1/1.8" cameras at night

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Haven't read anythig in this thread. As far as i know dahua only makes 2 or less NPR cameras. They usualy are 2mp varifocal cams. Big ass cameras. The GUI has all kinds of stuff but nothing you can't read up on.... and yes with the right NVR just a few settings need to be done and the plate capture works great....but that is all we want them to do. Nothing but plate capture.

No help at all....i know.

LNPR cameras are built for that purpose. Other cameras may do well if you know how to set them up. We don't know how, so we sell the LNPR cameras to the customer and if necessary call tech suport to walk us thu setting them up.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't get this camera to reliably save the setting changes, at first it would not flip to night mode until I logged into the web GUI, without touching any settings or radio buttons, just logged in and it flipped to night IR mode. And it won't stay in 24hr mode, I changed it back to 24hr last night. I had failed LPR captures in day color mode, but then it was working great once it flipped to my night profile. And again during day mode, and back to +8 Beijing time zone.

But it went back to 12hr mode, and I'm not sure if it will flip to night mode tonight, (have to wait and find out). Any suggestions on why it's not saving the profile when I keep pushing the "apply" settings button repeatedly?
IE or Edge in IE mode
Apply/Refresh 3X

Last edited:

RJM_50

n3wb
Reaction score
IE or Edge in IE mode
Apply/Refresh 3X
Seriously? I need to use IE or Edge from Microsoft? The problem is the Chrome Browser, that just seems unbelievable. Is there a desktop software to access these cameras without a browser? I use Synology Surveillance Station and it has a separate software I utilize instead of a browser (mostly because they don't want to deal with the broken H265, but also better interface between multiple cameras on the network). Would be nice to have the same software to access the different EmpireTech Dahua cameras I now own, instead of separate web browser tabs.

It was fine last night, but again won't flip to night mode.Southbound LPR-20240501-2337176036.jpg

Last edited:

RJM_50

n3wb
Reaction score
stick it to the curb
Curb is way too far away, (I already"borrowed" my neighbor across the street mailbox for a reflector, to help the Northbound traffic that is on the far side). But I need something, like installing a random fence post at the street a few feet past my driveway entrance (but that would be too far at the edge of the field of view).
Or is there a good reflector tape that can go on the roadway during the summer while I get this dialed in, I don't expect it will last the winter snowfall and municipal plow trucks. Like a reflective grip tape that would be useful at track & field or race tracks?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While it is supposed to work with other browsers, keep in mind to ensure full compatibility, IE is still preferred. And this isn't specific to just Dahua either.

It comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers as more became available and IE started to fade.

Back when the firmware was written, it was probably a pain to get it to play nice with every different browser, so they went with the most popular one.

They haven't had a need to address this because their intended market (hint it isn't us) is mainly businesses where they have enough light they can stay in default settings so they don't have a need to login to the camera via browser. It is us homeowners that push these to the limits and actually change settings.

So we either deal with outdated browsers but better cameras or go with crap consumer grade cameras that use fancy apps (but probably more vulnerabilities than this plug-in) and modern browsers but horrible images.

A trusted member here wildcat_1, who works closely with Dahua and gets "under the hood" of the firmware, said in this thread:

"Not a case of only using IE for testing, it's more the case that this is the only fully compatible browser (until recent deployments) that truly work with Dahua GUI's. As we've all discussed before, other browsers unfortunately (up to Firefox support most recently) cause anomalies in config, maintenance modes, updates etc. All of this reported back to Dahua to tackle in future but while we all await compatibility with wider browser and platform acceptance OR browser agnostic GUI's, this is unfortunately where we're all at."

So while Dahua claims other browsers are supported, someone that looks at the fine details of the firmware, coupled with many users experience here, that Internet Explorer provides the best opportunity to set up the camera and the setting stick.

Doesn't mean you won't have a problem with another browser, but it is rolling the dice.

Simply use Internet Explorer or Pale Moon and be done with it.

Even brand new NVRs still have Explorer coded into them to access the cameras:

1713628780518.png

And sometimes you don't know what you are missing by using another browser:

For those that do not know...use IE browser for Dahua (and others?) camera GUI to see more options
I've been using Chrome since I bought my first Dahua camera from Andy last year (the good 'ol 4231's). I was able to log in, see menu options, do the config, save, logout....all done. Always wondered how folks were able to see the AI detection boxes livestream and other stuff which I thought...

Or this one where someone showed that with a brand new 2024 camera model, downloading files from an SD card is 100Mbps with Explorer and 10Mbps with other browsers.

Downloading videos files directly from camera via web interface (using other than IE) seems to be capped at TEN Mbps
UPDATE: If you use Internet Explorer (with plug-in), you can download videos via the web interface at the full 100Mbps speed - note you can't go any faster because the NIC doesn't support GigE.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As of the information available to me, Google Chrome is not as commonly used in China compared to other web browsers. This is due to the fact that Google services, including Google Chrome, are restricted in China. Instead, many people in China use web browsers such as Baidu, QQ Browser, and 360 Secure Browser, which are more popular in the country. Keep in mind that this information might have changed after 2021, so it's always good to check for the latest updates.

Upvote

Profile photo for Noufa Mohammed

Noufa Mohammed

·
Follow
Lives in Kozhikode, Kerala, India (2023–present)
· 1y
Google services, including Google Chrome, are not widely used in China due to the country's internet censorship policies and restrictions. The Chinese government has blocked access to many Google services, including Google Search, Gmail, and Google Drive, making it difficult for Chinese users to access these services. Additionally, the Chinese government heavily promotes domestic alternatives to foreign technology products, including web browsers.
As a result, Chinese users often use alternative web browsers such as Baidu Browser, QQ Browser, and 360 Secure Browser, which are specifically desig
… (more)

Upvote

Profile photo for Tim Brown

Tim Brown

·
Follow
Lived in China (2012–2019)
· 1y
Very rarely. Google is blocked in China along with most of its corresponding sites. China has its own google chrome clone called redcore. It was built almost completely off of chrone’s open source code.

Upvote

https://www.quora.com/profile/Keerthi-Chandana-V-A