$1,000 good price for DS-9616NI-ST

havjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some help on finalizing my NVR purchase.
I am looking to get a 16-channel NVR for Hikvision cameras.
So far the cameras that I have are 1x2MP and 4x4MP.
I will be getting another 8-10.

I'm thinking that the DS-9616NI-ST gives me the most flexibility and performance.

I found that B&H carries it for a little under $1,000. This is my budget.
Is this a good buy? A decent buy? A rip off?
I've read that Dahua have faster incoming/outgoing bandwidth per $. True?

Here's the link to the Hikvision product page with specs:
http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10655_i8681.html

Thanks for any help/insights!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your paying for the capability to have up to 8HDD's, do you really need that?

I paid $250 shipped for my Dahua NVR, and other than the 2 HDD Capacity it exceeds most of the specs listed.. and for a couple hundred more I can get one that holds 4HDD's and has 2x the cpu power.

this is the bitch about Hikvision, you cant import a cheaper model w/out risk.

havjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your paying for the capability to have up to 8HDD's, do you really need that?

I paid $250 shipped for my Dahua NVR, and other than the 2 HDD Capacity it exceeds most of the specs listed.. and for a couple hundred more I can get one that holds 4HDD's and has 2x the cpu power.

this is the bitch about Hikvision, you cant import a cheaper model w/out risk.
Thanks nayr. If I get a Dahua NVR, will I be able to use my existing Hikvision cameras with them?
Why is Dahua so much cheaper and has better specs? What is the difference?
I have been under the impression (at least from this forum) that Hikvision and Dahua are comparable.
And since I inherited a few Hikvision cameras, I thought of just sticking with Hikvision...although I am not married to it in any way...at least just yet.

Can you point out what Dahua NVRs you are recommending for me to look at?

Thanks again!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hik does region locking, so if you buy a cheap Chinese grey market NVR you have to stick w/same region or they will refuse to play nicely with eachother.

Dahua does not do that, so you can import them from other countries and we've been successful at changing languages on em pretty easily and they are not checking eachother to make sure they were not imported out side of there approved channels.

Dahua does not offer support, they are just an OEM.. your retailer must provide service and support, so if you import it your self you can basically consider your self unsupported; but they dont shit in your cherrios either.

with either manufacturer, by the time you find a authorized retailer whom provides a direct warranty and support; they have jacked up the prices significantly for that privilege.