12 TB WD Purple not being detected in new Win10 computer

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So I am building a new computer around a Core i5-10400 and a Mini ATX motherboard with the latest 490 chipset. Everything is up and running EXCEPT it will not detect my new WD Purple 12 TB drive....

It shows up in the BIOS (I can even see the model and serial number). I have tried all 4 of the available SATA ports, but it is not being detected in Windows 10. (I have an old 2 TB drive and that shows up just fine so I know the SATA cable, etc is working). Latest BIOS for the motherboard, all the drivers installed. Nothing in Device Manager or Disk Manager. I am not happy that Amazon shipped the drive laying loose in another box with other items - all it has for protection was the static bag.

Any thoughts?

Intel Core i5-10400.............CPU
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac........Motherboard
Western Digital 12TB WD Purple Surveillance Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, , 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD121PURZ

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yep, definitely spins up. I am beginning to think there is a problem with the drive. I tried connecting it via an external drive dock (USB 3) that I have to a couple of computers and it does not show up. I have a WD 12 TB 'Easy Store' external backup drive and it works fine with my computers via usb...

I have screwed around with it long enough and I am just going to return it. I have always bought WD Drives, but am considering a Seagate AI Surveillance drive instead

Anyone have an opinion WD vs Seagate? I am not sure why, but the "AI" Seagate drive is actually cheaper than their regular surveillance drive even though it appears to have better specs

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mioutlook

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using WD/Hitachi Enterprise Drives in my systems but have 7 8TB Seagate surveillance drives in my main BI rig. The oldest ones are 4 years old and knock on wood have been trouble free. I like that the Seagate drives are all 7200rpm and from what I can tell the main difference between the AI and non AI drives is that the AI drives are helium filled. The helium reduces the drag on the platters and probably allows for the higher workload numbers on the AI drives.

Be careful when ordering the drives from Amazon. I always look to see that the drives are Sold By and Shipped By Amazon. The drives always come in a proper box, although if it ships by itself it might not have an outer box. These drives may be cheaper from other sellers but I've found the packaging and warranty to be unreliable.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks - and your absolutely right about Amazon Drives. I didn't check when I ordered this one and it was actually sold by a 3rd party. I have also have had problems in the past when buying these larger hard drives from Amazon. For example, an 8 TB Gold, was sold by 'Platinum Micro' turned out to actually be an OEM type drive that WD won't warranty. That is why I am thinking about switching to Seagate. They have a 12 TB drive, sold by Amazon but won't be in stock until next week, but I think I will just wait for it, not in a hurry at this point. I was thinking about buying a 12 TB WD UltraStar (helium filled) but it is one of those 'Platinum Micro' drives and I don't want to go down that road

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Try Partition magic or partition wizard maybe it can initialize or format it. Is there any chance the Drive size limitation has been exceeded or the partition limit for the motherfBoard? If so maybe you could make 2 partitions.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you gone into disk management and see if it needs initializing?

Edit I see you checked in disk management. If it simply isn't there showing at all to even initialize, bad drive.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yep, doesn't show up in disk management or device manager. If it doesn't show up, can't even try to initialize it. I even tried the WD Utility that is usually used to test a drive to see if it is bad - the utility can't even locate it.

Thanks all for the replies

MikeRuth

n3wb
Reaction score
As a Long time PC tech one of the things I found in this case is to see if the drive shows up in another PC> I recently did the same by connecting the drive to another PC, it did see it and then initialized it and formatted it, then brought it back to the PC and it showed up just fine. Good luck

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Follow up
New Seagate Skyhawk AI 12TB Surveillance drive showed up this morning. Connected it up and it was immediately detected :)

My first reaction when I first received that WD Purple Drive shipped only in the static bag. lose in a box like that was to return it - I shouldn't have even wasted my time with it

You bought another drive from Amazon, after their great packing/shipping?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have bought a lot of hard drives and computer parts from Amazon - about 99% are problem free. (My home server currently has over 50 TB of storage) When it comes to hard drives, I have learned there is a particular vendor - 'Platinum Micro' that appears to be selling large format, OEM type drives as new, retail, an that is the main reason they are not packaged properly in an individual box. That is the reason I switched to Seagate for the replacement drive.

I should have checked better when I bought the drive, but it has been a couple of years and Amazon makes it very easy to return. (UPS is coming to my house to pick it up). Plus, it is really hard to beat Amazon's prices and I have stopped buying from NewEgg since a Chinese company bought a majority stake in them a couple of years ago

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad your up and running. It was nice to see people reachout and try to help. When my day comes to have some headache with my BI system, I feel confident that somebody will reach out. Hopefully not to tell me to go pound sand....:rolleyes:

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Follow up - I was so pleased with the Seagate Drive (and it has been years since I bought Seagate) I bought a Seagate 12TB NAS IronWolf for $269 for another computer. They are currently on sale from NewEgg for $269 - which is a pretty decent price. It was shipped promptly and properly packaged in a small cardboard box with inserts. (It's currently on sale at NewEgg) NewEgg does list this as an OEM drive but I was able to easily register it and verify the 3 year warranty

Tri -  1127.jpg