New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I sure wish they covered more of the floor and less of the ceiling. I've tried shimming mine at the top to experiment, but looks tacky. Mine are both mounted on single gang boxes and hang over the bottom as it is. lol , I have another Dahua pointed down to see packages, so that makes up for it.

Nonetheless, they are doing well and I'm certainly pleased.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My DB is perpendicular to the door. Any wedge ideas?
You can search online. Here is a 3D print site. You can download their STL file and take it to a 3d printer.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sure wish they covered more of the floor and less of the ceiling. I've tried shimming mine at the top to experiment, but looks tacky. Mine are both mounted on single gang boxes and hang over the bottom as it is. lol , I have another Dahua pointed down to see packages, so that makes up for it.

Yeah I do miss the 180 degree vertical view the EZVIZ DB1s had, I could see our whole porch floor. That Lens made sense for a Doorbell...

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Yep... I mentioned the same complaint last week. I shimmed mine and it doesn't look too bad, and I decided it's doubtful any visitor will notice. Unfortunately even adding a top to bottom 1/4" tilt I still see too much overhead for my liking. One option I played with is I can zoom in via my NVR software but since its a digital zoom the trade off is losing image quality. However, like you I also have another camera (a Lorex 4K model) shooting down to cover packages / deliveries.

Last edited:

CanadaBri

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I re-installed my doorbell last weekend. As you may recall, my previous install used an electrical box that I modified, and a lot of concrete sealant... and I did not use the included wedge. It looked decent, but the thing that bothered me about it was that because the camera was straight on the wall, when someone rings the doorbell and stands at the door, they were mostly out of view. I decided to use the wedge, but this required a face plate to help cover that hole in my brick wall. I had some mount plates 3D printed.

First, the mason that prepared my wall for my doorbell installation was absolutely correct in that the concrete sealant is very secure. It was quite a pain getting this thing removed.

I got the mount plate with wedge installed, and had to use a good amount of the concrete sealant to fill the gaps. A backer was necessary to provide something that the sealant would install against (I used a small block of wood). Got the doorbell on the wedge, and the view, while might not look significantly different, is much better as you can now see a person standing at the door.

Here is the install before
8-reolink-installed.jpg

... and after. I still need to clean the sealant off the brick.
1a.jpg
1b.jpg
2a.jpg
door-view.jpg

Here is the camera view when mounted flat on the wall (before wedge)
before-view.jpg

And here is the view after when mounted on the wedge
after-view.jpg

Might not look like much difference to some, but I am happy with the result.

Kewl, post some pics when you are done. I still need to get one printed myself.

Can I ask, how much do they cost?
I never answered that did I?.. The prints came to $10 each.

Last edited:

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most recent firmware has created 2 different instances of ONVIF failures that cause BI to stop getting any signal. I did an update without reset to factory defaults, it had the issue, then I completely reset to factory defaults and it still faulted out.

The motion events are still being recorded by teh camera to the microSD card, but all ONVIF video transfer to BI has stopped.

Reboot fixes, but 2x in the last week is not acceptable.

I still have the older firmware and will go back to it if it happens again.

Anyone else having that issue on recent firmware?

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most recent firmware has created 2 different instances of ONVIF failures that cause BI to stop getting any signal. I did an update without reset to factory defaults, it had the issue, then I completely reset to factory defaults and it still faulted out.

The motion events are still being recorded by teh camera to the microSD card, but all ONVIF video transfer to BI has stopped.

Reboot fixes, but 2x in the last week is not acceptable.

I still have the older firmware and will go back to it if it happens again.

Anyone else having that issue on recent firmware?
Which version did you upgrade to? The last one I upgraded to was in early May.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is one of the craziest Post I have ever had to Post. I have been pretty much the Doorbell Man my wife and friends/family has referred to me as. I have for the last 3+ years shared a lot, too much :), to them all that I have learned since getting our first Video Doorbell.
I have thoroughly enjoyed testing and playing with these VDBs.

To make this short, the wife and I have been looking at property away from our huge city for a few years now. Well we found one that has our full attention, 10 acres majority woods with a 1/2 acre pond, nice house in the middle so it has a gate at the county road and a nice drive through those woods to the house.

We have been out looking at it a couple of times this week, so what is it missing?

NO DOORBELL

I am not joking, how could the Doorbell man miss this, haha

Why would this property need a Doorbell, we have to let them in the gate for anyone to drive to our house. I have never had a gate and a drive to a house before...LOL

So if we actually get this house, our retirement house, then I will have to see about a gate CAM or Intercom, or electric gate, etc. in the future, that is if we have a lot of visitors or deliveries.

Too funny, this City Boy has a lot to learn in Country Living, LOL

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
v3.0.0.2033_23041302

From May 7.

I was working fine on the April update.
I have a wifi version and running v3.0.0.217_23041200 Config ver. v3.0.0.0

My signal drops have gone down with this version and seems more stable to me. The firmware versions are confusing me..

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you guys using RSTP? I would check RTMP and see is that fixes the drops...I have Zero Drops but still running older firmware...

