Tease

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Testing a new-ish Dahua camera. More in the coming days....

Which image is better? (Both cameras are 1/1.8" sensor, 3.6mm fixed lens, at 1/120 exposure, h.264, 8192Kbps, mounted 3" apart)

DVR_DriveWest_main_20200719005929_@1.jpg

4116P_IPC_main_20200719005946_@12.jpg

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say the second one, with the IPC watermark. That, of course, assumes it's an apples to apples comparison with sensor, lens and settings all being equal.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The second one seems to allow a little bit of more light. The differences are so hard to discern at the moment; however, would I upgrade for a little more light but sacrifice a little bit more noise? Probably not. The first one has lesser noise than the second one. I'm looking forward to the day we have razor sharp smoothness around the edges of objects (i.e. cars, trees, curbs, lampposts, etc.)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Same sensor, I still need to tweek the second one (the test cam) as @Arjun pointed out it still has a lot of noise... Gain is actually 65 on the first one, 45 on the 2nd..

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for elaborating on that, by the way, is this a turret or bullet camera?
Same sensor, I still need to tweek the second one (the test cam) as @Arjun pointed out it still has a lot of noise... Gain is actually 65 on the first one, 45 on the 2nd..

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks,
By the way, Smart move on the putting the mask on your rear view mirror; exposure to UV will kill the bacteria and other pathogens potentially lodged on the mask. Better than putting it in a zip lock bag that will only promote growth :thumb:
I still haven't discarded my 6 month old mask :lol:

Both bullets

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks,
By the way, Smart move on the putting the mask on your rear view mirror; exposure to UV will kill the bacteria and other pathogens potentially lodged on the mask. Better than putting it in a zip lock bag that will only promote growth :thumb:
I still haven't discarded my 6 month old mask :lol:
Regular glass does not pass UVC light, that sterilizes bacteria/virus. It acts like a filter block. Only quartz glass will pass UVC.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually spray it down with clorox in the vehicle and then hang it. Usually wear 2x then change filter and wash the mask. I go out 1-2 short trips per week

I suppose wearing a disposable N95 each day/each trip would be better, but that would cost more than ammo

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I would suspect that the heat inside a vehicle, in full sun, would be enough to destroy the CCP Virus pretty much completely. A closed vehicle in full sun can easily reach 160F, or higher, and stay there for quite a while. Given the relative fragility of the protective "coating" of the CCP Virus it should break down, easily, at those kind of temperatures.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I carry a spray bottle of 91% alcohol in the car, and spray the inside and outside of my mask before putting it on the dash.
Between the alcohol and the heat in OK, there would not be much survive!
I do put the straps underneath the mask, as the sun will kill the stretchy stuff.

Camera wise I can see a little better picture in the shadows in the second one, but the first might be a little sharper.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The second one looks better to me. I see some improved detail in the dark areas, like under the trees across the street. If there's some suspicious guy sneaking around in the dark without his COVID mask on, you're more likely to catch him. And if it's doing that with 20 less Gain, that's another plus.

1595178293389.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I do the same thing as far as spraying down goes. There are disposable N95 filters if you with the gas mask though. Apparently you can use the two filters for up to 30 days, replace and repeat
I actually spray it down with clorox in the vehicle and then hang it. Usually wear 2x then change filter and wash the mask. I go out 1-2 short trips per week

I suppose wearing a disposable N95 each day/each trip would be better, but that would cost more than ammo

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Regular glass does not pass UVC light, that sterilizes bacteria/virus. It acts like a filter block. Only quartz glass will pass UVC.
Ah, you're right, but I've read that when it comes to the side windows, they don't block the same level of UV as the windshield does. Turns out windshield effectively blocks up to 94% of UV whereas door windows up to 71% (that's alarming :rofl: ) I might ask well hang my mask above the rear driver side door card above the integrated sunshade

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Both look good. i prefer the 1st one its a little bit clearer than the 2nd one, that been said the 2nd one is a bit lighter across the road on the other side you could see if someone was standing in the gardens. be interseting to see what the 1st one is like if you make it brighter slightly. are these both ip cameras. i have a cvi ahd not a ip cam and i'm havive troble getting it as clear as either of your 2.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 2MP 2241 series CVI cams are very good in low light, they also make a 4MP CVI cam with the 1/1.8 sensor, which should be even better.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Second no contest

@bigredfish how high are these driveway 3.6mm cams mounted normally for 24/7 use not just testing.

I am thinking about replacing my 5442 3.6mm mounted waaayy high up like 8+ feet high under sofit with a 4K for high resolution birds eye view during day and moving the 5442 down for better ID of any potential car thief.

Reaction score
Testing a new-ish Dahua camera. More in the coming days....

Which image is better? (Both cameras are 1/1.8" sensor, 3.6mm fixed lens, at 1/120 exposure, h.264, 8192Kbps, mounted 3" apart)

View attachment 66644

View attachment 66645
Really close but the second one does have more light across the street. Thanks for setting this up, looking forward to the full test.