Review- New Design Tendelux 10 Watt IR illuminator.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if the new 3M printed plates are less sensitive to the location of the IR as the older plates with the reflective properties of them of bouncing the light back towards the source?
What I am seeing is that the more IR light/ the more "contrast" you have between the background and the numbers/letters it makes it easier to read them. Then if you have too much IR light then there is too much reflection off the good plates and makes it hard to read them. One needs a balance which by chance I think I have achieved. I will post a couple of pictures over the next day or so. Pictures are worth a thousand words. ;)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are few photos from last night to show what I am talking about. First up will be a nice normal license plate picture for reference, which the vast majority of the plates look like. Next up will be a former dirty plate and you can see it is not shiny at all, but is quite readable. Then a California retro vanity plate that is unreadable from my LP1 camera. I backed tracked the car to my LP4 camera and I saw that it had a front plate. Fortunately, I was able to read it. The license plate reads MACRTHR. Here are the pictures in order. The extra IR helps tremendously.

11323 License Plate Normal.jpg

11323 License Plate Once Dirty.jpg

11323 License Plate Calif Retro Cant Read.jpg

11323 Cal Retro Plate MACRTHR.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
One more thing about this style of illuminator, which includes the Speco unit. There is Allen wrench screw that you loosen to adjust everything. To turn the mounting base, it is easier if you squeeze the two pieces together at the swivel joint once the screw is loosened. Once you get one in your hands you will see what I mean.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thing with both the Illunimar and the Speco units. I may have a little too much light in the area for these units to reliably come on at dark. So, I put a little bit of black electrical tape over the light sensor at the bottom center of the lens to ensure that they do. It works just fine. In this picture on the bottom unit, you can see the piece of tape. It is also on the top illuminator but is harder to see in the picture.

110123 Camera LP1 Illuminators.png

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Parley I am wondering if you slowed the shutter down a bit, with all that IR, could you maybe get thru the windshield and start to get a face image?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know. However, I can get a face image of someone walking by at times. This one is from last night. I was adjusting a PTZ camera wondering if I can get a license plate reading in color at night. I can but it is not reliable enough at this point in time. Here is the face picture from my LP2 camera from last night.

112023 Woman's face..jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley I am wondering if you slowed the shutter down a bit, with all that IR, could you maybe get thru the windshield and start to get a face image?
Here is what I have now. LP1 has a 1/4000 shutter speed. LP2 has a 1/500 shutter speed. LP3 has a 1/2000 shutter speed and LP4 has a 1/1000 shutter speed. Here is a picture from my LP2 camera of a car driving by with the window partly down and you can get somewhat of a picture of the driver. Also, the top of the head of someone in the passenger seat. I was reviewing some footage after you mentioned it and I do not think I can.

112023 Picture of Drive with Window Down.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah getting thru the windows are so tough. I was thinking if anyone had enough IR to do it, it would be you.

Not that I would expect identify quality, but recognize would be helpful to help tie a perp to the car if caught.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Parley "helped" me spend more money. I placed an order today from B&H Photo for two Iluminar IRC99-A60-24 IR illuminators. :)
Above post is from November 6, 2023.

These special order illuminators are on backorder until at least November 29, 2023. I've already run the wiring to new drilled holes very near the two cameras I use for license plate capture and am patiently awaiting a drop shipment for what I expect will be excellent additions to my garage area that is starting to look high-security with all of the neatly spaced and grouped surveillance apparatus. Good luck sneaking up on me. :lol:

Last edited:

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Above post is from November 6, 2023.

These special order illuminators are on backorder until at least November 29, 2023. I've already run the wiring to new drilled holes very near the two cameras I use for license plate capture and am patiently awaiting a drop shipment for what I expect will be excellent additions to my garage area that is starting to look high-security with all of the neatly spaced and grouped surveillance apparatus. Good luck sneaking up on me. :lol:
Post some pics.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley you can try to post some words now, @Mike just fix up the error
Thank you for your help Andy. I changed my email address and it appears that everything is up and running again. I have no idea why all of a sudden, this forum did not like my old email address.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
As soon as I get the new illuminators and install them, I'll do just that. I recently started a topic on my garage door area with pictures and I'm going to have to update it with new pictures since the old ones are so last month (October 29, 2023) -- Just installed four black IPC-B52IR-Z12E-S2 cameras .
Wow! That looks good. The new illuminators should work good. Also, you can use the Speco ones for a little more IR light seeing as you already have them. That is what I did when I bought my Illuminar units.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow! That looks good. The new illuminators should work good. Also, you can use the Speco ones for a little more IR light seeing as you already have them. That is what I did when I bought my Illuminar units.
This Illuminator available at Home Depot looks just like the B&H one, but costs less. :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This Illuminator available at Home Depot looks just like the B&H one, but costs less. :)
The illumination angle and distance specs are different, not that I necessarily believe either one. I have a hard time taking any of it seriously with statements like "Features 55 infrared LEDs for better nighttime visibility". It certainly does look the same based on the photos.