12v router ?

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any 12v routers outhere that have VPN server built in ? I would like to instal 1on my boat so I can put camera and see it remotely

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sure there are 12V routers, but they want a nice stable 12V supply not a fluctuating battery voltage. The bigger issue is how to you imagine the router is getting internet. Cellular, satellite, and marina wifi would all be incompatible with you setting up a VPN server on a router in most cases. Some form of NAT traversal would be required instead.
An appropriate power supply would also be required. Access to electricity in general matters, you'd need to know the power consumption of the router and camera(s) to calculate how long it would last on battery power. I think It would be less time than you imagine. Solar panels would likely be necessary.

A more practical option would be something like a battery powered, motion activated trail or game camera. Some can transmit images over cellular.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thx tangent ...here I can get 1000gb 4gmobile internet for around 20 EUR per month that will be more than enough ...
I see that Asus routers are 19 v so maybe I can use STEP UP BOOST MODULE CONVERTER from 12 to 19 v 5a .?..have house battery and solar 200w

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind that 200 watt rating is, generally, reflective of ideal conditions with direct sunlight. In reality, it's probably more like 100 watts or even less depending on local weather conditions and the time of year. A camera, with IR lights running, is about 7 watts which equates to 168 watts per day, and that's just for a camera.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm aware of solar power thx ...I will put only 2 cameras and have 180ah house battery and will be on the boat every few days to check things and run a motor ...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thx tangent ...here I can get 1000gb 4gmobile internet for around 20 EUR per month that will be more than enough ...
I see that Asus routers are 19 v so maybe I can use STEP UP BOOST MODULE CONVERTER from 12 to 19 v 5a .?..have house battery and solar 200w
cellular typically requires a special router.

cellular uses carrier grade NAT, you typically can't get remote access directly. You have to use a different approach that uses NAT Traversal.

You also have to power the camera, they also like a nice stable power supply. Most behave best on 48V 802.3af PoE, a handful of specialty cameras are more tolerant of battery voltage.

A some form of buck-boost converter, with some solar and a deep cycle battery should be workable.
Math is required. Battery capacity in amp hours * 12v = watt hours. Add up total wattage of everything you indent to power divide by 0.8 for some inefficiency, then divide battery watt hours by this number to see how long battery will last.
you get the idea.

Presumably there are some other things that also use power on the boat...

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get sim card from provider and I can put it in every router I like that support SIM card I've already tried in 2 different routers ..no other things use power when I'm not there on boat ...Asus router i presume use around 5-10 w stand by and max 33 w and I can go up to 225 ah battery and 300w solar but I don't think it will be necessary

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get sim card from provider and I can put it in every router I like that support SIM card I've already tried in 2 different routers ..no other things use power when I'm not there on boat ...Asus router i presume use around 5-10 w stand by and max 33 w and I can go up to 225 ah battery and 300w solar but I don't think it will be necessary
That's far better cellular internet than we have in the USA, but I still don't think you'll be able to VPN into your router. However, you may be able to VPN out from the cellular router to your home network.

What routers do you have / have you tried?

How do you plan on recording the video? SD Card? Cloud/Private cloud (eg, server or NVR at your house)? Other device hidden on the boat?

In this application P2P nat traversal like Dahua's Easy4IP (built into the cameras) are probably your easiest option (they have some security issues, but shouldn't matter here). If you could get something like ngrok running on your router that would also be an option.

As far as power is concerned, test in a controlled environment on land where it's easier to measure power consumption. Then adjust solar, battery, and related hardware as needed.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That I why I asked here for help ))
I would like to use Asus router I'm familiar with them ...I have more than 30 cameras In few locations all dahuas starlite and ptzs and dahua NVR s ...
I tried 2 different Huawei s will try some others in next few days .
I don't have any plan yet on how or where to record it ..would love to have some NVR in boat. but open to all options ..
Yes I will test everything home first and do measuring...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That I why I asked here for help ))
I would like to use Asus router I'm familiar with them ...I have more than 30 cameras In few locations all dahuas starlite and ptzs and dahua NVR s ...
I tried 2 different Huawei s will try some others in next few days .
I don't have any plan yet on how or where to record it ..would love to have some NVR in boat. but open to all options ..
Yes I will test everything home first and do measuring...
Simplest option would be to add the camera to a NVR on land using Easy4IP (assuming you allow the NVR's to access the internet)

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Big thx .will check this ..I buy always only from Andy ))