~2 fps on two cameras suddenly, low CPU usage. Frustrating problem out of the blue!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Blue Iris system at home with 2 Hikvision cameras. The Blue Iris machine is hosted on a virtual machine running Win7 on a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140, with two logical cores assigned (3.2GHz Xeon) and 2GB RAM. Ram usage is around 50% and CPU around 10% with this issue. Before the sudden FPS drop, RAM was at the same and CPU typically around 30%, and I had no problems streaming 12-15 fps from both cameras before. The BI VM is on a SSD and dumps clip storage after the first 25GB to the storage in the VM host. This configuration has been working great for months up until recently. I am also using bp2008's UI2 interface for web access, and Blue Iris Tools for temp overlay. I do not use direct-to-disc recording, and never needed to. I prefer the time and date overlays to be part of the clips. The very low FPS issue is the same externally or inside the network.

Here is the FPS as reported in BI admin console for my front porch camera.
21bVNYP.jpg

The weird thing is, the garage camera is reporting about the FPS it should be, however streaming this one over the web interface puts it at the same level as the front porch (never higher than 2FPS)
erm5a4W.jpg

Also weird, the yellow ! alert is in the bottom right of the main admin console, but there are NO "warnings" actually in the log itself. From what I've researched it seems this generally means low frame rate. The log is however showing an occasional disconnect on the front porch cam. This whole issue is totally out of the blue as there have been no changes. Cat6 running through the house to the cameras that I terminated myself and had tested originally and all was working great before, as I said.

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

• Changed recording to direct-to-disc, no change
  • Rebooted both cameras and server
  • Verified i-frames match FPS on both cams
  • Deleted a bunch of older clips from the archive and the SSD cache
  • Disabled Blue Iris Tools and overlays, no change
  • Updated BI to most current version
  • Ran CrystalDiskMark speed tests to ensure not a drive speed issue, speeds are as expected

After work today, I plan to take a cable tester home from work and verify that the cable is good once again. I still believe it to be a software issue. I also have another camera that I can set up, so I'm going to do that after work and see if that one behaves the same. I have not reset the switch (Netgear GS108T) or the VM host yet. Any help or tips in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Re: ~2 fps on two cameras suddenly, low CPU usage. Frustrating problem out of the blu

Anyone? :(

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Re: ~2 fps on two cameras suddenly, low CPU usage. Frustrating problem out of the blu

Need a more detailed description .....:nuts:.. wow I am sure with that write up someone will help soon.

Reaction score

Update everyone, it seems the situation is mostly resolved by rebooting my VM host and the main switch. Not sure which one was causing the issue. Also having frame drops when recording, probably because my archive is located on a chunk of the primary data store of the VM host. Going to change that up soon and should see some improvements. Thanks anyways!