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you guys using RSTP? I would check RTMP and see is that fixes the drops...I have Zero Drops but still running older firmware...
I am using RTSP. After I went back to firmware version v3.0.0.1859_23030902, my timeline is clean, without any drop-outs.

Can't remember why I upgraded. Don't fix things when they aren't broken.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went back to firmware version v3.0.0.1859_23030902, my timeline is clean, without any drop-outs.

Can't remember why I upgraded. Don't fix things when they aren't broken.
Same version here with no issues. I was being anal and looking for a new version myself, and you're right. Don't fix what isn't broke.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is one of the craziest Post I have ever had to Post. I have been pretty much the Doorbell Man my wife and friends/family has referred to me as. I have for the last 3+ years shared a lot, too much :), to them all that I have learned since getting our first Video Doorbell.
I have thoroughly enjoyed testing and playing with these VDBs.

To make this short, the wife and I have been looking at property away from our huge city for a few years now. Well we found one that has our full attention, 10 acres majority woods with a 1/2 acre pond, nice house in the middle so it has a gate at the county road and a nice drive through those woods to the house.

We have been out looking at it a couple of times this week, so what is it missing?

NO DOORBELL

I am not joking, how could the Doorbell man miss this, haha

Why would this property need a Doorbell, we have to let them in the gate for anyone to drive to our house. I have never had a gate and a drive to a house before...LOL

So if we actually get this house, our retirement house, then I will have to see about a gate CAM or Intercom, or electric gate, etc. in the future, that is if we have a lot of visitors or deliveries.

Too funny, this City Boy has a lot to learn in Country Living, LOL
Hey Doorbell Man... funny to hear I'm not the only one who picks up knick names associated with a pastime. Years ago I was a frequent contributor and part time moderator on a espresso coffee forum for many years (my wife and family frequently referred to me as Coffee Boy.

Congrats on your move to the wide open spaces. You mentioned 10 acres but not the proximity of the house to the gate. Depending on the distance you may or may not be looking at some serious work. I recently helped a friend with a similar issue. As you probably know WiFi cameras have a limited distance with the "good ones' being capable of 500ft. However if it's further than that you might find yourself laying some underground cable. (granted if WiFi you could use a WiFi extender if needed but thats another story) The benefit of laying cable you can run power at the same time so you don't have to worry about battery levels and/or replacing them (and because the solar panel battery charging versions don't last a long time) A power run can also be used to add a street light of some sort near the entrance, an electric gate, a "powered doorbell" ( and optional electrical power source for holiday lighting) Anyway... back when I was helping my friend I stumbled across this article It's has some good information. FYI: My friend ended up running power out to an electric gate using 250 ft. 12/2 Gray Solid CU UF-B W/G Wire. Since its UV rated what little he had to run above ground was of no big deal. Taking turns we used a simple square point garden spade pushing it into the ground about 3 inches deep to cut a slot along the edge of the driveway out to the road. (He just has to be careful if ever digging in the area ) . It's quick and dirtly and saves renting a trencher, running conduit, spending big bucks etc... just some ideas

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Doorbell Man... funny to hear I'm not the only one who picks up knick names associated with a pastime. Years ago I was a frequent contributor and part time moderator on a espresso coffee forum for many years (my wife and family frequently referred to me as Coffee Boy.

Congrats on your move to the wide open spaces. You mentioned 10 acres but not the proximity of the house to the gate. Depending on the distance you may or may not be looking at some serious work. I recently helped a friend with a similar issue. As you probably know WiFi cameras have a limited distance with the "good ones' being capable of 500ft. However if it's further than that you might find yourself laying some underground cable. (granted if WiFi you could use a WiFi extender if needed but thats another story) The benefit of laying cable you can run power at the same time so you don't have to worry about battery levels and/or replacing them (and because the solar panel battery charging versions don't last a long time) A power run can also be used to add a street light of some sort near the entrance, an electric gate, a "powered doorbell" ( and optional electrical power source for holiday lighting) Anyway... back when I was helping my friend I stumbled across this article It's has some good information. FYI: My friend ended up running power out to an electric gate using 250 ft. 12/2 Gray Solid CU UF-B W/G Wire. Since its UV rated what little he had to run above ground was of no big deal. Taking turns we used a simple square point garden spade pushing it into the ground about 3 inches deep to cut a slot along the edge of the driveway out to the road. (He just has to be careful if ever digging in the area ) . It's quick and dirtly and saves renting a trencher, running conduit, spending big bucks etc... just some ideas
Thanks. The gate to the house is a distance, not sure how much but the 10 acres is rectangular with the house close to the middle. The drive through the woods is a great drive and definitely more than 300 feet, possibly about a 1,000 feet. The Pole Transformer is on the back side of the property. Fiber would definitely be my solution.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well Good News, and Good News, I hardly every hear that without bad news included...

Our offer for our Retirement house was excepted
And we Do have a Doorbell, lol

Funny but looking online at listing pictures and the pictures we took at showing I did not see a doorbell, so I just figured why have a doorbell with a gate 1,000 feet away.

So the ReoLink DB will have a new home!!!