$150 to set up Blue Iris for off network viewing

Reaction score
I'm looking for an expert to set up Blue Iris so I can view it from the internet. I've already got the cameras installed and they are up on my computer, I just need someone to forward the ports and configure the program so I can view it from the mobile app or a webpage. $150, we would connect using Team Viewer Remote Desktop. Please let me know if you are interested.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an expert to set up Blue Iris so I can view it from the internet. I've already got the cameras installed and they are up on my computer, I just need someone to forward the ports and configure the program so I can view it from the mobile app or a webpage. $150, we would connect using Team Viewer Remote Desktop. Please let me know if you are interested.
Welcome to the forum. If you post your settings here we can help you for free.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway, go to this website, and follow the instructions: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Blue_Iris/ Do not pay them money or download anything from them. All the information you need is free and doesn't require you to download anything, but they will try to sell you their tool which will only be more trouble than it is worth.

When you get to the part where you enter the port number, just forward port 80, not 81.

Make sure Blue Iris is also set up to listen on port 80 (in Blue Iris Options > Web Server tab).

One last thing, type into google "what is my ip" and it will tell you your public IP address. If you are lucky that never changes, otherwise you should set up a dynamic dns address (DDNS). Google to find a free provider.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Anyway, go to this website, and follow the instructions: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Blue_Iris/ Do not pay them money or download anything from them. All the information you need is free and doesn't require you to download anything, but they will try to sell you their tool which will only be more trouble than it is worth.

When you get to the part where you enter the port number, just forward port 80, not 81.

Make sure Blue Iris is also set up to listen on port 80 (in Blue Iris Options > Web Server tab).

One last thing, type into google "what is my ip" and it will tell you your public IP address. If you are lucky that never changes, otherwise you should set up a dynamic dns address (DDNS). Google to find a free provider.
Why 80 not 81? The guy set it up on 81.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
80 is the default http port that browsers use if you don't specify a port number. If you choose 81, you will have to remember to type :81 at the end of your ip address every time you want to log in remotely via a web browser that doesn't have a bookmark.

You can still have BI listen on port 81 and forward public port 80 to internal port 81, if you want.

Or you can just forward public port 81 ... your choice.

stoneyc

n3wb
Reaction score
ill do it either email me or give me a call on any Friday night sometimes theres more to it like windows firewall or any other plus theres other things that I have found over the years working with windows and blueiris phone 303-429-9055 email stevecarson2001@yahoo.com I have team viewer

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really hope you're running encryption on port 80.

Here is my recommendation of bare minimum security requirements for BI:
- wrap traffic within ssh/vpn w/ certificate auth; or use SSL/stunnel (BI docs) with a proper CA'd cert
- isolate cameras on a vlan (your cameras may leak data, I have proof of this on some cams)
- isolate BI server on a vlan
- isolate vlan traffic between BI and camera vlan
- enable firewall logging for intrusion detection

paranoia:
- remote IP restriction
- firewall alerts
- knockd
- non-standard ports

hoffsta

n3wb
Reaction score
I really hope you're running encryption on port 80.

Here is my recommendation of bare minimum security requirements for BI:
- wrap traffic within ssh/vpn w/ certificate auth; or use SSL/stunnel (BI docs) with a proper CA'd cert
- isolate cameras on a vlan (your cameras may leak data, I have proof of this on some cams)
- isolate BI server on a vlan
- isolate vlan traffic between BI and camera vlan
- enable firewall logging for intrusion detection

paranoia:
- remote IP restriction
- firewall alerts
- knockd
- non-standard ports
I would like to do all this stuff but I'm a networking newb (just switched from apple Airport Extreme gear to Ubiquiti so I actually can do advanced stuff) Can you point me to any detailed threads or guides on setting some of this stuff up? I've never dealt with vlans but I'd like to learn. Thanks!

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty much everything I stated should be possible with the dd-wrt firmware with remote system logging which I use pretty religiously for private as well as some commercial use. Their forums and how-tos are great; and all the concepts can be transferred to commercial hardware such as cisco switches and linux firewalls.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Expect to spend a few months playing around with it. This stuff is complicated if you have no prior experience and learning it takes time; I've been doing it for years and consider myself an amateur.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have found dynu.com to be a real good free DDNS Provider!