Out of the box solution for house still under construction?

HRain2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to Mat for the pointer to the group. We are finally doing some remodeling and adding a new addition to my single story 1700 sq ft house and I wanted to beef up my terrible* existing setup. Of course the system is ok, but the real problem is me. I don't know much about setting it up, but just plugged it in and let it record.

My contractor say he will run the POE wires for me to where I want them, but he can't suggest any equipment. I purchased from Monoprice 1000' of Cat6 23AWG/4 Solid UTP CMR cable, so hope it's ok. But I am not smart enough to piece meal a system or build a computer. I'd appreciate a setup I can just buy and plug in the cameras, download an app, and poof. For the most part my priority is monitoring and identification. I would like to be able to get alerts to my phone. I will be getting a network closet so can mount the NVR in the middle of the house, so I am excited about that. The house is a square and I was thinking 8 external cameras + a doorbell camera would great. I live on a busy street so am afraid that the alerts will constantly be triggered by people walking by.

Would really appreciate some help please.

*Existing setup: LaView LV-KNT982A42W4 4 MP zoom HD 8 Channel NVR PoE IP Security System, with 2pcs 4 MP (2688 x 1520) and 2pcs 2 MP (1920 x 1080) Bullet Camera

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My contractor say he will run the POE wires for me to where I want them.....
In CA , especially in SF, I recommend hiring a licensed C-7 - Low Voltage Systems Contractor
To find a good one, I suggest you go here ==>> Better Business Bureau
Category: low voltage contractor

At the above link I suggest typing in the category "low voltage contractor" and "BBB Accredited Only"; put in the name of your city and state then click on "Search."

I purchased from Monoprice 1000' of Cat6 23AWG/4 Solid UTP CMR cable, so hope it's ok.
Sounds good, it checks all the right boxes: CAT6, solid (not stranded), copper (not CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) and CMR (Riser) rated.

I'd buy it, insure it's correct and hand it over to the contractor; I also suggest you you buy the correct RJ-45 males that fit 23AWG and furnish those as well, let him terminate and test all the runs.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to Mat for the pointer to the group. We are finally doing some remodeling and adding a new addition to my single story 1700 sq ft house and I wanted to beef up my terrible* existing setup. Of course the system is ok, but the real problem is me. I don't know much about setting it up, but just plugged it in and let it record.

My contractor say he will run the POE wires for me to where I want them, but he can't suggest any equipment. I purchased from Monoprice 1000' of Cat6 23AWG/4 Solid UTP CMR cable, so hope it's ok. But I am not smart enough to piece meal a system or build a computer. I'd appreciate a setup I can just buy and plug in the cameras, download an app, and poof. For the most part my priority is monitoring and identification. I would like to be able to get alerts to my phone. I will be getting a network closet so can mount the NVR in the middle of the house, so I am excited about that. The house is a square and I was thinking 8 external cameras + a doorbell camera would great. I live on a busy street so am afraid that the alerts will constantly be triggered by people walking by.

Would really appreciate some help please.

*Existing setup: LaView LV-KNT982A42W4 4 MP zoom HD 8 Channel NVR PoE IP Security System, with 2pcs 4 MP (2688 x 1520) and 2pcs 2 MP (1920 x 1080) Bullet Camera
Good to see you @HRain2020

Plan for wanting to add a couple more cameras one day .. so run N+1+ cables to the positions.

Normally I get a 2-3 of boxes so I don't have to precut sections, just run them out of the boxes .. saves time ..
( if you want to run typically 2 runs at a time, get 2 boxes .. if 3 get 3 boxes .. for the media center I end up pre-measuring the extra couple of cables .. )

[ note, low voltage contractors may already have cables they prefer .. just double check the specs of the cable they have .. should be good cable if they are pros - that is if the contractor tells me they are going to use CCA cable I do not give them the work ]

Right now is a great time to test locations you are considering .. and then discuss with the contractor how to get the cables to those locations and not break any weather wrap .. will probably require extra cable .. as I would rather run outside the wrap down from the soffit than punch more holes in the wrap where water can get in ..

a lot depends on the siding .. if vinyl you maybe able to run it under the siding ..

Last edited: