120 fps ip camera

Pneunomia

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

Im looking for 120 fps ip camera with affordable price, 720P resolution at least, hevc advantage...

Thanks for the ideas and tips!

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you really want a 120FPS camera or is that that maximum bandwidth your NVR can handle?

Reaction score
I'm probably going to regret this question, but WHY do you wand 120 FPS from a surveillance camera? What do you expect to gain from that? This is like a way over sampled frame rate. This is way more than what Hollywood movies run at.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could get 10 Reolink quality IP cameras run at 12 FPS each. Stack them all horizontal in front of house? Sorted? Think they do MPEG only so sorry for the lack of hevc stuff.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Axis Q1615 or similar traffic cameras, older models are often under 200-400$ at ebay.

Pneunomia

n3wb
Reaction score
Axis Q1615 or similar traffic cameras, older models are often under 200-400$ at ebay.
Thank you!

I thought about it, 2 pcs 60 fsp supported camera will be enough...
Dahua IPC-HDBW8231E-ZEH is not bad, btw.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But what is the reason for that much FPS?

These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. Many of my cameras are running at 12FPS.

If your unique case requires that type of FPS, you will find surveillance cameras are not going to meet your needs and you need to get a camera capable of that - or spend some serious money.

We have had recently people come here after purchasing cameras in two instances where they were wanting 60FPS - one was a tennis club and another was a youth soccer club. In both cases they found that these types of cameras were not capable of what they were wanting to do. Sure the cameras could run faster FPS, but it still didn't provide them with the level of detail they were looking for. I recall the soccer club had a decent quality PTZ ($800) that is fine for a residential or retail/commercial installation, but to cover the action of the soccer field it wasn't capable of meeting their needs. And because of the extremely fast motion, it was creating a halo type effect around the action (which can be seen in certain lighting conditions). These cameras are good, but not good enough to catch the rotation of a ball for example.

Pneunomia

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I'm bored and thought I'd build a Sky watcher system next to the existing system :) Two cameras can't have the same pixel error...

waterside

n3wb
Reaction score
By "sky watcher system" if you mean something for astronomy then surveillance cams are not even close to sufficient since that is not their intended use.

If you are looking for high frame rates to use in image stacking then again, surveillance cams are not what you want.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are plenty of cameras built just for astronomy and have nothing to do with broadcast. They're usually built to socket into a telescope but you could likely screw on a normal lens and put it under a dome for weatherproofing.

But I doubt that is his purpose. The 1/1.2" 4K sensors used in some modern full color 4K cams are great for capturing eye candy day and night, without any of the expense or difficulty of working with an astrophotography cam.

waterside

n3wb
Reaction score
Indeed neither of those uses even 60fps, let alone 120fps.

I have a pair of surveillance cams (Hikvisions) used as weather cams and they work well for that. One runs as 12fps and the other 15fps, and I know others that use five or six fps. 120fps is way beyond overkill.

The comment that two 60fps cams can work instead of a single 120fps cam is what makes me suspect that image stacking is the intent. For that video feeds are not the best choice, but the OP would need to confirm the intent.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The only reason I can see for 120fps is if you're trying to capture UFO's as planets and stars don't move that fast. If the OP's intention is capturing ET and he's not telling us, then I suggest a Sony A75III DSLR with a suitable lens and a trip to Area 51 (outside the restricted zone). You might want to take a phone as well, just in case he needs to make a call.....