100% CPU spike out of nowhere - Even when all cams disabled

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all...

I've been using Blue Iris now for about a month and have 6 cameras running using a Intel Pentium G3258 duel core 3.2Ghz processor. My CPU has been hovering past month at around 62% CPU usage with no problems at all running the program.

I just checked my CPU usage today and its spiking at 100% out of nowhere (Blue Iris is at like 98% in task manager). I didn't change any settings at all to cause such a huge jump.

***Now here is the very strange thing. Before when I would disable all the cameras and be in Blue Iris my CPU usage drops to around 5%. Today, even with all cameras disabled the CPU usage stays at 98-100% BUT my computer does not seem to run slow. Even when all 6 cameras are going and CPU shows 100% I still am able to do things before like I could when it showed 60% usage.

Any suggestions as to what would cause this to happen all of a sudden out of nowhere? Could it been an update that caused this?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you looking at the Details tab in task manager? I do not trust Processes / Performance tabs to report CPU usage accurately.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you looking at the Details tab in task manager? I do not trust Processes / Performance tabs to report CPU usage accurately.
Yeah, I go into the resource monitor section of task manager l.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The really strange thing is that cpu usage stays at 80+% even when I disable all the cameras. The recording and playback works perfect. No missing framed or video skipping when I playback.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I think I might have narrowed it down. I reinstalled BI and my CPU is hovering at 3% with no cameras added. When I load in my v4 .reg file my CPU shoots straight to 100%.

I then went and deleted all my cameras and CPU usage stayed at 80%+ ... so this tells me there is something in the settings that somehow got changed.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I found out what the problem was. I had "Queue for convert/export" ticked in "Clips and Archiving". I guess my hard drive hit the 500gb size limit and started queueing clips for conversion. This bogged down the system! Whoohoo. Problem solved. @fenderman ... is there any downside to keeping the clips in .bvr format and only converting if they need to be exported? Other than needing to convert to view clips outside of BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I found out what the problem was. I had "Queue for convert/export" ticked in "Clips and Archiving". I guess my hard drive hit the 500gb size limit and started queueing clips for conversion. This bogged down the system! Whoohoo. Problem solved. @fenderman ... is there any downside to keeping the clips in .bvr format and only converting if they need to be exported? Other than needing to convert to view clips outside of BI.
There is no downside...you can always convert later...its pointless to convert before you need it..