128 Streams, view on Multiple Tv's in Building. Advise / Suggestions Needed.

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all. So here is the situation:

We have 2pc DS-8664NI-I8 NVR ( 64 ch without POE ) Alle camera's connected to Gigabit POE Switches in the same network. and added to the NVR's There are several rooms in the building, where we want to View the images. In some places Quad view , other places Single screen, other places 3x3 view. So in total 40 Monitors.So a load of bandwith traffic ( all have an cat6 cable already installed )
1 Option is to mount 4 or 8 CH NVR behind each monitor, and Add the Wanted IP camera to that nvr, but after one camera is added to 3 different NVR, the 4th gets an error. ( so seems like the camera only gives 3 outputs ( port 8000 or 554 all same )
So another option is to add the 64CH NVR ip adress, and select the channel number. However i dont know the restrictions for this , and i dont want to put too much load on the 64ch NVR's

We wanted to stream from a Server, which has stream media server installed, but it seems not possible to sent stream to the nvr with stream media server ( it works only with client ivms pc's )
Also thinking about Android IP boxes ( they take less place, and easy to install ) But with the app installed, it will also block after 10 connections .

If possible, i would prefer a Server doing the work .

I need some suggestions, advise in this specific case . Thanks very much !!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would suggest looking into HDBaseT devices. These push an HDMI signal over cat5e/cat6 cable so you can take the video feed from an NVR and distribute it without any additional load on the cameras or on the NVRs.

If you need to be able to consume more RTSP streams than the cameras and NVRs can provide, look at rtsp-simple-server which is a linux program you could configure to redistribute RTSP video feeds to multiple clients. I only use it for one stream currently (my wifi doorbell) so I can send its feed to two recording devices with only the wifi load of one stream. It has been rock solid in this very basic use case. Hopefully would work well under much heavier loads too.

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In this case. Does the server have to open ALL video streams ? Which is nearly impossible in my case ( due to memory / processor shortage)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is unclear what you're asking. The rtsp-simple-server app doesn't actually play any video so it has very light resource requirements.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran into something related just yesterday with my 5216-4ks2 NVR. I usually live view 4 cameras using smartPss, with the video routed through the NVR (smartPss does not connect to the cameras). Yesterday I fired up a 2nd computer and went to view 4 cameras on it the same way, and found out that when the NVR is maxed out, it won't send the requested video to smartPss. It looks more like a bandwidth limit rather than a connection count limit. In cases where I couldn't view a higher bitrate camera, I could view a different camera with a lower bitrate. When it wouldn't let me view a camera on computer #2, as soon as I dropped any camera off computer #1, the one I wanted would be available on computer #2.