Review - EmpireTech IPC-TPC124X-AI 1/2.7'' CMOS 4MP Thermal Network Mini Hybrid Eyeball Camera

luis oco

n3wb
Reaction score
i use it on smartpss, pic is bit good. :D

Hello, couple of questions.
1 - Is this the 2mm, or the 3mm version being reviewed here?
2 - Will the Thermal image (green image) produced by the camera, be displayed just like any other cam, on a 4x4 grid of any Dahua NVR?
Thank in advance
Luis

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, couple of questions.
1 - Is this the 2mm, or the 3mm version being reviewed here?
2 - Will the Thermal image (green image) produced by the camera, be displayed just like any other cam, on a 4x4 grid of any Dahua NVR?
Thank in advance
Luis
This review was the 3mm lens (Thermal 3.5mm, Visible 4mm).

The thermal image (whether it is green or any of the other color flavors) will be shown on an NVR and displayed like a camera in the grid view (obviously with the thermal colors).

Keep even though it is one camera, it is considered two channels in an NVR. So if you have an 8 channel NVR with 7 existing cameras, you will only be able to use either the visible or thermal camera.

luis oco

n3wb
Reaction score
This review was the 3mm lens (Thermal 3.5mm, Visible 4mm).

The thermal image (whether it is green or any of the other color flavors) will be shown on an NVR and displayed like a camera in the grid view (obviously with the thermal colors).

Keep even though it is one camera, it is considered two channels in an NVR. So if you have an 8 channel NVR with 7 existing cameras, you will only be able to use either the visible or thermal camera.
Thank you wittaj,

Apparently there are 3 lens versions of this cam. It seems the field of view and lens mm, behave somewhat different from a regular camera.
On the thermal side thats fine, hence there are probably different mathematics needed here, But on the optical side, it also seems unusual.
Would you have an opinion on this?

1- The Visual field of view does 71.2 degrees @ 4mm ( seems pretty narrow for 4mm).
2 - The thermal field of view gives you 50.6 degrees @3.5mm. (extremely narrow compared to conventional 3.5mm)

THERMAL
Field of View2 mm: H: 87.8°; V: 63.8°. 3.5 mm: H: 50.6°; V: 37.8°. 7 mm: H: 24°; V: 18°

VISIBLE
Field of View2 mm: H: 94°; V: 72°. 4 mm: H: 71.2°;V: 52°. 8 mm: H: 33.4°; V: 25°

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you wittaj,

Apparently there are 3 lens versions of this cam. It seems the field of view and lens mm, behave somewhat different from a regular camera.
On the thermal side thats fine, hence there are probably different mathematics needed here, But on the optical side, it also seems unusual.
Would you have an opinion on this?

1- The Visual field of view does 71.2 degrees @ 4mm ( seems pretty narrow for 4mm).
2 - The thermal field of view gives you 50.6 degrees @3.5mm. (extremely narrow compared to conventional 3.5mm)

THERMAL
Field of View2 mm: H: 87.8°; V: 63.8°. 3.5 mm: H: 50.6°; V: 37.8°. 7 mm: H: 24°; V: 18°
VISIBLE

Field of View2 mm: H: 94°; V: 72°. 4 mm: H: 71.2°;V: 52°. 8 mm: H: 33.4°; V: 25°

The main thing I see is that this camera is in the 4:3 ratio, so the optics/sensor they use is different than most other cameras and as such the field of view isn't as wide as we are used to.

So even though the thermal mm is smaller (and should thus be a wider FOV based on what we are used to), it is actually the opposite.

luis oco

n3wb
Reaction score
That makes total sense . I was unaware it was a 4:3 ratio.

Thanks!

Luis

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@wittaj Questions:

#1: How reliable is IVS (% of false alarms) for human detection during the day? Especially a really hot day. Can the outside ambient temperature be hot enough to make humans invisible to this camera?

#2: Same question for detecting animals during the day.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj Questions:

#1: How reliable is IVS (% of false alarms) for human detection during the day? Especially a really hot day. Can the outside ambient temperature be hot enough to make humans invisible to this camera?

#2: Same question for detecting animals during the day.
I haven't had this new model long enough to test it with a hot day equal to or above body temperature, but it performs better than my older model, so I would assume it would do the same.

But here are some captures of my older one at times that the temperature was above 99 degrees. The last one you can tell the person was really close in temp to the temp of the surroundings and it still picked it up.

1700350193377.png 1700350207310.png 1700350227030.png

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj great review, we can also change the color mode on camera. Can make it too green.

View attachment 177528
Very interesting, I may grab one.

Is it capable of running in fusion mode? e.g. superimposing the lower resolution thermal image on the higher resolution optical image to make it appear like a higher resolution image with thermal capabilities? The image on the left is so good that it appears to be fusion.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very interesting, I may grab one.

Is it capable of running in fusion mode? e.g. superimposing the lower resolution thermal image on the higher resolution optical image to make it appear like a higher resolution image with thermal capabilities? The image on the left is so good that it appears to be fusion.
Yes it can run in fusion mode.

From my testing if the field of view is tight, it can look pretty good as you see in that one image. If you have a field of view that is deep, the fusion doesn't work as well. There is some calibration capabilities that I have played with some that can help it, but don't expect it to be a magic solution to IDENTIFY someone like you can with a visible camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited: