not a lot, really, but it does prove that my DB1 was not happy with the Hikvision firmware - which is odd, if they're supposedly electronically identical doorbells.

Once the EZVIZ firmware solved the problem, I then replaced the 24 VAC 2 Amp transformer with my 12VAC 1 Amp transformer which works perfectly. Trying a more powerful transformer was really a 'last resort' before I reloaded the EZVIZ firmware.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was out all day and just saw the posts. Glad you were able to get it running again. As many on here say ... don't update firmware unless there is a need. Based on my limited experience and posts here, this doorbell seems finicky abut FW updates, especially when you are changing FW suppliers. The good news is this forum has a lot of experience helping others fix the unit when it gets hosed.
That is why we wrote a quick guide when someone switches to another vendor's firmware: check my signature. :)

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I updated the firmware because “there was a need.”The whole reason for the purchase was to add the device to my blue iris configuration and continuously store security footage. The default RCA firmware has this disabled, and I couldn’t add it... hence the reason I needed to change the firmware. I wasn’t messing around for the sake of messing around

Although I do enjoy a good Rant now and then... the need was justified.

cba123

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone else has issues with the doorbell disconnecting from wifi every few minutes?

I have the Nelly's version (NSC-DB2) and mine disconnects every approx 3 mins. It's takes about 20-30 secs to reconnect so I miss anything during this time.

Signal is good -52dBa and doesn't appear to be fluctuating
Batch config only shows an Exception error - Network Disconnection in the logs

Troubleshooting Steps
I replaced my 16V 20VA transformer with a 24V 40VA one
I have an Ubiquiti access point and have moved the doorbell from 2.4G to 5G
Moved the AP closer
Used an older Linksys router to see if there was an incompatibility with the Ubiquiti AP
I reset the doorbell multiple times including removing power for over an hour
I've tried every firmware listed in the 101

I previously had the Laview version of the doorbell listed in following thread. This doorbell never had any connectivity issues but I wanted a better picture without the IR washout. Additionally I was looking to use the PIR motion sensing in Blue Iris with ONVIF.
I think I found my issue. My firewall was blocking icmp and the doorbell pings its default gateway (I assume to see if the network is working). If it doesn't receive a reply within about 3 minutes it disconnects the wifi and reconnects. i enabled icmp echo on the firewall and the doorbell appears to be stable
For those recording to BI, how often does BI lose connection with the DB Cam.
According to my BI logs, my DB1 with Hikvision FW seems to consistently lose the connection every 3 minutes for a few seconds.
I never noticed this item in the 101 as the symptoms was not included with the tip in the 101. I was troubleshooting the exact same issue with my DB1 for the past month. While the DB1 never actually disconnected from the wifi, it would restart the RTSP stream every 3 minutes, which appears as a signal loss / disconnect in BI and when using VLC. As Alex pointed out recently to another user, there is semantics in the usage of the word as "disconnect" as it implies it disconnected from the network to him (while others simply indicated the symptom which was that BI/VLC stops receiving the stream and would try to reconnect to the camera after a few seconds implying it disconnected from the camera, not the network).

Switching my access point from EAP120 to a EAP245 and switching band from 2Ghz to 5Ghz didn't solve it. I already had my firewall (an EdgeRouter) open to allow the DB1 unrestricted access to the internet.

Yesterday, while troubleshooting an NTP issue between my newly install GS324T Managed Pro switch and my EdgeRouter, I enabled logging on the local interface firewall since the traffic between the switch and the router would never leave the VLAN to find the NTP packets, I found the DB1 ICMP packets getting sent to the local interface on its VLAN and were getting blocked as I only allowed NTP and DNS to all devices on the local interface, and SSH and GUI port access only to "admin" devices. I added allowing ICMP packets to the local interface for just the DB1 VLAN, and the DB1 has now been running smoothly without the constant 3 minute restarts of the RTSP stream.

While I had allowed unrestricted access to the internet, and unrestricted access to NTP and DNS on the local interface (gateway router), I didn't allow ICMP pings on the local interface.

Like you said Ronin, you need to ensure that the DB1 can ping its gateway IP address, otherwise, the DB will stop and restart the RTSP stream every 3 minutes, while not disconnecting from the network itself.

Now, I just need to review my DB1 firewall logs for the past month to isolate all the IP addresses and ports it communicates with on the internet so that I can lock down the DB1 firewall policy. The list of ports that cool77 mentioned did not work for me at the beginning which is why I have allowed unrestricted internet access.

@David, can you revise the 101.
In your Firewall settings, allow ICMP from the Doorbell to your router, otherwise you will lose the RTSP stream every 3 minutes in BI, VLC, etc. the doorbell will disconnect/reconnect the WiFi

Remove the disconnect/reconnect the Wifi as that never showed up in my AP logs and the normal cloud apps did not appear to lose its streaming connection either.

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I was trying to access the rca app today to view a notification which I have Face ID turned on for and I had my face mask on. It wouldn’t recognize me with my mask on, So I canceled and try logging in via username / password and none of that worked. Then I tried doing a forget password and it said it couldn’t find the username or the phone number or my email address and I tried all 3. So after creating another account, Now when I try to “re-add” the camera... it says it is registered to another account and I have to remove it first. Well obviously I can’t do that.... is there some other magic trick to fix this and get it added back to the app?

argus

n3wb
Reaction score
That’s strange, I have no problem using hik connect app on one device and rca App on another. Perhaps delete the camera from both apps and try adding it to the rca app first, I’m sure someone else will chime in (pun intended) with a fix shortly.

