100ft cat5e cable run_strain releif

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m looking for ideas on how to run 100ft of outdoor cat5E cable from a telephone pole to a building. I would like to use POE so I don’t need additional power to the camera. I think with this length, I will need some kind of strain relief or something to support it.

I have a red line from the pole to the approximate located on the building where it will attach. I will add a pole to the building so I have the height I need for clearance.

I have several of the cameras below which I will be using. I hope they will be sufficient at this distance. My goal is to eliminate the rear camera and the one by the front door which isn’t visible in the picture.

This is the camera I will be using:
Hikvision V5.3.0 DS-2CD2032F-I Replace DS-2CD2032-I 3MP 1080P Poe with SD Card Slot IR IP Network CCTV Camera Multi-language 4mm
GC_RV-1.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
string a steel cable up, winch it reasonably tight, and then coil your outdoor rated direct burial ethernet cable down it.. a small 1/4 cable should be enough.

just like installing a kids zip line, but without all the fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m looking for ideas on how to run 100ft of outdoor cat5E cable from a telephone pole to a building. I would like to use POE so I don’t need additional power to the camera. I think with this length, I will need some kind of strain relief or something to support it.

I have a red line from the pole to the approximate located on the building where it will attach. I will add a pole to the building so I have the height I need for clearance.

I have several of the cameras below which I will be using. I hope they will be sufficient at this distance. My goal is to eliminate the rear camera and the one by the front door which isn’t visible in the picture.

This is the camera I will be using:
Hikvision V5.3.0 DS-2CD2032F-I Replace DS-2CD2032-I 3MP 1080P Poe with SD Card Slot IR IP Network CCTV Camera Multi-language 4mm
View attachment 10303
Use 1/8 SS wire rope. http://www.amazon.com/Koch-015121-Cable-Construction-Stainless/dp/B002T44RJA/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1461868219&sr=1-11&keywords=1/8+stainless+wire+rope

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Are there special ends I should use to pull the cable tight?

wewoapsiak

n3wb
Reaction score
A turn buckle will work well, I'd use a couple of saddle clamps to make loops at the end of the wire instead of crimps just in case you want to take it down or move it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
saddle clamps, you'll likely need a few extra to help pull it tight.. if you have access to a ratchet winch it'll help alot, steel cable is a heavy son of a bitch.

fix one end nice and tight, then on the other end thread it through some saddle clamps that are loose and then put a loop on the end with another set of clamps.. then attach the wench to the loop on one end and steak it down under the run as far as it'll go and then start ratcheting it tight.. once you have it at the height you want go tighten up the loose clamps and cut off the excess cable with a nice pair of dikes or a cutoff wheel.. if you dont have a winch a trailer hitch would do in a pinch, just take it easy and use chain/steel.. not rope, last thing you want is a tensioned steel line breaking loose and going all final destination on your ass.

on that wood post you'll likely want to sink an i-bolt into, so it dont cut or slip.. dont get so crazy with the winch you pull down some power poles or anything hehe.. you want enough slack the poles on both end can rock back and forth without pulling it taught.. unlike a zipline this is probably best with a bit of slack to absorb the wind.

pay a few extra bucks and go with stainless steel hardware, it'll last longer and look better.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^ aka saddle clamps :)

ps: use heavy work gloves when working with steel cable, if you like your digits..

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the record:

Wench.jpg Wench

Winch.jpg Winch

[Sorry... Bugs me... I'm in the industry. (Winches that is)]

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I wish there was an easier way though. I guess this is the only way I'm going to be able to see all of that area with one camera. The front door is the main area of concern. The camera I have there now is too close