Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, all 10tb.
Another few days left for this HDD.
take2.png

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm an Emby guy too. Been using it and the prior Media Browser platform since 2009.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Finally got around to swapping the easystore 10TB drive into my HP ProDesk G2. The drive was recognized immediately; no problem re: the 3.3V pins. If there had been an issue, all I would have needed to do would have been to snip the wire, as the SATA power wiring in my model has discrete wires (not a ribbon) and I could have just capped off the power on the line near the base of the L in the connector.

Anyway, I recreated the folder structure BI expects there and I immediately got the first two camera recording files showing up. (the ones assigned to this drive pathway originally). Then I went in and reassigned some more cameras to this larger drive; oddly they didn't show up within a minute or two as having files in the folder. I rebooted the PC figuring the service would then restart (I have it set to run as service) and put the files where they belong. This had the intended effect; presumably since the recording was already in progress for these other cameras, to my 4 TB drive, they would continue until service restarts or the clip file reaches end and restarts.

Anyway it's working fine. Just dropped the drive in, set up folders, started BI, assigned drive recording folders, and it's off to the races.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m experimenting with a tiny/micro form factor EliteDesk that doesn’t have room for a 3.5” drive anyway- my first drive purchased was a bare surveillance drive & a usb enclosure - even on clearance, the combination was over $100 for 5tb..

this seems cheaper & I like the idea of WD having to pay for any failed experiments.

I got a couple of brand-new-defective WD Black drives a few years back & had to pay for return shipping to Newegg, then WD left a snarky response to my bad review talking about how they “test every drive” before shipping.. at the time, they had about 30% 1-egg reviews on that model of drive because of new-defective drives.

I’m thinking I may just buy a couple & “camouflage” them in plain sight by strapping them to the inside of the lid of my cat’s litter box. If the drives fail in warranty, WD gets back the cat-box drives.. if they do survive, I can toss them and buy bigger drives... everyone wins!
That sounds disgusting and I don't think th cat pee will help it. Your poor hard drives

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Drive has been running fine so far. I wonder if it has filled up yet? It's so big....

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m experimenting with a tiny/micro form factor EliteDesk that doesn’t have room for a 3.5” drive anyway- my first drive purchased was a bare surveillance drive & a usb enclosure - even on clearance, the combination was over $100 for 5tb..

this seems cheaper & I like the idea of WD having to pay for any failed experiments.

I got a couple of brand-new-defective WD Black drives a few years back & had to pay for return shipping to Newegg, then WD left a snarky response to my bad review talking about how they “test every drive” before shipping.. at the time, they had about 30% 1-egg reviews on that model of drive because of new-defective drives.

I’m thinking I may just buy a couple & “camouflage” them in plain sight by strapping them to the inside of the lid of my cat’s litter box. If the drives fail in warranty, WD gets back the cat-box drives.. if they do survive, I can toss them and buy bigger drives... everyone wins!
I have the sff elite desk g1 also. I've been using an old 4tb external for video, no problem for months and the drive is over 3 years old

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How is this holding up so far? I'm planning on putting this in a Dahua NVR with 20+ cameras. This review seems to indicate at least on the firmware level they are a bit different than the red drives. I have one that I bought on sale months ago.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine is holding up fine. So far works as well as purple drive.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMHO, I don't get hung up on the "nas drives". For years, we had just "server grade drives" that we ran in servers 24/7, constantly hashing. Very rarely a problem and when there was, that's what the raid setup was for.

IF I can get a "nas drive" at the same price as a "server drive" then fine. I'll go w/ a nas drive. But to pay a 30% price premium for it? Nah....

About 2yrs into my NAS with "proliant server drives" in it. writing to them 24/7 without a failure thus far.

wait....I did have a single drive fail within 30days of buying it but I don't think that's b/c it wasnt "nas grade".

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
10 drives at 10TB each. Or even 12 in your NAS??? Good grief you must have one heck of a movie collection! You go man!
lol, My 2 sons and I backup to each other NAS'. One has over 20tb of movies. Makes my 100k+ photo collection seem puny at 7tb.

Using Synology's Raid 6 so the system can tolerate two drive failures and one hot spare. Works out to about 80tb available.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
lol, My 2 sons and I backup to each other NAS'. One has over 20tb of movies. Makes my 100k+ photo collection seem puny at 7tb.

Using Synology's Raid 6 so the system can tolerate two drive failures and one hot spare. Works out to about 80tb available.
synology here too. Mine is only a 4drive nas though. Awesome that you cross backup w/ your son. My close friend who also has a Synology can't keep it running long enough for us to do that. Not because its unstable but rather that he can't leave good enough alone. One of those guys that complains about something not working when the problem is actually that is WAS working and he wanted to dick w/ it.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We had a lightning hit last summer. I had/have a 5 bay Synology that was acting funky after. The insurance company paid to replace it. So now I have that and a DS2419+. When it come to 'knowing', that's not me. Two of my sons are really into tech (one is a senior MS engineer and the other is, well, lets just say he is really into tech). I count on them for everything concerning my lan or NAS setup - but I'm learning. It's been a long time since I breadboarded an 8080 (1976).
The biggest issue on backup was the initial load. My 8tb of data took a month. The Synology backup program would 'fail' after so many hours (timeout I guess) but would pick right up at 1 am the next morning. Having 8mb upload speed didn't help.
Sometimes I do things just because I can and sometimes its just to learn.