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That’s strange, I have no problem using hik connect app on one device and rca App on another. Perhaps delete the camera from both apps and try adding it to the rca app first, I’m sure someone else will chime in (pun intended) with a fix shortly.
F96FA2A8-EAA6-4CB2-9D29-90CD0AE8BFDB.jpeg

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I never noticed this item in the 101 as the symptoms was not included with the tip in the 101. I was troubleshooting the exact same issue with my DB1 for the past month. While the DB1 never actually disconnected from the wifi, it would restart the RTSP stream every 3 minutes, which appears as a signal loss / disconnect in BI and when using VLC. As Alex pointed out recently to another user, there is semantics in the usage of the word as "disconnect" as it implies it disconnected from the network to him (while others simply indicated the symptom which was that BI/VLC stops receiving the stream and would try to reconnect to the camera after a few seconds implying it disconnected from the camera, not the network).

Switching my access point from EAP120 to a EAP245 and switching band from 2Ghz to 5Ghz didn't solve it. I already had my firewall (an EdgeRouter) open to allow the DB1 unrestricted access to the internet.

Yesterday, while troubleshooting an NTP issue between my newly install GS324T Managed Pro switch and my EdgeRouter, I enabled logging on the local interface firewall since the traffic between the switch and the router would never leave the VLAN to find the NTP packets, I found the DB1 ICMP packets getting sent to the local interface on its VLAN and were getting blocked as I only allowed NTP and DNS to all devices on the local interface, and SSH and GUI port access only to "admin" devices. I added allowing ICMP packets to the local interface for just the DB1 VLAN, and the DB1 has now been running smoothly without the constant 3 minute restarts of the RTSP stream.

While I had allowed unrestricted access to the internet, and unrestricted access to NTP and DNS on the local interface (gateway router), I didn't allow ICMP pings on the local interface.

Like you said Ronin, you need to ensure that the DB1 can ping its gateway IP address, otherwise, the DB will stop and restart the RTSP stream every 3 minutes, while not disconnecting from the network itself.

Now, I just need to review my DB1 firewall logs for the past month to isolate all the IP addresses and ports it communicates with on the internet so that I can lock down the DB1 firewall policy. The list of ports that cool77 mentioned did not work for me at the beginning which is why I have allowed unrestricted internet access.

@David, can you revise the 101.
In your Firewall settings, allow ICMP from the Doorbell to your router, otherwise you will lose the RTSP stream every 3 minutes in BI, VLC, etc. the doorbell will disconnect/reconnect the WiFi

Remove the disconnect/reconnect the Wifi as that never showed up in my AP logs and the normal cloud apps did not appear to lose its streaming connection either.
The ICMP tip was already in 101, we discussed it in the past, see here: ICMP TIP

This is from 101 (link to the google doc format in my signature), which you should always consult when you have problems. :)

1598866752100.png

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As Alex pointed out recently to another user, there is semantics in the usage of the word as "disconnect" as it implies it disconnected from the network to him (while others simply indicated the symptom which was that BI/VLC stops receiving the stream and would try to reconnect to the camera after a few seconds implying it disconnected from the camera, not the network).
Disconnected has a precise meaning when we talk about network software. It's not my interpretation. We all should be careful when they choose words, language is very important. A bad use of the word disconnection leads me to think someone doesn't understand what is a TCP connection, and that is fine, as long as they are willing to fill the gap and understand what is a TCP connection (the 3-way handshake is fantastic, btw) and also the difference between UDP and TCP.

So if someone says: "BI disconnects" or "Camera disconnects", it means there's no TCP connection. If someone means to say that BI can't communicate with the camera is better, because that could be for reasons unrelated to the camera or the network (firewall, etc.).

Problem analysis requires a clear communication for both, if you say one thing and I understand another the debugging process becomes very difficult. :)

Repster

n3wb
Reaction score
(Ezviz DB1)
Afternoon, I have just installed a Sandisk 32gb Ultra now that my cloud sub has expired. It is reading as 'normal' following initializing. When I go in to the Hik-Connect to play the event it comes up with "FAILED TO SEARCH THE VIDEO. ERROR CODE: 380070"

Anyone have any ideas please?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try rebooting the camera using Batch Configuration and see if it sees the new 32Gb SD card or if not...

Can you give the SD card another format try using the Hikvision Batch Configuration program?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me.
After reading through the 101 and various posts I did the following and it recovered.
Turn off power and wait for the red LEDs to go out
disconnect power kit box and chime if connected
remove sd card and format to FAT32
copy the HIK firmware to the card as downloaded
copy the HIK firmware to the card renamed to digicap.dav (so you have 2 files on the card)
reinstall SD card
press and hold reset button
apply power
LEDs will flash once, do not release reset button
continue to hold the reset button until LEDs turn blue and doorbell announces reset successful
This is a combination of various suggestions on here so not sure if all are necessary as I was trying different things as I read them.
The above is the combination I had when it came back to life..
Just want you to know your message was a fantastic read. I have been extremely busy with my family lately and to read this good news lifted my spirits. Thank you for your share and helping others. I will Definitely be adding this to our 101 in hope it will help others who have solid red frozen DB. If this continues to help unbrick others, than we will be able to remove the RED LIGHT = BRICKED statement in our 101. Awesome read...With yours and usafltg's success 2020 is getting a bit better...