1st camera installed snapshots working..next?

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I know most don't use motion detection from the cameras due to the outrageous ammount of hits but has anyone figured out a reasonable setting on sensitivity and threshold? What does the threshold setting even mean?

I'll order my next cameras with alarm i/o so I can use pir sensors but until late then I'll have to tweak what I have
@Fastb thanks for the help. I think it was the email service. I didn't use Gmail cause a lot of people said it didn't work.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
JFire,

For sensitivity and threshold, there is a neat moving graph that shows the a) the strength of motion detected (height), and b) the MD event that crosses the adjustable threshold. It's in the screen that lets you turn on cells (or off) for MD. And allows 4 sets of cell enabled/disabled, with corresponding 4 sets of sensitivity & threshold. So you can really tailor it. I'll send a screenshot later.

However, I think false events would still be too-common with that type of MD.

"Smart Detect" will hopefully be much better. Check out this thread. Smart Detect is working for me, but I need to figure out how to use it to set an alarm.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/9581-quot-Smart-Detect-quot-feature-of-Dahua-camera!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure which camera you are using but with Hikvision cams (3 or 4MP) I was getting lots of false alarms, then with Huisun v1 even worse especially daylight/night time transition. Now with Longse s500 I rarely see any false alarms and Huisun v2 is not far behind. My guess it has something to do with sensors/processing in these cams.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
JFire,

Here's the screenshot, as promised.
The red cells have MD enabled. I want to avoid wind in the trees setting off an MD alarm.
I have the sensitivity cranked up, because the camera is far from people and cars. The objects won't fill many cells, so I compensate with cranking the gain.
Threshold determines where the solid horizontal bar is placed. (solid bar near the bottom dashed bar)
Green vertical lines didn't cross the threshold.
Red vertical lines indicate motion that exceeded the threshold, and cause an MD alarm.
In "Region", I'm only using Region0 (red)
I may use Region1 and Region2 (yellow & blue). My thinking: If I enable a smaller set of cells, I might be able to lower the threshold (ie: Increase sensitivity selectively), and get trustworthy alarms.
The green and red vertical lines were set off by me walking around in the area where I have MD cells activated. You can see the results aren't very consistent.
Hence my interest in "Smart Detect" trip line and intrusion zone.

MD setup.jpg

Klasipsa,
The camera is Dahua IPC-HFW1200S-W . It's a small Small Bullet, 2MP, 3.6mm lens, WiFi, outdoor.
The camera was moved outside yesterday, so I can't comment on day/night transition performance. But with the MD program ability, I'm hopeful.
And I haven't even fiddled with the anti-dither setting to eliminate very fast events, such as falling leaves/branches. And maybe shadows from fast-moving clouds on bright & sunny day

fastb

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Fastb I'm interested smart detect features as well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@JFire: Not all camera have "Smart Detect"
I bought two cameras before I learned of "Smart Detect"

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@JFire: Not all camera have "Smart Detect"